Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladydub

Corian sink cracked - Repair? Replace?

ladydub
7 years ago

Here is a photo of a sink in a rental property that I just started managing (I'm a Realtor). The sink has two large cracks in the bottom. The sink is Corian and integrated with the Corian countertop.

I know virtually nothing about Corian. Is this something that can be repaired? If not, is it possible to cut out the sink and just install a new sink? I guess it would have to be undermount because of the drainboard. Or am I looking at having the entire counter and sink replaced? I called my go-to countertop company, but they mostly do granite and quartz and said this is not a job they would touch unless it was a total replacement.

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

" Is this something that can be repaired?"

No. The sink must be replaced.

"If not, is it possible to cut out the sink and just install a new sink?"

Yes. I just estimated a job like this today in the $1,500.00 range including the sink and plumbing.

"I guess it would have to be undermount because of the drainboard. Or am I looking at having the entire counter and sink replaced?"

The countertop is fine, it doesn't need to be replaced, however, I'd recommend looking at the Staron (A2321) acrylic or the Karran Edge series as replacements.

This is what you're looking at. A drop-in Vault series Kohler will save you labor money if that's an issue.

I'd cut that top off and do all the work at the shop. Virtually no mess on site.

• PRO
    Taylor's Cabinets & Interiors
    7 years ago

Depending on how much counter top you have, spending that money on new counter might be a better option.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

This was just over a thousand dollars and the customers provided the Vico stainless steel single bowl sink. It came with a nice grate for the bottom.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

"Depending on how much counter top you have, spending that money on new counter might be a better option."

Good point. It's always about cost-effectiveness in my business. I've had calls to repair Wilsonart's discontinued Solid Surface Veneer and told the potentials to spend the money they would have paid me to repair it as a down payment on new tops.

On a job like this however, a refinish of the Corian tops is included so the customers are getting new tops. The old tops leave in my dust collector.

• ladydub
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you so much for all the advice. I'm glad to know it can be repaired and figured it would be at least $1500 or so. I wasn't sure a drop in sink would work like the Kohler because of the drain board integrated in the Corian. Wouldn't the water run underneath the lip of the sink?

These counters are original so about 22 years old, but seem to be in almost perfect condition. What is the life span of Corian?

If I can find someone in my area who can do this kind of repair, I will probably price that against a Level 1 granite.

I really appreciate all the expertise and the photos!

• ladydub
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Another question...how do I find someone in my area that can/will do this? I'm in Hampton Roads, VA (Virginia Beach/Norfolk) if anyone has a recommendation. The countertop companies that sell Corian that I've called aren't excited about this job. In fact, I'm being told by some of them that they are too busy for service work at the moment since it's the busy season.

• weedmeister
    7 years ago

Notice that his pictures are of an undermount sink replacement. If you can get the colors to match, that is what you should do.

Corian is a solid plastic. It should last probably longer than the cabinets.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

My Corian counter tops are 31 1/2 yrs old and still in perfect condition. How long they last depends on abuse vs normal wear and tear. In a rental property, granite might be more forgiving,

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

Corian is more durable than granite when it comes hard water, staining, and chipping. It is easier to maintain and refinish too.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

"I wasn't sure a drop in sink would work like the Kohler because of the drain board integrated in the Corian. Wouldn't the water run underneath the lip of the sink?"

I wrote before I noticed the drainboard. You're going to have to go with an undermount or a sink with a built-in drainboard. An apron sink will work well and is fairly easy to retrofit.

• practigal
    7 years ago

My understanding is that any color of Corian can be attached to any color Corian. I don't know if your color is still made, but it looks like the kind where they could attach a new piece onto your old pace to change the shape of the sink space to accept the new sink or you could install a new color sink with a large rim or just install an apron front sink. When it is well done you cannot feel or see the seams. There will be no space between the sink and the countertop for the water to flow through- their interface will be a smooth complete surface- if it wasn't for the difference in color you would not realize that two different surfaces had been joined together.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

"My understanding is that any color of Corian can be attached to any color Corian."

practigal:

You are correct. Corian colors are remarkably consistent throughout the years, so a match shouldn't be too tough.

Some Corian vanity bowls are thermoformed from sheets and the heat from the thermoforming alters the color from the sheet it will be attached to. A bevel edge instead of a rounded edge fools the eye fairly well in that situation.

• jlmuse20
    7 years ago

Ladydub, did you find anyone to do the work? I have the same issue in the Hampton Roads area.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

I drove 15 hours to bail an architect out of trouble once....

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Some people don’t understand that they aren’t making any money right up until their business fails. Markup isn’t margin. Overhead has to include everything. Including the salary that you pay yourself, plus tools and equipment for the business. Plus business profit. All business expense for an entire year, divided by 240. That means that weekend work goes to profit, not overhead. And you get to take time off. All while the truck note gets paid.

• PRO
    Buccieri's Custom Countertops
    4 years ago

Hey Joe, that cost was for a drop in sink. Installing an under-mount would be more. Sometimes it is difficult to find that right price point, thanks for the reminder live_wire_oak.

• zorroslw1
    4 years ago

To all those with Corian sinks and counters. Most likely the cracks were caused by pouring hot liquids in the sink. I have Corian counters with an integrated sink. I did research on how to care for them. It says that never pore boiling liquids into the sink without running cold water in the sink as you pour in the hot liquids to prevent the Corian from cracking.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

If you hit the disposal hole with the boiling water, you'll never crack the sink.

• zorroslw1
    4 years ago

Oh, Joey:)

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

I’ve had an integrated Corian kitchen sink now for 16 years. I follow their instructions and run water when emptying boiling water. No problems at all.