Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mwlotus

copper sink with stainless steel appliances

mwlotus
14 years ago

Hello everyone. I need your help. I am remodeling my kitchen and will be putting in cream colored cabinets with a cocoa glaze. I would really love to put in a copper farmhouse sink, but wonder if it will look ok with my stainless steel and black appliances? The sink would be fairly close to a stainless steel and black trim stove. I just can't figure out what to do. Do you think a white or bisque colored sink would be better? HELP!!!!

Comments (14)

• karena_2009
    14 years ago

I just went through this debate myself. I can certainly understand the draw of the copper farmhouse sink. I think they are absolutely gorgeous! I will have creamy cabinets with a subtle brown glaze as well and stainless steel appliances with a black enamel 36" range with a stainless steel top and brushed nickel knobs. I also have very small 10 x 10 kitchen. In the end, I've decided to go with a stainless steel farmhouse sink.

It is difficult to match creams and whites in my opinion. Bisque might be okay, but it's hard to tell unless you have a sample of your cabinet door and the bisque colored sink to compare with and even then it depends on the showroom lighting.

I think if you have a larger kitchen, then matching the various finishes isn't as much of an issue as it for the compact kitchens.

Good luck!

• mwlotus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your opinion. I know that your decision to go with a stainless steel sink makes the most sense. Unfortunately, I honestly don't like stainless steel and so even though most appliances these days are stainless steel and one doesn't have much of a choice, I don't want any more stainless steel in my kitchen. This is a hard one. Thanks again.

• idrive65
    14 years ago

I think stainless appliances are neutral enough that you could have a copper farmhouse sink, especially if it would be aged, or hammered, or something other than bright polished. Most people with copper sinks have ss appliances, or integrated appliances with a ss or colored range.

• michellemarie
    14 years ago

Wow. I just had this dilemma myself in the last week. I ordered my cabinets(cherry perimeter and cream island) with the thought all along of using a white farmhouse sink. I changed my mind last week to a copper sink. My ss dishwasher will sit 15 inches away from the copper apron front sink. I just couldn't fathom the ss and copper so close so I ordered a bosch dishwasher wednesday night that will accept a custom panel and now my cabinets are all here(in boxes), but it will take a couple of weeks to get the dishwasher panel. Now the rest of my appliances are ss, but not close to this sink. I will have another dishwasher in ss and a ss steel sink in my island. I think(just my opinion), that it depends on how close to the other appliances you are. You know what your gut is telling you. In my case, I knew I wouldn't be able to look at the beautiful copper sink next to the stainless steel. Good Luck!

• User
    14 years ago

I think as long as you have something else in the kitchen that is copper that will relate to the sink it will be fine. Just the sink by itself copper might look out of place. What about copper light pendants or a pot rack with copper pots hanging?

• armomto3boys
    14 years ago

I didn't go with a farmhouse sink, but I did go for the hammered copper. I just loved it so much, I couldn't go with a stainless sink. I think it looks great and so far everyone just oohs and ahhs over the sink, I don't think they even notice the stainless appliances. My sis bought some beautiful hammered copper cannisters for me and they do help tie it in with the other side of the kitchen.

• jaksopcam
    14 years ago

Wow, another thing I love/hate about GW - it always makes you think and sometimes second guess! I will have creamy cabinets (with a slight coffee glaze) and a cherry island. My copper farmhouse sink is sitting right beside me and I am in love with it and it isn't even out of the box. However, I did not even give a thought to appliance colors - thanks for that!!!!

I will have a stainless steel w/black double oven on the wall opposite the sink. The fridge/freezer will have panels. The cooktop is black w/ss trim and the microwave is ss built-in on the same wall as the sink. My dishwasher is the one throwing a wrench in the whole thing because it is only a few years old and so we have decided not to replace it. I thought I had bought one that could accept a panel - but I didn't so that will be black and right next to the sink.

Anyway, my point is I think SS appliances will be fine. I never considered that they wouldn't. I sort of consider them as neutral. Take a look at the finshed kitchen blogs under copper sinks. There aren't alot of them but they will give you an idea of what others have done. Also, I think if you can find hardware that has some copper elements to it, that would be a nice tie-in with the sink.

Now, what are you doing about a faucet? That's where I've been spending my time lately! Good luck.

• curlygurly
    14 years ago

Hi Marionnyc!

My kitchen is currently being redone. I have two copper sinks in my kitchen...one large undermount and a bar/prep sink...one is hammered...the other just antiqued...they are already installed, marron cohiba granite. my cabinets are a creamy white and will have a chocolate pencil glaze when done. Although my kitchen is not done, it's already breathtaking. My main sink is surrounded by wine fridge to the right and a dishwasher to the left both stainless. If you want the copper sink ...go for it. You won't regret it :)

• mwlotus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you....thank you....thank you!!! I love all the support I received for going ahead with the copper sink. That is what I really want, but was so afraaid to make a huge mistake as part of the biggest renovation I have ever done. And we all know what expense that is. Even though the copper sink will be between a black dishwasher and a stainless steel/black stove, I guess I will do it, as most of you have kindly suggested. I just wanted to say that I actually found a farmhouse sink that is copper on the outside and stainless steel on the inside to help with this problem that seems to be more pervasive than I had imagined. I thought it was just me. Got to Rachiele.com and look at the 'eclipse' sink. Very interesting.

• flyinghigh
    14 years ago

We have a black dishwasher next to our copper farmhouse sink but also have some SS in the kitchen. I have put a link here to a photo that shows both. We tied everything in with the ORB finish faucets and some copper tile on the backsplash. We were considering some copper pendants but are really happy we went with some unique hand blown glass pendants. The pendants, sink and floor get the most attention in our kitchen. I think the black in the dishwasher coordinates really well with all the elements in the kitchen and the SS in some of the other appliances doesn't distract as they are not directly next to the sink.

After two years, we still love our sinks and have just purchased a copper tub and copper sink for a bath project we are currently working on.

The Eclipse is interesting, but I think it would drive me nuts long term. It's hard to beat the rustic character of a hand hammered kitchen sink. Just make sure you buy the thicker 14 gauge and a genuine Mexican sink from a reputable dealer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper Sink with Black Dishwasher

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

I just wanted to chime in with a thumbs-up, too. I don't have a copper sink but full-on copper countertops with stainless and white appliances. It seems to work pretty nicely. When you think of the color coordination, think of a darker bronzey brown rather than the fresh salmon color of unfinished copper -- the brown is closer to the finish your sink will arrive in.

My cabinet knobs are vintage copper and I have a copper pot rack, so I agree with the suggestion to have some copper resonate somewhere else, too.

Go for it!

• karena_2009
    14 years ago

I came across this post lately, so I don't know if you have seen it or not, but it's an example of how different finishes (stainless steel, black, and copper) were combined.

Here is a link that might be useful: French Country Color Scheme

• mwlotus_aol_com
    14 years ago

All of your suggestions and photographs (wow Karena!!!---absolutely gorgeous....), I am forging ahead with the copper farmhouse (dark-hammered) sink. I have a few places I've settled on. Does anyone have any warnings about where NOT to go, or recommendations about where to buy the sink? I have tentatively picked the copperdepot.com. Also, I think the oiled bronze faucets would go best.....

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022