Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chevys_gw

help me identify this briggs engine

chevys
15 years ago

Ok, its a 16 hp twin cylinder briggs and stratton. The numbers off the engine say 274844 and family ybsxs 7242vf.

Is this a ELS, intek, IC or what? I cant find any info on it.

I find it odd as hell that its on a simplicity broadmoore as well from about 2000 or 2001. The motor only has about 190 hours on it and runs fine but a couple of things made me take a closer look at it. It has good power and all but was just wondering what sort of life span this thing has. Its not on my mower by the way but curious.

Comments (24)

• bill_kapaun
    15 years ago

Are you POSITIVE it's a Briggs?
    Those numbers don't compute for Briggs.
    They'll use Model, Type & Code.

For Briggs, the last digit (4) indicates a 110V starter motor, as found on some snowblowers.

• chevys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Bill, yes Im positive its a briggs. These are the only numbers I could find. The number 274844 does sound like a briggs model number because my engine is a 294777. Its a 14 hp vanguard. Im wondering if this is their lowest line motor to be honest.

What is the pecking order in briggs engines these days.

• bill_kapaun
    15 years ago

294777 IS a model number!

There are 999,999 combinations that "sound" like Briggs Model numbers!~
    27xxxx is not in my list of the approx. 700 Briggs IPL's I have.

Vanguard is considered the best Briggs, since they don't make it themselves.

• mowernoob
    15 years ago

Chevys, you are looking at the emission lable. The Model/ Type/ Code should be stamped somewhere else on the engine. If it is an Intek, it should be on one of the valve covers. Not sure of the location for the Vanguard.

• chevys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks mowernoob. Im going to look again when I get the chance. Maybe I gave you all some bad information but that is all that I could find in a short period of time. I do remember something about on a scale of 1-5 that this engine was a 2 as far as polution but to be honest I didnt pay much attention to it. I may take a picture of it and post here so the experts can help out.

• chevys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry, I gave the numbers off of the emissions label. Im going to double check this when I get a chance but this looks like its a ELS motor. This is my Dads mower and Im not going to even tell him. He is not in good health and I recently moved closer to my parents and have been doing their yard work.

He basically wrecked a broadmoore after having several strokes and traded in a old unit that had a vanguard on it.He is lucky to be alive and the saftey switches may have saved his life. Thank God the mower died when he flipped it off of a hill side. I had NO idea that they even put the ELS motor on these.
    I never even looked at it until I started using it to mow with because I was afraid Dad had never changed the oil in it let alone anything else. Now, Im taking care of the lawn and mower and to be honest Im pissed off about this because I feel as though he might have been taken advantage of. I cant say for sure because I was not privy to the deal but I know how my Dad used to be and he would have wanted the vanguard.

Can anybody tell me how these ELS motors hold up? I know the vanguard should be good for 1000 hours or even more.

• fisher40037
    15 years ago

Look on the valve covers for the model, type numbers.

Fish

• chevys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, I found it on the valve cover.

model 405777
    type 0134e1
    code 020825y6

• bill_kapaun
    15 years ago

Intek ELS built Aug 25, 2002

• chevys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Bill. Any idea how many hours these engines are good for?

• walt2002
    15 years ago

The time any engine "is good for" varies widely depending on what kind of care is given it, how well it is maintained and serviced. I think you are worrying needlessly.

Walt Conner

• rustyj14
    15 years ago

Yep, most engines run well, if maintained with oil changes, air filters, etc. But, ignore frequent servicing and some day you might hear a loud BANG, and you will be pushing it under the back porch, and going out to look at new ones! I have engines running that are 10-15 years old, and they were given to me, in old tractors, etc.
    Can't look a gift horse in the mouth, ya know!

• chevys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the help. I dont know how often the oil has been changed ect and like I said it has around 200 hours on it now. I will change it once a year or around 50 hours or so.

What made me take a closer look was pulling a cart. My 14 hp vanguard seems to have a lot more torque at around half throttle. I noticed the intek struggled more even though it is a higher hp rating.

Guys, Im a huge simplicity fan but Im very disappointed that they put an intek on a broadmoor. A regent maybe but Im not happy about this and it seems to be only for a particular year model to compete with the big box store mowers.

Also, the manuel says it has a K61 tranny I think. Mine has the K57. Anybody know the difference? Im mowing some real hilly areas so I feel like Im really pushing the rig and Im worried about the longevity of the unit. Maybe Im paranoid I dont know.

I wish I had a 23/50 simplicity conquest but it does not make sense from the money side of things.

• bill_kapaun
    15 years ago

I'm surprised the engine is only 16 HP!
    31xxxx series Inteks ranged as high as 20 HP. (31P977)
    The lower rated ones were around 16HP.
    You have about 30% more displacement!

44xxxx series seem to run 20-27 HP.

• walt2002
    15 years ago

Something screwy here.

Walt Conner

• chevys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bill, the thing has good power. I know it has 40 cubic inches compared to the 29 my 14 hp has but i can feel the difference.
    The intek govoner rolls in much quicker it seems although it seems to have plenty of power to pull the 44 inch deck in some nasty stuff. It does a good job in all honesty. I really cant complain. I just wonder how long it will last becasue simplicity makes mowers that will nearly last forever if you can keep them powered.
    The vanguard is still the better piece no doubt. Im really sold on how good they are compared to Kawasaki and others.
    I really like mine and would buy another in a heartbeat.

• chevys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just to follow up. Walt, what do you find screwy? I will take a picture of the engine and post it here if you dont believe me. Having taken over yard duties I have to say Im pretty impressed with the intek. Its a 16 horse pulling a 44 inch deck and has plenty of power. How long it will last who knows but I will try to take care of it. Im honestly surprised how good it does. Seems like the vanguard has more torque down low but thats just my seat of the pants observation.

• walt2002
    15 years ago

"I will take a picture of the engine and post it here if you dont believe me."

Not a matter of not believing what you are saying. Your model number indicates this is a 40 cubic inch engine. The OLD flat head engines generally figured a little over 2 cubic inches per hp., 25 cubic inch, 11 hp, 28 cubic inch, 12 - 13.5 hp. while 28 cubic inch OHV ran up to 16 hp.

I've been out of town for several days. I am not experienced with either of these engines. I have a friend who works on a lot of lawn mowers and he dropped one of each, Intek OHV and a Vanguard OHV off at my house while I was gone. Sure enough, one says it is A Vanguard 303777, 16 hp. 30 cubic inch, 16 hp. The other is a 40???? (forgot) Intek and friend says it is 23 hp., no sticker on it.

Will check these things out as soon as I get time.

Walt Conner

• chevys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Walt, I remember several years back my Dad had a cub cadet that was a model 1562 I think. Cant remember for sure. Anyway, then engine had a 15 hp sticker on the breather but the koler tag said it was a 18 hp. It was a marketing gimmick and even the dealer that sold it to him said it was.

I dug a little deeper and find it odd for a 16 hp to be 40 CI.
    Maybe it is and maybe its another marketing gimmick. Who knows.

• bill_kapaun
    15 years ago

"Also, the manuel says it has a K61 tranny I think. Mine has the K57. Anybody know the difference?"

http://www.tufftorq.com/prodcomp.asp

"What made me take a closer look was pulling a cart. My 14 hp vanguard seems to have a lot more torque at around half throttle. I noticed the intek struggled more even though it is a higher hp rating."

Maybe you have a weak cylinder?

• rustyj14
    15 years ago

Hoo, boy, all this talk about horse power, displacement, wrong engines, etc. has me confused!
    I was given a Simplicity Broadmoor, with a trashed 14 h.p. Kohler engine. (If i could have picked it up and shook it, it would of sounded like a bag of walnuts!)
    So, having a good old white in color 12 h.p. Briggs engine in stock, used but not abused, i installed it, and the tractor does the main thing, which is mowing while under way! Isn't bothered by slopes or hills. Just keeps going and going and going!

• Eugene Hill
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Does anyone know if this engine is hard cranking or is it just mine ? It is B& S 274884 family: ybsxs.7242vf 21.0 HP

• tomplum
    2 years ago

It's just yours. The majority of the Briggs model numbers are stamped on the valve cover. When these crank hard, it tends to be that the compression release doesn't work due to excessive valve lash or a damaged compression release arm on the cam.

• 2cubsfan
    5 months ago

I have an old murray that I am trying to convert it with an oil filter but cant find the conversion kit I need, the numbers on the engine read ybsxs.7242vf 274844. any recomendations ?

Sponsored
More Discussions