Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butter924

Are 15" deep cabinets useful?

AMY HONG
8 years ago

I'd like to hear from anyone who has used 15" deep cabinets (drawers and shelves) in their kitchens. I'm concerned they are too shallow to be useful.

We have a narrow kitchen and limited cabinet space, so are considering the 15" deep drawers for island and 15" deep tall cabinets for pantry. We will only have 2 banks of 24" deep drawers in the whole kitchen.

We will also have a walk in pantry in the laundry room across the hall, so this don't be the only option for storage. Also, we are doing ikea sektion.

Comments (16)

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

How wide are the 15" deep base cabinets with drawers?

• AMY HONG
    Original Author
    8 years ago

the 15" deep will be 24" wide and 36" wide

the 24" deep will be 36" and 18" wide

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I had a 12" deep tall pantry cabinet in the old kitchen (I still have the top section because I cut the tall cabinet off and made an upper cabinet). I found it very useful, and much easier not to 'lose' items in the back. I put an 18" deep upper cabinet above a MW cabinet, and I don't really care for it--it's too hard to reach the stuff in the back, so I store things I don't use often. I think 15" would be useful without being too deep.

I had a couple of shallow drawers (also 15" wide) that backed up to a built in bookcase in the LR. They were at the edge of the kitchen, under the baking counter, so I kept cooky cutters and other small baking items in them. I re-used them in a built in cabinet in the guest room--thought they'd be perfect for socks. ;)

• sherri1058
    8 years ago

I have some 12" island shelves that I like, but will likely switch to 15" (with drawers) when I redo the kitchen. It's is so easy to access anything when the shelves are not deep. My favourite cabinet in my current kitchen is a 16" cabinet (21"wide). It houses all my dinnerware as well as larger serving pieces. I think the shallow cabinets are really useful!

• AMY HONG
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Great, that makes me feel better about the pantry.

what about island drawers? They are 15" deep but inner depth is more like 12" deep. Anyone experience those?

• lisa_a
    8 years ago

What do you plan to store in the drawers in the island? If the items will fit in a 12" deep drawer, front to back or side to side, no problem.

One of the homes on the Remodeled Home Tour a few years ago had a wall of cabs that were only 15" deep that included drawers. The designer said that the homeowners loved the cabs, adding that they felt they were the perfect depth for their needs.

Check out these 3 photos (sorry, can't figure out how to embed photos from outside houzz).

http://www.debseeleydesigns.com/wp-content/gallery/kitchen-remodels/thumbs/thumbs_edwards_kitchen_.png

http://www.debseeleydesigns.com/wp-content/gallery/kitchen-remodels/edwards_kitchen_2.png

http://www.debseeleydesigns.com/wp-content/gallery/kitchen-remodels/edwards_kitchen_3.png

• 12crumbles
    8 years ago

I'm looking forward to having some 18" and 22" deep cabinets with drawers. I always have sloppy drawers with stuff in the back and not readily visible. I want a more "fitted" look. As far as useful meaning is there stuff that will fit in more shallow? Sure. Isn't there always something that needs a drawer but doesn't need full depth? Actually, it seems to me that very little that goes into a kitchen drawer needs to be in a full depth drawer. If it doesn't fit that way, turn it the other way.

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

If you make the pantry 12" deep....would the island be 18"? Are they across from each other? If so, I'd rather have deeper drawers on the island and shallower shelves for the pantry.

• Kippy
    8 years ago

I have been looking at the IKEA narrow depth cabinets as a solution to the short runs I have in a U shaped lay out. I plan to use them to keep flours spices measuring etc in them. The big stuff I plan on keeping on the shelves in the pantry

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    8 years ago

Our uppers are all 12" deep and they work fine. Can't speak to the drawers. All my drawers are lower and much deeper. Good luck to you.

• Ziemia
    8 years ago

I have a wall of 12 inch cabinets - uppers and lowers. All doors / no drawers. They are perfect for dishes and glasses. I've never missed the extra depth.

• cluelessincolorado
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We had 16" cabinets/drawers in our previous kitchen. Great size! Only had two drawers, cutlery and "junk".

• Ashley Creed
    11 days ago

I've been looking for 15in deep base cabinets for my pantry, preferably with drawers. Anyone have recommendations?

• akrogirl32
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

We had 12” deep cabinets in our old pantry/laundry room, and 15” cabinets in our coffee bar area that also housed our microwave. Both worked very well for their indended purpose. We had used Ikea, so my husband cut down 24” cabinets make the 15” ones.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    11 days ago

Ikea wall and pantry cabinets are now 15” deep and drawers are available