Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
y2kcowboy

Is Aloe supposed to Stink?

y2kcowboy
14 years ago

I inherited an aloe from my neighbors mother, it was all kinds of blown out overgrown and ugly, so i potted a couple of the 'pups' i think you guys call them, and was debating what to do w/ the rest of it. I brought the mother plant to my other neighbors porch and tore off some of the big fat leaves for his skin, and then started to notice a decidedly unfavorable aroma in the air.

so i did what any good neighbor would do, I smiled, excused myself, and thought i should go take a shower =P

but before i got there i decided to chop up the rest of the mother plant for compost or something.

and that's when it got even Worse! i realized it wasn't me it was the aloe and it's sickly looking yellow resin (aloin ?)

i'm almost regrettin cuting the thing up, if i had a can of gasoline i'd wash my hands w/ it =P but the question remains . . neiher my gf nor i recall aloe being stinky-pew

i'm not sure what kind it is, but it grows well outdoors in s fl here, and has the classic spotty light green plump plump plump leaves. (soft to firm-ish spines on the sides)

do these things always smell like rotten potatoes and sour onions in plastic bag ? cause if that's the case i might compost it all =P

Comments (8)