Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pschuette_gw

Craftsman DLT 2000 won't go forward/reverse

pschuette
15 years ago

I have checked to make sure the belt is still on the pulleys and it seems to be alright. I pulled on the belt and all of the pulleys seemed to be working properly. The brake/clutch doesn't have any resistance. I tried to follow the brake rod back to see if there was any springs broken but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Is there some mechanism that keeps some sort of tension on the pulleys when the brake is disengaged. This seems to be where the problem might reside. The manual doesn't say a whole lot about fixing the problem other than the normal stuff. Engine runs fine. I look forward to hearing from all of you experts. Fall is coming and I have lots of hardwoods. This is the busy time of year for me.

Comments (9)

• rustyj14
    15 years ago

check the connection of the shifter rod to transmission. Check the foot pedal to see if it is rusted and not moving. check the brake mechanism on the right front side of the transmission. It might be stuck on!

• rustyj14
    15 years ago

Another thing--did you have the back wheels off recently? Did you insert the axle keys when re-installing the wheels!?

• pschuette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rustyj14 thanks for your input. I got under the tractor and followed the rod back to the pulley in the back and it seems to be operating normally. What I did find is that the brake pedal seems not to be coming back to normal position after depressed. In other words, if I pull back on the brake pedal with the heal of my foot and press the accelerator pedal the tractor moves forward and reverse. As soon as I let go of the brake pedal the belt loses just enough tension so that the unit won't go forward. Is there some mechanism that is supposed to be on the brake pedal to keep the tension on the belt. It almost seems like a tension spring fell off or something but I can't tell if there is supposed to be one.

• kirk39
    15 years ago

From what you decribe ,sounds like it could be the Drive Belt,or your Transmission could require purging (See Manual Purge the Transmission)
    Good Luck

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

What I did find is that the brake pedal seems not to be coming back to normal position after depressed. In other words, if I pull back on the brake pedal with the heal of my foot and press the accelerator pedal the tractor moves forward and reverse. As soon as I let go of the brake pedal the belt loses just enough tension so that the unit won't go forward.

sounds like you lost a spring.

• pschuette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I followed the brake rod to the back of the tractor. There is a spring there that is on the brake rod itself. The spring seems to be floating freely on the rod. It is surround by washers and nuts. According to the manual all of the parts are there I just don't know if the spring is supposed to float freely or actually be attached to something. If anyone that has a DLT 2000 could look at theirs and tell me how it is attached I would greatly appreciate it.

• tomplum
    15 years ago

There is a compression spring on the rod and some a tension spring that hooks on the front caliper bolt if I recall. The 917 # from under the seat would be helpful. Make your life easier and pull the r/h rear tire so you have access. Sometimes a coating of rust on the back of the lever can bind. A light lube can help it along- not on the disc! It may take an adjustment via the castle nut. Tho it sounds like the brake releases with help I'm guessing the caliper is ok. Sometimes the 2 actuating pins seize in the caliper and then the caliper needs to come off and be freed up + the disc on the shaft as well. Once you get the lever moving freely tho, it should be fine.

• pschuette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Turns out it was the clutch tension spring. The spring had shot up into the front housing of the motor and was barely poking out. Actually I am amazed I found it. I ordered a new spring it was around $7 but it cost $8.50 to ship what a load of crap. Anyway when I get the spring I am hoping I can figure out where it was supposed to attach. I think I have a reasonable idea. Thanks for all your help. This forum has assisted me on numerous occasions.

• HU-460386510
    8 months ago

Are you still following this? i have the same issue. the spring is floating at the seeming end od the brake rod.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions