Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrea_conrath

Leather Furniture Online - purchase w/o seeing in person

Andrea Conrath
9 years ago

Need feedback on buying leather furniture online - particularly leather furniture expo, but any other advice on other vendors or brands is appreciated! Thanks!!

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Elite Interiors & Furniture Gallery
    9 years ago

We would always recommend our customers from out of our area see the upholstered item in person & sit on it prior to purchasing from us. You want to make sure the cushions are comfortable or if you feel you need to change the cushions (and you should find out what type cushion is on the item you are checking). Another reason is you want to make sure the item "fits" you & your household members. What we mean by "fit" is that the seat depth & the seat height is good for your body frame.

• Andrea Conrath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your input. Obviously the best is to see in person but if that's not an option, would like input on things to consider. I think you can look at the specifications (seat height and depth, etc) and find a pretty good approximation of that in a local store to check for things like fit. We have looked in stores and found much more we liked online; I would love to hear from any one (PERSON) who has bought online with LeatherFurnitureExpo or any other dealers or brands. Cost is a consideration (although not the only one; we'd still like something above the typical "room store" or Ashley furniture level).

• PRO
    V-Dub Furniture Store In Arizona
    9 years ago

You want to make sure the cushions are comfortable or if you feel you need to change the cushion.

• Andrea Conrath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Got it, appreciate your time spent responding. But as i said twice now, looking for feedback from people who've done otherwise.

• samham1127
    9 years ago
    Andrea, I have purchased 2 full living room sets from Wellington's Fine Leather Furniture online. I can't walk into a showroom and get the same quality and comfort from anything on a showroom floor, and the fact that the price is the best I've found for the quality really helps. The Wellington's staff is really awesome and really easy to talk to. I worked mostly with Stephanie and she was so helpful with all my crazy requests! She sent me multiple color swatches in order to really narrow down my search. I can 100% say that buying my leather furniture online was a stress free experience.
  • debbie12153
    9 years ago

Your height can play a part of how comfortable the furniture will be for you.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

What does it feel like? The leather sofa I'm laying on now has moderate texture and a somewhat creamy feel in hand. If this sofa is for a room you actually use and you can't afford to turn around and sell it if you don't like the untested product go see it in person first.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Andrea, are you having trouble finding something in particular? Can you not find the brand of a style or two to at least consider and compare? Have you looked at leathers and gotten a feel for the types you like -- for fit and feel as well as for wear characteristics? have you been dealing with anyone at Leather Furniture Expo?

The reason I am asking is because a guy named Sam there has just helped me and it turns out I cannot order from them due to an "exclusive color" or I would. I've had numerous issues with the local store over the last couple of months. If you have to order without actually seeing the item, you need to have someone who can work with you very knowledgeably -- and you ave to be able to tell them particulars -- like height, long-waisted or short waisted people, softness or firmness you desire on cushions, pets/kids or none, etc. And you need to have an idea of what kind of leather you like and how you want it to wear.

I have been looking at Omnia recently and that is one of the lines LFE carries. Everyone I have sat on is comfortable. Some are better for sitting and chatting while others would be great for lounging and TV watching. All the leathers have been nice quality, but I did not prefer the ones with the highly polished, firm leathers -- they sit firmer and I sometimes feel like I could slide off rather than sink in. We also found that we liked a taller back, especially if we are going to look at reclining pieces. We liked the look of one called the Dakotah, but the back was not tall enough for reclining or lounging -- it would be great for sitting. So your use will factor in too.

If you know enough about what you want and need and can work with someone who really knows their products, you can probably get to something that is going to work for you -- but the fit and feel of both furniture in general and leather in particular make it something that really lends itself better to a tactile experience for most folks. That's why you are getting the responses you are. We want to touch it and feel it.