Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reallen

decorating with star wars theme

reallen
15 years ago

Hi there - painting sons bedroom for star wars theme and trying to come up with appropriate colors. Thinking of using a silver/gray with 2 horizontal accent strips, one about 6" high (deep blue), the other about 2" high (black), just below the first. What is best position for stipes (top/bottom/middle) Room is small, about 10x14 so want to be sure I am not "closing it in", hence my thought to go somewhat light on the wall color but give it punch with a stripe or two - any ideas, comments, suggestions? I am also planning to add nighttime theme with constellation projections on the ceilings/walls. Trying my best to come up with a good decorative solution. We will be adding some posters of star wars spacecraft over his bed, and a life size darth vadar/darth maul on one 10' wall. Thanks for any/all feedback.

Comments (9)

• mclarke
    15 years ago

Wow, these all sound like great ideas.

How old is your son?

Which movie is his favorite?

The grey sounds great. Maybe it would be good to start with a nice Star Wars poster and get your colors from there?

• susytwo
    15 years ago

Have you ever been to fathead.com? They have a collection of lifesize star wars wall stickons.

My son wants one from their hockey collection.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fathead.com

• reallen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi - Mclarke - my son is six. Favorite is Revenge of the Sith. I decide to get the curtains first to check the tone of blue's. I'll also check against the posters we have picked out.

susytwo, I have looked at fathead and very cool, but a $100 a pop, a bit over price range for this project. Instead, we are getting the life size cutouts ($42)and putting them on the wall. They are cardboard but should work ok.

• canobeans
    15 years ago

Here is my DS' Star Wars room. He wanted purple walls and I found a great color that's sort of blue, sort of purple and complements the posters -- BM Victorian Trim. You can't really see it in this photo but he has an inflatable solar system hanging from his ceiling -- the planets are arranged all over the ceiling in their orbits, with the gigantic sun (it's like 30" diameter) in one corner. He loves it.

Anyway, I think your color ideas are great -- definitely lots of blues you could pull from the posters or other artwork. I would suggest you put the stripes about 1/3 of the way up from the floor, if it works with the furniture, etc. PUtting the stripes right in the middle would cut the room in half, and it sounds like the ceiling is going to be pretty busy already so I wouldn't put them up high.

• citymomof3
    15 years ago

OOoo! A metalic silver wall would be really cool for a star wars room! I can't remember if accent walls help make a room seem bigger or smaller tho. Anyone know??

• spitfire_01
    15 years ago

Hi,

My son is 8, soon to be 9. His room is a little outer space, a little Star Wars, and a little Lego. It sounds like you want more of a true Star War's theme, but I'll describe our room in case it gives you some ideas.

My son wanted his room to look like the inside of a space ship, but I didn't want plain gray, so I used a muted blue-gray. I used the darkest color on the strip to paint two "portholes", a small one near his bed and a huge one on a empty wall. (Remember the scenes from Star Wars where Darth Vador and the Emperor watching the battle from a floor-to-ceiling round window?) I painted space scenes (planets, stars, a rocket ship) in the portholes. (Okay, they aren't "professional", but he doesn't mind. He's 8.) Along the top of one wall, about 18 inches from the ceiling, we installed plexiglass shelving held up by silver, industrial-looking brackets. He keeps his Star Wars Lego collection on that shelf. I sewed a few NASA patches onto a plain navy valance for his window covering. I also framed 3 large space-themed posters for his wall.

We found that some of the best accessories were in the teen-decor sections b/c that modern, industrial look lends itself well to a spaceship.

We still need to install his headboard. I bought a piece of silver pegboard to mount on the wall behind his bed. I'm also on the lookout for a small curio shelf that I could spraypaint silver or black to hold his lego Star Wars people.

Have fun with your room!
    Nin

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

Spitfire: did you check IKEA for the lego shelf. See link.
    My son has floating shelves (also from IKEA for his legos) but if you want a curio, they have one for $59

Here is a link that might be useful: ikea

• redlodger
    15 years ago

myschmoopy-- I don't have any decorating advice for you but your post brough a smile to my face :) My son is 8 years old and CONSTANTLY talks about Star Wars. I'm glad some other parent is gettin' it, too! LOL

• spitfire_01
    15 years ago

mlraff53 - Thanks for the suggestion. I guess "curio" was a little misleading. We already have a long run of plexiglass shelving to display his ships. He usually puts his people on the shelf with the ships and they fall down and look junky. DS and I both thought a divided display shelf would be cool for the lego people. We were thinking of something like this:

http://www.displaygifts.com/product/item.php?category=13&item=90

I'd also like to find something that would allow him to display some of his ships above his shelf like they were flying. I *think* I can use an adjustable acrylic bowl holder to display his Millenium Falcon in flight. I wonder if I can modify model airplane risers to display some of the smaller spacecraft.

As popular as Star Wars legos are, you'd think there would be a whole sub-industry devoted to display options. I've googled for "Star Wars lego display" before, and I've decided that the bulk of Star Wars lego collectors are definitely NOT 8-year-old boys whose mommies decorate their rooms. Kwim?

Nin