Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiffany_taylor29

Carrara marble backsplash darkened

Tiffany Taylor
5 years ago
My Carrara marble backsplash turned a bluish gray color after installation. I’m hoping it turns back to the original white with gray veining as that matched my counters better. Anyone else have this experience? Any pictures or experiences would greatly be appreciated!

Comments (20)

• Mrs. S
    5 years ago

I don't know if marble can turn a different shade, but I do notice in your pictures, that the first image shows that the colors go pretty well with the countertop, but in the second 2 images, I see the blue tone you see.

Which leads to me to question your lighting. There are so many threads about kitchen lighting making white cabinets look yellow, and counters that look completely different once installed.

I believe that your issue MAY be the lighting. Are all your bulbs (undercounter, overhead, pendant, everything) the proper daylight CFM?

Here's one thread, so you can see you're not alone.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/grey-countertops-in-kitchen-look-purple-in-different-light-dsvw-vd~4865325

Let me keep looking for some of those other threads, where specific CFM of daylight bulbs are recommended.

• Tiffany Taylor
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Mrs. S
    The lighting is affecting it a little depending on the time of day. But it’s pretty consistently blue compared to the color before installation. I’ll post some pics so you can see what I’m talking about. The bluish tint is also making my upper cabinets read yellowish. Thanks for your response and links!
  • Tiffany Taylor
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Betsy Ross it was drywall and white thinset was used to set the tile. The faces were sealed with a penetrating sealer before grouting.
  • Tiffany Taylor
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here’s a picture of the cabinets before the backsplash.
  • wmsimons85
    5 years ago

The same thing happened to me. I was distraught! But was assured that the tiles would lighten up once they completely dried and they did. White marble is very porous, just give it some time. By the way, you have a beautiful kitchen.

• Tiffany Taylor
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Wmsimons85 Do you have before and after pictures? How long did it take for yours to lighten?
  • Tiffany Taylor
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Betsy Ross I did apply the sealer to the sample. Even with the sample held to the wall prior to application, it was not bluish. So crazy!
  • wmsimons85
    5 years ago

Sorry Tiffany but I just searched and couldnt find it but it was quite a lot grayer. I had done this before but just checked with a spare tile and it looks exactly the same as the tiles fitted on my wall.

I just read where here on Houzz where someone else suggested waiting at least five weeks! But I don’t remember it taking that long. I think I noticed a difference in the first week or two. But maybe it takes that long to completely dry and turn 100%. Forgive me if you already said this but I assume your tiler used white thin set not black?

• wmsimons85
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

By the way, the same thread said sealing shouldn’t make a difference unless you use an enhancer. Sealers apparently allow the gasses to escape when drying out.

• Tiffany Taylor
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes, white thinset was used. Thanks! I’m hoping sooner than later as it’s a little stressful!
  • wmsimons85
    5 years ago

I know!! Keep us posted if you can. How long has it been so far?

• s1eph
    last year

The same just happened to my newly installed floor and I am sick, although the vender recommended waiting a few weeks before doing anything rash. Note the loose, uninstalled mosaic sheet on top of the installed tile in the picture.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

No offense but the backsplash and countertop combination doesn't work well for me. Not only do the colors clash but the patterns do as well.

• Kate
    last year

That’s a difficult combination to pull off.

• s1eph
    last year

Not sure what you are eyeing, but no backsplash here, only a bathroom floor and shower wall. Regardless, to each her own.

• Sandy Lynn
    last year

s1eph…I’m about to put that same flooring in a powder room. Has your bathroom floor lightened yet? Your bathroom looks nicely done. On a side note, I’m pretty sure Norwood and Kate were most likely referring to the OP.

• s1eph
    last year

Yes, the marble lightened somewhat; some is still light gray. A sound abatement layer had to be installed under it because of condo covenants, which slowed drying and lightening.
    I have learned to check the grade of the marble before purchasing.

• arcy_gw
    last year

That is quite a change. The OP had two different tiles she was showing...so wasn't really sure their original desire. Dark or light your floor is beautiful!!!