Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saint_lucy_dec_13

Rubbing Alcohol to remove latex paint splatters from hardwood floor?

Avon `Lady
6 years ago

Goof Off is working ok, but is rubbing alcohol better, the same or does not work at all? As usual, lots of advice on Google, but hard to separate fact from fiction. Thank you!!!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Denatured alcohol will clean even faster.

Avon `Lady thanked User
  • Avon `Lady
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Will that remove the polyurethane finish from the hardwood floors too? Do not want that. Had the floors refinished last year. Thx!!

• richfield95
    6 years ago

How big are the paint splatters are you dealing with? When I’ve dripped in the past, I’ve always been able to use my thumb nail to scrape it off the floor., if it’s been there a while, I wet the paint first to soften it up

Avon `Lady thanked richfield95
  • Avon `Lady
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Small splotches...1/4 of a dime. Have used my thumbnail for some. Thumbnail had to be trimmed though. What is best to keep polyurethane finish on hardwood floor and remove splotches? Is goof off the best? Is soapy water...like Dawn dishwashing liquid mixed with warm water... a good alternative. Lots of possibilities on Google. Again, hard to know what will work.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

If the poly is oil based it should not.

Avon `Lady thanked User
  • PRO
    Paint sales at Home Depot
    6 years ago

Start with the most gentle solvent first: water > denatured alcohol> Goof Off. Always test in an inconspicuous corner first. Change the rag or paper towels often, so as not to spread the residue. Go to Home Depot and grab a few Formica samples from the kitchen center. They are soft enough material so as not to scratch most surfaces, yet their edges are a lot sharper than a credit card.

A piece of terry towel dampened in hot water often is sufficient to loosen latex paint, especially fresh paint. Terry cloth is more abrasive than knit cotton.

Avon `Lady thanked Paint sales at Home Depot
  • paintguy22
    6 years ago

It depends on what finish is on the floor and how long the floor has been finished. If it's an oil based finish like polyurethane, rubbing alcohol and denatured alcohol will not damage the finish. If it's a water based finish, then the alcohol may dull the finish if left on too long. In that case, I try not to risk it and will gently use my putty knife or rag soaked in water.

Avon `Lady thanked paintguy22
  • PRO
    Paint sales at Home Depot
    6 years ago

There are "water based" urethanes that will not be damaged by denatured alcohol. Acrylic paints and other "latex" variations with acetates etc. will readily dissolve with alcohol. Obviously, if you run across an old fashioned shellac and wax floor finish, the alcohol would take the finish off immediately!

As I said, always test in an inconspicuous corner. It will be immediately obvious if the solvent is damaging the floor. You will immediately feel a drag on the rag as the finish softens.

Avon `Lady thanked Paint sales at Home Depot
  • Avon `Lady
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi all, Thx for the helpful comments. The denatured alcohol works like a charm! Using a roll of fresh paper towels. For thicker splotches, using that and credit card. Much less work than Goof Off. I read Goof Off was reformulated 3 years ago. It now has a lot more acetone than before. I last used Goof Off 6 years ago. I cleaned up huge paint spills my husband caused wih Goof Off and no problem. Goof Off is definitely not the same now as then. Anyway, denatured alcohol is the way to go. Through with Goof Off. Thanks, again!!!

• HU-991378581
    last year

There are two types of Goof Off. To remove paint, you need the one in the metal can.