Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maura_cherney

Wood-burning fireplace vs. vent-free gas fireplace vs. NO fireplace

Maura Cherney
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My fiancé and I just bought a 100-year old house in the Chicago suburbs. We had a chimney inspector out to see if the fireplace is safe, and unfortunately it is not and requires a lot of work.

Needs to be done no matter our decision: Masonry work to chimney on roof to prevent collapse (COST: $2,000)

Here's our dilemma: The current chimney has voids in the mortar inside, which is a fire hazard. Our options are to: (1) keep it a wood burning fireplace, which would require a chimney liner and electric fan, since the house is so old and the chimney is smaller than what is standard today - COST: $6,000 PLUS the cost of an electrician to install the fan, OR (2) install a vent-free gas fireplace insert, which would not require a chimney liner COST: $2,900 OR (3) fix the chimney masonry work, but not have a working fireplace COST: $0

We love wood burning fireplaces. Our old house had a wood burning fireplace, and we got a lot of use out of it. But it's difficult to justify the cost. We plan on being here long-term (10 years or more) but would like the investment to make sense. Is the wood-burning fireplace worth the expense? Will we make that money back when we eventually sell the home?

Comments (12)

• weedyacres
    3 years ago

If it were me, I'd go with a gas fireplace, because it's cleaner, both for the environment and for housekeeping (no ashes). But it's not my house. :-)

Maura Cherney thanked weedyacres
  • User
    3 years ago

The president of the HVAC company I use highly recommends vent less gas inserts.

Maura Cherney thanked User
  • Seabornman
    3 years ago

Vent free gas appliances are controversial. I installed one once in a house, and used it occasionally. Among the byproducts of gas combustion is CO2 and water vapor. Too much CO2 is obviously not good, but too much moisture in an old house in a cold climate can lead to condensation, mold and hidden rot. A vented gas fireplace, combined with a stainless chimney liner, might be your best option.

Maura Cherney thanked Seabornman
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 years ago

We had wood burning, and while I very much enjoyed the sights, sounds, warmth of a wood burning fire, we converted to gas. I do not miss the dusting, vacuuming, cleaning the fireplace. While we had wood, we were able to cut our own firewood which was a satisfying project at our ages then. I suppose we could still do it now, but cutting, loading, hauling and splitting wood aren't very high on my list of satisfying chores these days - and ordering, buying firewood has become expensive.

Truthfully, we don't use the gas fireplace that often. This sprawled out one story house (1955) isn't hard to heat with natural gas radiant in the ceilings.

I have the fire going during storms, or for the ambiance occasionally and when expecting winter guests and wanting the house to feel welcoming.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

^^ Same here - have a gas fireplace and use it only occasionally when having guests or a snowy day for the ambience. Except it puts out a *lot* of heat and I've had guests request I turn it off it's too hot LOL!

• nancylouise5me
    3 years ago

If a wood burning fireplace is what you prefer then do the repairs necessary to have one. You are going to be in your home long term. You will make up the money spent in repairs. Plus you will have what you wanted. Wood burning FP is best imo. You don't get the warm, sounds, smells, etc. with a gas insert. Cleaning out ashes is minor compared to the enjoyment you receive. To me it is a no brainer. Get what you love. Resale is not a consideration.

• hopes80677
    2 years ago

I have a gas and a wood burning.  Nothing like the wood burning.

• Seabornman
    2 years ago

Friends have a "Quadra-fire" insert. Extremely efficient and the glass door stays clear and clean due to the way it burns. The clear glass really helps make it appear more like a regular fireplace.

• moosemac
    2 years ago

Wood all the way. The enjoyment is worth the mess. Also, I like the self sufficiency of wood i.e. I can cut my own wood from my property but I am dependent on the gas company if I have gas. What if the power goes out, does the igniter for the fireplace still work or can you light it with a match?

JMO but I love a wood burning fireplace. In our first home, the chimney was in poor shape. We had a beautiful 1700's kitchen fireplace with beehive oven and pot swing crane. We kept the fireplace for decoration but could not afford to fix the chimney so we tore it down. We gained space for a pantry and 3 bedroom closets but I regretted no fixing the chimney.

• Pen
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

As someone who also loves wood burning fireplaces and is currently buying one with a gas insert, get the wood. I'm already disappointed to be losing my wood stove. Do what makes you happy if you can afford it. Also, if you lose power only wood still burns. Gas fireplaces require electricity to operate.

• Sar E
    last year

What did you decide on?