Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
overhilldesigns

Kitchen Remodel - the results

overhilldesigns
5 years ago
Just a (late) thank you for those who offered advice on appliances and countertops. It’s been 6 months now, and this kitchen is functioning exactly as dreamed. I designed the layout, the cabinet faces, the interiors (I can show you the pull outs if there’s any interest), the rangehood - everything. This is my Barbie Dream Kitchen and it’s 11 years in the making.

Appliances:

- 36” built in SZ fridge. I had cabinet faces on that wall built to make this look as integrated as a BI can. I’m a huge baker and found that a cookie sheet cannot fit into an integrated unit bc it’s not deep enough. The BI is perfect. I had it designed to match the freezer even though it’s just a single door fridge. Next to it are two mirrored panels to match the shorter leaded panels original to my 1920 home. One is a false front. The other is the door to my walk in (it turns the corner) pantry.

- 30” integrate freezer with two drawers and an ice maker

- 30” Miele double wall ovens. Love the programs but hardly use them. As a cook, it’s hard for me to trust them! I’ll get there.

- custom since and brushed brass hood with a Zephyr fan. Works really well.

- 4 burner plus griddle Wolf. Many cautioned against the griddle. I love it and use it every week. So convenient.

- 30” Miele induction. Amazing! I used it the other night to make custard for ice cream. Done over gas, it’s a slow and hot process. Over induction? I was cool as a cucumber.

- 2 paneled Miele dishwashers. The clean like a charm but I’m still figuring out the best way to stack the racks.

Countertops and walls: here (and the wet bar by the seating area, not pictured) are Mystic White. Sooooo many people said don’t do marble. They were wrong. I’ve had coffee and wine spills. Found berry marks from ages ago. And my favorite - had a Pyrex pan explode, sending a tomato based sauce everywhere. Zero problems. We put a good sealant on it and it’s worked like a charm. I did stupidly knick a side with a metal sheet pan, but that was on me and I don’t worry about it. No one has noticed and I don’t see it (and could buff it if i wanted). I am religious about using silicone mats for bases when I cook and silicone drying mats for when I’m doing dishes. Water marks come and go - you don’t see them on white marble. I LOVE this material and highly recommend it.

- Backsplash on cooking wall and wet bar wall is a tile I saw and loved for how it picks up the light grey of my walls and the dark grey of my hood. (The marble has hues of grey, cream and taupe - I went with heavily veined pieces.)

Anyway, that’s the kitchen! Thanks again for your advice!

Comments (57)

• K R
    5 years ago
    Truly stunning! I love the whole tiled wall, and I especially love how you did the walk in pantry! Amazing!
  • overhilldesigns
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    That’s the Katie Conical Pendant by Thomas O’Brien. The barstools were a actually steal from Overstock.com. They are by Safavieh.
  • litasart
    5 years ago

Thank you @overhilldesigns.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

That walk-in pantry is wonderful!

• PRO
    Mega Builders
    5 years ago

Looks great!

• Cheryl Hewitt
    5 years ago

It's lovely! I bet it's a dream to work in. :)

• mlb418
    5 years ago
    I love your backsplash tile! Can you share more information on it?
  • rantontoo
    5 years ago

Well done.....LOVE your hood!

• zmith
    5 years ago

The pantry doors are gorgeous, as is the entire space. Love all the prep space on the central island. Well done!

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Beautiful!

• sprtphntc7a
    5 years ago

well done! the hood - what a statement piece!! love that u tiled the whole wall-NICE!! the pantry, to die for!!

enjoy and HAPPY COOKING!!

• PRO
    Renov8or
    5 years ago

Gorgeous! You must be so happy.

• AboutToGetDusty
    5 years ago

Beautiful! What cabinet company did you use? Love the streamlined look of the shaker. Classic yet modern at the same time. More details please too on the mirrored doors!

• Nidnay
    5 years ago
    Looks great and I love that you have both the gas burners/griddle AND the induction top nicely placed on the same counter run.....so functional!
  • mark_rachel
    5 years ago

Great job!!

• fifamom
    5 years ago
    Love the hidden pantry
    Love the kitchen.
    Looks just amazing
  • waverly6
    5 years ago

Wonderful, and very well thought out. I'm blown away by the 2 different cooktops. I would never have thought of that! You have fitted a lot in. Can you tell me what the dimensions of your kitchen are.?

• mom2sulu
    5 years ago

Classically beautiful.

You have to share close up pics of the marble backsplash--you are only teasing us with it. :)

• Boxerpal
    5 years ago

That is a terrific kitchen! I love your mix of stainless and the gold/brass hardware. How clever to make those cabinets with mirror and gold/brass. Enjoy your beautiful space.

• ajm27
    5 years ago
    Lovely!
  • bbkieffer
    5 years ago

Not only is that my Barbie dream kitchen, I love the Scooby Doo mystery hidden pantry! It is gorgeous!

• PRO
    KT tile
    5 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    5 years ago

Love it!!

• PRO
  • Kendrah
    5 years ago

Hidden pantry door is the coolest ever and beautiful too.

• PRO
    May Construction, Inc.
    5 years ago

Creative hidden pantry and gorgeous door front. Amazing transformation.

• gthigpen
    5 years ago

Ditto on loving that pantry door! Such a beautiful space! Well done.

• PRO
    Scott Hall Remodeling
    5 years ago

Great job, looks wonderful

• pamelamacleod
    5 years ago
    I am experiencing kitchen envy, just beautiful!
  • overhilldesigns
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Sorry for my late reply to some of you! I have been so busy I haven’t been on Houzz in a while. Many thanks for all of your lovely comments! To answer some of your questions:

- The tile is by New Ravenna. I’m fairly confident it wasn’t meant be be a kitchen backsplash (I also used it behind my beverage center wall, not shown), but I didn’t care. I knew I wanted something to pick up the soft grey of my zinc hood, yet not fight the marble.

- Both the zinc hood and the cabinets were custom made by local guys in Maryland. I worked very closely with each. After tons of research, I designed the hood and selected the materials (who knew zinc came in so many treatment options?). Ditto with the cabinet maker. He was also amazing and put up with me being VERY particular about how I wanted the cabinet face designed (it’s a total knock off of a German cabinet that I loved but could neither afford nor wait for (6 month lead time) and painted.

- These dimensions are approximate, but I think it’s about 18’ x 14’3”. The island is 5’x6’ and there is 4’ distance bn all countertops and island (to accommodate 2 people working back to back). These dimensions don’t include the eat in breakfast area or breakfast bar, which are open to the rest of the kitchen. That adds a good bit of open space.
  • sandi125
    5 years ago
    What finish & brand is your faucet?
  • mom2sulu
    5 years ago

Would you please share the exact name of your New Ravenna tile? It is so lovely!

• overhilldesigns
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The tile is New Fairfax 1.
  • overhilldesigns
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The tile is New Fairfax 1 and the faucet is Waterstone PLP Pulldown in stainless steel.
  • PRO
    Interior Dimensions and Design, LLC
    5 years ago

Beautiful results such as this take time. (So glad you mentioned that part of the process.) Your kitchen is gorgeous.

• User
    5 years ago

Arrrg, I hope this white kitchen garbage isnt getting popular again. That being said, this is nicer then most of the ones I've seen. The brass gets rid of a lot of the "cheap" look.

• Fsal
    5 years ago
    Gorgeous! Where did you get the hardware from?
  • PRO
    Designer Drains
    5 years ago

Love the hood above the stove.

• PRO
    K&D Countertops
    5 years ago

Stunning! Love the walk-in pantry!

• PRO
    Renov8or
    5 years ago

How were the mirrored panels made? I'm thinking about something similar for my bath.

• ssharris03
    5 years ago

It's really pretty!

• overhilldesigns
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The pulls are satin brass Emtek Trail pulls. I had the pantry and false front doors made to match the original 1920 leaded mirror doors in my adjacent dining room. I commissioned someone who makes leaded / stained glass windows to make the panels, and had my cabinet maker attach them to cabinet panels. It was actually easier than it sounds.
  • overhilldesigns
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Oh - and for those who wanted a close up of the backsplash, here are two photos of the breakfast bar (which has the same backsplash at the cooking wall) and a close up of behind the cooktop. (I should note that the walls under the cabinets and around the sink window are all the same marble as the countertop. I didn’t want to deal with wiping at paint.)
  • weezel
    5 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! Thank you for the tile close up.

• PRO
    Stecki Construction
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Looks amazing! Love the tile wall / backsplash! The marble countertops are beautiful! Just be careful with them. It's considered a softer stone and can scratch easier that others! I really like the hidden pantry! Great use of space! Enjoy your gorgeous kitchen!

• lbucelli
    3 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful! Love your marble counter tops. Are you still glad that you went with marble? I'm seriously thinking about using the marble. We use a lot of EVOO & drink red wine. Any lessons learned to share about the marble?

• PRO
    May Construction, Inc.
    3 years ago

Such a beautiful kitchen! Looks great.

• petrablock
    3 years ago

This is the best kitchen I've seen posted recently. Minimalistic with high end materials is what takes this to the top. My remodel has very similar details and no visual clutter. It's soooo easy to have too much stuff out and around anyone's kitchen. As a new empty nester I think this minimal aesthetic is achievable. With kids around for almost 20 years it was just impossible. (Just wondering...is this a family home or mainly adult home?

• overhilldesigns
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Sorry. Just seeing this. This is a family home.

• overhilldesigns
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@lbucelli - I’ve slightly chipped the marble by the sink where I dropped a heavy wet pan. That was my bad, and it is something I could easily buff out. But I LOVE my marble. I’ve spilled red wine, curry, coffee, you name it. It is sealed and does not stain. I highly recommend this marble.