Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suetutko

I think it's time to update my interior doors. What do you think?

sue tutee
6 years ago

My home is a small, 50's bungalow. We've already opened up the LR/DR/kitchen, installed flat panel dark cabinetry and an island. I think it's about time I finished the job and replaced the dining room pantry, LR coat closet and linen closet doors with 4/5 frosted glass lites. I'll stain them the same dark colour as the other 5 lite door in the kitchen. What do you think? Would new doors give my house a more cohesive look? A bit more finished? I've attached pictures of the DR/hallway and kitchen.

Advice please :)

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    That is a substantial investment and I would use that money for other updates. Also agree with other comments on the doors.
  • sue tutee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

thanks Kathleenandellis - I was thinking of replacing the bedroom and bathroom with panel doors also - but in white. The closet at the end would be dark stained with glass panels, the bedrooms and bathroom white. I think if all 5 doors at the end of the small hallway would be too distracting/busy?

• kathleenandellis
    6 years ago
    Sue, I favor having all the same color and style door in the hallway. With so many doors in close proximity, I think one done differently would draw undue attention to it and cause it to clash with the other doors. Given the size of the space, I think white, with glass for the closet and solid panels for the bed/baths, would be easy on the eye and uncluttered. It is hard to tell from the photos if the kitchen, dining room and other doors are visible from that hallway and would seem not to match the color and style.
  • sue tutee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Kathleen: the 3 doors - kitchen, DR pantry and hall coat closet are all visible to each other. The linen closet is also, but not from the front door - we have a small hallway. I understand what you said about uncluttered - it is my concern too. Should I change the 3 which are in close proximity, OR would it make for a very busy space. I've added a few more photos.

sorry about the sideways - I did flip them, but I guess they didn't save properly.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I did all pixelated glass doors in my 50S ranch all down the hall it is a huge improvement over the solid ones, makes the whole hallway brighter. They are on all the bedrooms , bathrooms no problem you can’t see anything except maybe something moving but no way to know what.I would however use the same color for all the doors in the hallway, you can always do the inside of the doors a different colot than waht faces the hall.BTW we have had those doors for 10 yrs with many guests and not once has privacy been an issue.

sue tutee thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • kathleenandellis
    6 years ago
    Sue, is there anyone that could photoshop your hall and rooms with the different door styles and colors? I am no good at it. It sounds like you should see both looks and decide what suits you best. I would love to see photos. Good luck!
    sue tutee thanked kathleenandellis
  • palimpsest
    6 years ago

I don't know that it's necessary to highlight a skinny pantry door by giving in the same prominence as a room door.

That pantry door has all the prominence it deserves, it's a closet, it's skinny and it's off in a corner. Painting it the wall color and diminishing it is the best option in my opinion.

If I was going to throw money at it I would go one better and put in a trimless jamb and probably a bit of baseboard on the bottom and convert it to a jib door:

sue tutee thanked palimpsest
  • hassan moharrami
    5 years ago

Nowadays, Corean stone, or artificial stone, is the first choice of designers for modern and special kitchens. Given the fact that Cornic stone is produced in a variety of designs and colors, you can choose the types of kinkin sinks according to the color of your kitchen decoration.

• HU-100282381
    10 months ago

If you cover the floor of the house with large ceramics such as ceramic slabs, the appearance of the work will be much better If you are looking for your corridor to look more beautiful and modern, it is better to cover the floor of the corridor with 60x120light ceramic and the walls with light dark 240x120 ceramic, then use thermo wood color for the doors, it will be unique.