Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmesfl

Enough contrast in BM Natural Cream and White Dove? See Pics please!

lmesfl
5 years ago

We have been slowly remodeling for about 2 years. We are now ready to repaint the whole house. Our kitchen and laundry have been redone, the family room fireplace resurfaced with stone, and floors replaced with white washed oak.

I gravitate to pictures of light neutral paints, creamy furnishings, and blues and greens for accents. I have been looking through paints FOREVER- I think I have 15 samples now! The biggest dilemma has been trying to keep the Navajo white trim everywhere for cost sake. My oak floors and kitchen cabinets (maple) also have yellow and it’s too much. But I am biting the bullet and painting White Dove trim. Current paint is a khaki and it looks very yellow when the sunlight hits it.

For walls, I have landed- I think!- on BM Natures Essentials, which is called Natural Cream now I guess? I ended up with it because all of the typical greige colors appear very grey or purple in my ‘yellow’ home. NC is one that truly looked neutral in all lighting, although it doesn't have much character.

In my family room, the light from the windows to the left in the picture face east and over a pool, so it is quite bright early in the day. The sample colors in the family room get completely washed out- can’t tell the trim sample board from the wall (see on fireplace). In the evening I can see subtle shade differences and I really like it. I might like just one shade darker but...honestly I am sick of looking. Inner balance is on the strip as if one shade darker, but it looks like a totally different color on the wall- much grayer and purplish again. So unless someone knows what that next shade is, I quit!

Also I am trying to use one color for all of the main areas because it is an open floor plan and I like the simplicity of it. The front LR and DR have a few windows but overall it stays pretty dark in there all hours.

So here are my questions please:

Is there enough contrast in Natural Cream and White Dove? Anyone done this?

What should I do about one paint color for the whole main of the house, when the FR it gets so much daylight, but anything darker would likely be too dark in the LR & DR? Do people just accept that one color can’t do it all?

Do you think the white dove trim color on the cabinets to the L &R of the fireplace will look too stark white next to the natural stone? Does it seem that way to me because there is so much cream and brown and yellow, and once it is done it will look just fine? The back splash in the adjoining kitchen is a warm white and there is some in the new counter tops, so maybe it will pull together?

I truly hate paint. Not too strong a word... making me crazy! Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Liz

Comments (28)

• hyehouse
    5 years ago

I think you've done a lovely job. I see a nice contrast between the trim and walls. What makes you doubt your choice?

lmesfl thanked hyehouse
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

Actually if you read the comments on the photo above (Horse Country Home), there are contradictory answers on the trim and wall colors. In fact, the architect stated that he really doesn't know what the colors are, and goes on to rightly say that you can't tell the true color from a photo or a computer monitor. You need to view the colors in your own home with your lighting to get a true reading on how the color will appear.

lmesfl thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • Lara Branen
    5 years ago

I painted a bedroom Ben Moore Wind's Breath with bright white trim (don't know name of color) and love it. When you look at Natural Cream on the Benjamin Moore website, Wind's Breath is listed as a similar color. I love the color - it is almost an off white but I'd describe as a light greige. I debuted Ballet White as a contender but liked Wind's Breath best.

lmesfl thanked Lara Branen
  • Lisa SW
    5 years ago
    I have BM natural cream throughout my entire house with fairly bright white trim (custom color to match windows). I faced your exact dilemma last year...37 samples boards, a family room that was painted with what was the perfect greige except for the wall that turned mauve, and a lot of tears...I settled for natural cream because the painter was at my house. A year later I think it’s the perfect neutral back drop. After painting the common areas, I called the painter back and had him do the whole house. So with the caveat that this is in my house with my lighting, I’ll try to offer some insight into the color. For reference, my rooms are either sun-filled with southern exposures or dark northern rooms. While the color can read differently in those rooms and during different times of the day, I don’t find it ever turns weirdly objectionable (think purple, pink, flesh, yellowy-green). Generally, the southern rooms read cream without being yellowy. The northern rooms in natural light lean a tad more greige. At certain times of the day if you analyze the paint you can read a bit of a green undertone common with creams but not a yellow-green that made me reject so many other colors. I’m not a color pro so I’m not sure if I have the right words, but there seems to be the smallest amount of grey that neutralizes any overly warm tones. Deco’s photo is pretty accurate, although I think natural cream offers a bit more contrast with the trim. (But I do have one yet to be renovated room that’s Navajo white so I too would question if that’s the color pictured.) Good luck with your choice. My husband couldn’t understand why I was crying over white walls, until I showed him BM’s white collection and asked him which of the hundreds of choices was the one.
    lmesfl thanked Lisa SW
  • lmesfl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Deco, that is a very nice picture and yes I do like it a lot.

Hyehouse, thanks for the compliment. I guess the pics of the sample paint boards do show a lot of contrast. I didn't have a pic in the bright light where it washes everything out and the room has no warmth. That's really my concern. The creamy Navajo on the bookshelves matches the fireplace stone nicely right now, but I am thinking when I change all trim to the white dove, including those shelves,it might not look as nice. But I don't want to leave it Navajo and have 3 colors, right?

• lmesfl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Lisa, the situation you stated above is just like you are my twin I could swear! Rather swim with sharks than pick paint. My husband just shakes his head at me when I break out the strips again. I just don't want my attempt to be cool and breezy to become cold and uninteresting. Did you happen to use any darker paint in the house? I am thinking the dining area that is open to the LR but has a 1/2 wall separation could be painted a vivid turquoise color, just to add something....sound silly? I read accent walls are out...or is that just a preference?

• Lisa SW
    5 years ago
    lmesfl, I’m in a center hallway colonial and did keep my original paint in the formal living room. It’s a medium sagey green with the subtlest mottling and glazing. I still liked it, every contractor and design consultant said to keep it (including my very opinionated painter) and I couldn’t replicate it if I changed my mind. It was the result of an accidental, self devised technique that occurred while in a panic to correct faux painting that went oh so very wrong! While it’s a very traditional room, i think I’ve finally achieved my own version of welcoming traditional rather than my mother’s “keep out” style. It’s where I curl up with a good book and a cup of tea (or more often wine) and I think the deeper wall color contributes to the coziness of my retreat. I’m sure we have different styles, but I think we might have faced some of the same design goals and challenges...keeping light and bright warm and inviting rather than cold and unwelcoming. And no offense to grey lovers, I love it too...in other people’s homes! And I smiled when I saw the colors you’re drawn to. The back half of my house with kitchen, breakfast area and family room is layered whites and cream (but with warm woods and a brick fireplace). I used accent colors I’d never decorated with before...teal and turquoise! My house looks very different, but I managed to retain the feel of my home. So hang in there...you’ll get there too!
    lmesfl thanked Lisa SW
  • lmesfl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi I am back. And freaking out a bit today!!

The painters have been here two days and have done the billiard room and kitchen with the Natural Cream walls. I am NOT liking the paint at all!! It is absolutely flat and drab and without any life!

i have 3 hours the paint store is open (on a sat morning-ridiculous). I am trying to decide if I need to get other samples right now! How on earth can I fin something quickly and though when I haven't been able to for months?!

Trying to talk myself down... Both these rooms have very warm wood to try to work with- 1/2 wainscoting in billiard room, and maple cabinets. I knew this would be tough, as the rest of the house has lighter colors than I think will look ok with the color.. Also the trim is Navaho white and it is a yellow white that is clashing with the Natural Cream. I mean gh just be used to a lot of yellow warmth.... Am I full of BS and this IS a problem?!

Pic below shows the meeting of the billiard room and the family room that is yet to be painted. Again, cabinets are in Navajo white that I am trying to get away from the yellow...q

Should I change color to something warmer? What is a shade warmer than NC that doesn't look grey and doesn't have too much yellow or any lavender undertones? Or should I leave it? do you think it will work out? Thoughts!?!?

• tgb1
    5 years ago

I love the way it looks! I have Natural Cream in my great room and I intend to put it all throughout the house when I'm able to. I find it to be a very clean-looking greige. I think you should keep moving forward...

• tgb1
    5 years ago

Sending you a couple pics. FWIW my trim is BM Swiss Coffee - which is very creamy...

my family room · More Info

• tgb1
    5 years ago

my family room · More Info

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

Take a deep breath and press "pause." You clearly are having issues selecting the right color, so maybe put your painter on hold, and hire a Ben Moore color consultant for an hour or so. She or he is more familiar with all the nuances of the whites and if you're honest about what you want, could probably help you much better than anyone online. No one here can see your home in real life, which is a major problem when dealing with color.

• Vivian Randolph
    5 years ago

Hi Liz, I feel the same way at times with my remodeling and my husband has to remind me that "its just paint" we can change it if we don't like it today, tomorrow, next week or next year. Give it a chance (aka trust your first choice) and add the accessories, pictures, rugs, etc. Live with it a while then decide if the problem truly is the paint. Maybe you are like me, I'm a visual person so it is hard for me to imagine the end product. Its not easy but I tell myself that even if I miss the mark on one aspect of the project I can focus on some other part to make it pop and balance out my "not-so-wise" choice. Try to enjoy the process . . . its art . . . its therapy . . . its self-expression . . . don't let it stress you out. That's my advice.

• Alicia G
    3 years ago

What color did you finally choose. I’m going through the same thing and my designer suggested Natural Cream and a stacked stone fireplace like yours.

• Girlmom101
    3 years ago

tgb1 I am currently choosing between natural cream, edgecomb and elmira white myself... any more photos of the natural cream in your space? I have a lot of orange oak wood toned and worry it may be a little cool... thank you so much!

• S M
    3 years ago

Cc did you end up picking a paint color? I am also trying to decide between Elmira white, ballet white, and natural cream.

• HU-476198001
    2 years ago

for those of you who used natatural cream on walls, what color trim did you use?

• paynerobin
    2 years ago

Late to the party but you never know who it might help. I have Natural Cream throughout with BM Cloud White trim and BM Soft Chamois kitchen cabinets and love it! Agree with the poster above who stated the undertones never do anything weird. In my house with my lighting it shifts from a gorgeous silvery gray, ever so slight green & beige. I’ve accented with coastal blue greens as well as navy and it’s been the perfect neutral for me.

• Brian Dowdall
    2 years ago

Edgecomb Gray in my south facing living room show more of a darker tan beige and a hint of pink/peach so wondering if Natural Cream would be more neutral or linen colour. I could also try Winds breath but it seems too light. Any help would be appreciated.

• kandrewspa
    2 years ago

Winds Breath was slightly green in my south-facing room. If Natural Cream is truly the same as Nature's Essentials, that was also slightly green for me in a north-facing and west facing room. Slightly green isn't necessarily bad - it depends on what you're looking for. I went with Edgecomb Gray in the room with the north and west facing windows. Don't detect any pink or peach undertone, so I think this is just more proof that colors look different in different circumstances. I just spoke to someone recently who said she chose a paint color in winter and it looked good. In summer when the light was different it looked terrible. This is why the OP had so much trouble. I will say I find Edgecomb Gray is a good background color. I don't think about the color of that room. It's not assertive. Once again, it depends on what you're looking for.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    2 years ago

I sampled Natural Cream and it looked muddy greenish-beige on some of my walls and dingy greyish-white on others, it varied with the exposure. As with any color -- you've got to sample in your own home.

• Brian Dowdall
    2 years ago

Natural Cream did not work and it did look greenish beige. Edgecomb was also a bit green and muddy looking on my south facing walls. Tried Elmira White which was nice but showed a bit of pink and White Sand seemed better but a bit too yellow. It is so hard to get a nice neutral that is a bit more beige but no ugly undertones of orange, pink or green. Maybe Wind's Breath might work if it has less green.

• Lara Branen
    2 years ago

In response to the most recent posts (not trying to respond to the original from 3 years ago) - Winds Breath is more yellow in hue than green (in terms of the actual color) so if it looks green it is possibly reflecting green from some source (like if there's a lot of greenery outside the window) or it has to do with lighting. White Sand definitely has yellow in it - not "undertones" per se but the hue family is yellow. Every neutral belongs to a hue family so perhaps you need to find a cool white or gray? The conundrum I think for you is that if you want a soft, off-white those are yellow in hue. Sherwin Williams Icicle is a cool very light gray if you're trying to get away from yellow and green.

Below is a link is to a great resource. Unfortunately, a year or so ago when I was using the information to choose paint colors there was more free info available that now requires a subscription. A good number of paint colors are analyzed though. If you have the patience you can get away from all the subjective information you see online about undertones with this system - it takes the guesswork out of the equation. Land of Color

• Sherry Mackay
    last year

Well what did you all decide? I am in the same DILEMMA. it's driving me crazy! I find natural cream to be dingy and I don't like yellow or pink or green undertones lol. I have honey oak kitchen cabinets with a biege, taupe, grey whitewashed floor and light brown countertops. I'm in an East room big window with overhang and trees. HELP!

• Tawana Hamby
    last year

Greek Villa and bright white are my go to.

• Em Nisbet
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

Anyone look at Cedar Key? I've heard great things about it and that it's underrated.

• likestonehomes
    10 months ago

Love cedar key.