Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshjuran

Quartz - Silestone Charcoal Soapstone and Mont Quartz Nobility

joshjuran
6 years ago

I was dying for pictures to help choose countertops, so here are some of our counters installed yesterday.

Comments (49)

• joshjuran
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here is what it looked like before.

• PRO
    Dale Helmstead
    6 years ago

Whoa. That was red and, well, ugly. The updated kitchen looks like it belongs in this century. Great slab selection on the island - good balance of action in the veining. I'm not seeing any support for the overhang, what did you use? The Charcoal Soapstone is such a good color, neutral in tone and shade, with just enough action to not be boring. I can't wait until the suede version becomes available! These are great pictures showing these products installed correctly. Well done.

• amontagut
    6 years ago
    I've seen mixing colors on counter tops, is this the new trend?
  • PRO
    Mega Builders
    6 years ago

Very nice!

• Chessie
    6 years ago

I love it!

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Nice job, I wonder if they could have made the angle on the island a bit more curved? Wondering also what the backsplash is going to be?

• Chessie
    6 years ago

I like the angle, would much prefer that to a curve.

• joshjuran
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Dale - There were two steel supports running across the top of the cabinets supporting the overhang on the old corian counters. We reused them to support the new quartz counters.

Amontagut - my wife and I had been going back and forth between light gray quartz and white marble look-alike quartz for the counters. We hadn't been looking for something as dark as the charcoal soapstone, but when we saw the slab in person at the Cosentino warehouse, we both loved it. But we still wanted something lighter for the island, so we decided to go with the Nobility. They complement each other well because of the similar colors and veining.

it'sALLart - they could have made it more rounded, but we wanted to keep the same angle as the old counters since they follow the turn in the cabinets underneath. Haven't decided on the backsplash yet. Definitely going to be ceramic tile, but we wanted to get the counters in first and then see what looks the best. Most likely going to be white subway tile, but in an elongated size (3x8 or 3x12) and with gray grout. Also, there is a small bar/nook area that you can just see the edge of in the 2nd picture of the old kitchen. It also has the charcoal soapstone countertop and we are going to do something more interesting with the backsplash in just that area as an accent wall (maybe more blue/gray tones and/or geometric)

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

joshjuran, all sounds great. You might try stacked pattern instead of brick pattern, it looks great with those elongated tiles. Takes a bit more time and effort, but the look is very sleek.

• PRO
    M&R Custom Millwork Inc
    6 years ago

Looks Great!

joshjuran thanked M&R Custom Millwork Inc
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    6 years ago

wow, love the island counter top!

joshjuran thanked OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Great improvement!

joshjuran thanked User
  • Cyrenea Millberry
    6 years ago

Thanks for sharing. We will have the Silestone charcoal soapstone installed in our house in a week and I have been stressing about the choice, but these are beautiful.

• PRO
    Stecki Construction
    6 years ago

Fantastic transformation! The white cabinets looks amazing with the countertops! Enjoy your new kitchen!

• PRO
    Napanee Design Ltd.
    6 years ago

Love the combination of the two countertops!

• ctmfisher75
    6 years ago
    It looks great! Did you paint the existing cupboards...if so, were they sprayed?
  • PRO
    Moss Building & Design
    6 years ago

Great countertop combination- both very complementary of each other and the rest of the kitchen!

• jmlinca
    6 years ago

hello - have you chosen a backsplash? Can you share a picture? I have narrowed down two perimeter counter tops (both silestone) and love the idea of a marbled herringbone or white backplash but would love to see what you chose!

• joshjuran
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes, existing cabinets were painted. Doors sprayed and boxes hand painted.

Still working on choosing a backsplash. Will post pictures once it's all done.
  • N Steele
    6 years ago

can i ask what your price per square foot of the silestone countertops ended up being? These are the exact 2 i am looking for in my kitchen remodel, actually your whole kitchen is what i am going for! lol

• Cait Barnett
    6 years ago

Beautiful remodel, thank you for sharing - VERY helpful to have photos. We are considering the same Silestone in Charcoal Soapstone for our kitchen? Are your cabinets white or off white? We are installing off white cabinets and aren't sure if the veining in the Charcoal Soapstone will clash with the off white cabinets. Looks like the walls are a grey hue as well? Thank you!!

• PRO
    Redkorp Inc - Design & Construction
    6 years ago

Love it, looks great!

• KD
    6 years ago

Love it.

Great combination of countertops. I wish we could do something like that in our kitchen but we don’t have room for an island. :)

• Dawn CL
    6 years ago

Was just looking up this Silestone color and these came up. I love it and it's almost exactly what I think I'm doing in my kitchen as far as colors go.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    5 years ago

We have the Silestone Charcoal Polished installed in our showroom and they look more blue than black. Do yours look bluish in real life? The Suede sample we have does look more black, but our display? Definitely looks blue. Let me know what you think.

Here is a photo of our display with the suede finish on top of it.

And a photo of the display

• amontagut
    5 years ago
    what are your thoughts about peel & stick backsplash?
  • Robin Reid-Anderson
    5 years ago

Any feedback on how this all turned out? I'm looking at Suede finish of the soapstone charcoal Silestone. Looking good so far!

• pattieah
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The Kitchen Place, we looked at this at a showroom the other day and fell in love with it. It looked exactly like your photo. Then we saw it on line and it looked black. Would like to hear what joshjuran has to say as well. Love the combination with the island. Great job.

• PRO
    PRM Custom Builders
    5 years ago

New countertops are always great for sprucing up the kitchen for that fresh change feeling, enjoy!!

• kculbers
    5 years ago

I love that Silestone Soapstone counter. I plan on using that same choice (polished) with the Vista Gray Plain & Fancy cabinetry for my kithchen makeover. I have similar light wood floors. Your kitchen looks stunning and classic; enjoy that beautiful kitchen !! It looks super with the stainless steel appliances too.

• Ellen Nolan
    4 years ago

The Kitchen Place,

That suede sample you have on top of the polished Charcoal Soapstone doesn't look like the same quartz.. I have the suede version and the veining is more like your polished, not at all like the suede sample you've shown above. I will say, mine does 'read' a little blue-green in some lighting.

• joshjuran
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sorry haven’t checked this in awhile. Yes, ours reads a little more blue gray than black, but not as light as it seems to look in the kitchen place photo

• PRO
    Door Corner
    4 years ago

Really beautiful! Great before and after pics!

• decordummy_gw
    4 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!! Now that you have lived with the polished Silestone Charcoal Soapstone for awhile, how do you like it? Pros/Cons? Has it faded? I heard that in sunlit kitchens it might fade.

• Justin W
    2 years ago

Any updates on this product?

• kculbers
    2 years ago

I had a kitchen renovation done 2 years ago with Silestone soapstone counters and “Plain & Fancy” vista gray cabinets. The Silestone counters look as good as the day they were installed. Easy clean up with dishsoap and water! I am quite happy with my kitchen❣️

• Justin W
    2 years ago

Thank you

• Chessie
    2 years ago

I really do love that soapstone-look quartz. If I had gone with dark counters, that would have been my first choice! They are beautiful.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    2 years ago

UPDATED POST: So we decided to remove the Silestone Charcoal Soapstone display in our showroom since it looked so BLUE. I repurposed it on a Butler's Pantry job with white cabinets and guess what happened? It now looks more gray/black! Crazy how colors can change! The top now looks gorgeous! Trying to find a photo of it to post here....stay tuned.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    2 years ago

Isn't this weird? Scroll up to see my blue pics. Here is how it looks now installed with white cabinets.

• Chessie
    2 years ago

Color is all about reflected light. Once you realize that, you stop hitting yourself in the head so much and start paying attention to location and lighting. :-)

• llbgal
    3 months ago

I realize this is an older thread. I'm getting my counters replaced soon. I really like the Silestone Charcoal Soapstone.

I currently have laminate and it has been zero problems maintenance wise. I.e. no staining etc.

Question: for those that have this... do you have polished or suede? What has the upkeep been like?

I like the more matte look but I'm concerned that I'll have more issues in terms of maintenance...

• Ellen Nolan
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

Hi! I have the suede Silestone Charcoal Soapstone and while I'm not switching them out at this point (7 years after installation), I will say they have not held up as well as I thought they would and they do 'read' a blue hue in some lighting, which I also am not a fan of. In terms of durability, we have several chips around the edge of the counters and the inside/front edge over our undermount sink. In addition to these problem areas, beware of discoloration if dishes are left to air dry, as that will leave a mark even after sponging down. I really wish I'd taken the sample home or at least brought it outside of the showroom to see what it looked like under that lighting. I may have gone in a different direction. Oh well! Live and learn, I guess.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    3 months ago

I have the polished in my butler's pantry. It still looks great after a few years in. But it does show water spots. I prefer the Silestone Lagoon in my kitchen.....which is a white marble look. If I were ever to do a dark countertop, I would do Black Pearl Leathered! Or real soapstone.

• kculbers
    3 months ago

I last commented in this post on 2021. As of January 2024, my Silestone polished charcoal soapstone countertops still look as good as their date of installation! No chipping, scratching, or staining. I cook from scratch so my counters are used daily. Easy cleanup with dishdoap and water. I highly recommend Silestone!

• Sherry
    2 months ago

@kculbers Hi there, did you get the suede soapstone? thanks!

• Sherry
    2 months ago

@kculbers Hi there! so you would definitely recommend the polished to avoid watermarks, etc? thanks, its beautiful! we are thinking of Accessible Beige colored cabinets with the silestone soapstone.

• kculbers
    2 months ago

Yes Sherry! The polished Silestone Is lovely! No staining, no watermarks, no fuss. They will look beautiful with Accessible Beige cabinets.