Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_b63

Any reviews of Floor & Decor's Woodland Reserve Flooring?

Mike B
3 years ago

After months of research, I think Floor & Decor's Woodland Reserve Ellsworth flooring checks most of the boxes of what I'm looking for - https://www.flooranddecor.com/engineered-hardwood-wood/ellsworth-oak-wire-brushed-engineered-hardwood-100811850.html#q=woodland%2Breserve&search-button=&lang=default&start=8

I've read though that Floor & Decor's flooring in general is low quality and bottom of the barrel stuff. Before I buy 2,400 sq/ft of flooring, was hoping if folks have comments/feedback on Woodland Reserve engineered hardwood. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Comments (53)

• dani_m08
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I haven’t been feeling well for the last few weeks - and haven’t been on here that much.

I am probably too late - but thought I’d respond anyway just in case (plus, for any future readers). I had Woodland Reserve European White Oak wide plank floors installed right before Christmas. They have been great.

My installer had never heard of them before - he said that they were high quality planks. He didn’t have to cull a bunch of boards - the planks were consistent and not warped. He installed using adhesive plus nail assist because they were 9” wide. He was surprised by how long the boards were (I think the longest were about 84-86”).

I actually purchased mine sight unseen (kind of scary) - they were discontinued here in the Midwest - but were still selling at full price in most of the U.S. The discontinued price was ridiculously good + the specs were good (5/8” thick/4 mm veneer). I figured that if I didn’t like the reactive stain look, I could always have them refinished based upon the price. However, they look great.

I hope that you decided to buy them. I would be surprised if you were disappointed.

Mike B thanked dani_m08
  • Mike B
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks @dani_m08! I actually haven't pulled the trigger yet on flooring, but am ready to do so. Do you have pics by chance of the floor post-install?

• dani_m08
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Mike - I just typed up a fairly long comment - and for some reason, it disappeared after I hit “submit”. . .

A little background as to why I decided to purchase my Woodland Reserve floors. I had recently been diagnosed with a serious health issue (systemic mastocytosis) - which required me to remove all furnishings/items in my home that weren’t made out of wood/metal/marble/etc. This included all of the carpeting on my second floor + the hearth room off of the kitchen. I also had to spend thousands of dollars installing an air purification system. So, when I started looking for wood floors, I was focused on finding something that used only certain types of finishes, and was INEXPENSIVE!

My Woodland Reserve floors were on clearance only in one regional area of the midwest - for $0.98 SF (not a typo - they were still being sold for between $6.50 -$7 SF on both coasts, plus most other cities in the Midwest). Obviously, I was curious as to why - I was told that regional managers are allowed to set prices for the stores in their region when items are discontinued (this was the only color that had been discontinued - it has gray and tan tones). Based upon my research, and what I had been told by certain professionals here on Houzz, I knew that 5/8”/9 layers/4 mm veneer/wide plank/random length (with long individual boards) engineered wood floors were a solid mid grade level floor. So, without ever seeing them, I went ahead and ordered almost 2,000 SF. I figured that if I didn’t like how they looked, I could always refinish them later after I had my health under control.

While the floors are a little more distressed/gray than I would have chosen if everything else was equal - they do look nice. Everyone commented about how much they loved them over the holidays.

As I wrote in my previous comment, my installer was very complimentary about these floors. When I first told him that the floors were 9 1/2“ wide planks, he warned me about how much subfloor prep might be necessary. I was a bit concerned about how much extra the cost would be per SF for installation. Luckily, my house was built better than most + these boards were extremely flat. He only had to replace a small patch of water damaged subfloor next to an exterior door. He was SHOCKED when I told him how much I spent on the floors!

Over the holidays, my daughter’s two pups + my two dogs were chasing each other, plus playing fetch/tug of war - A LOT. The floors don’t show any signs of wear. I don’t think that all Woodland Reserve floors are finished in the same manner - mine were done with a UV cured waterborne finish. While I know that because the floors are distressed + have a matte finish + have a reactive stain (reactive stains penetrate the wood fibers vs. sitting on top like most other stains) they will show less signs of “wear and tear” - I have looked closely at the floors - and I don’t see scratches.

Here are some photos of the floors. They look better in person. I only have photos of the hearth room off of the kitchen - and I’m not home now so I can’t take additional ones right now.

The floors look much better without the former paint color on the walls + painted baseboards (refacing the brick fireplace is on my list of projects). There are just a couple places where I wish my installer would have chosen a different board length in a row - but I don’t really notice it now.

These next two photos were taken at night - the floors look much more ”olive toned” than in real life - apparently, my lighting in that room leans pretty warm!

My oldest dog will be 12 this summer. He has been having some stomach issues. The other day, I found a fairly large spot of vomit under my bed. It had been there for awhile - I was worried about whether the acid had damaged my floors. I simply cleaned it off with some water - and no damage.

If it would be helpful. I can take some close up photos of some uninstalled boards so you can see how the boards are constructed. Let me know.

• Shannon Dudgeon
    3 years ago

Mike B - I too am very wary of Floor & Decor but I really like the Woodland Reserve Ellsworth, and I have been having a very hard time finding a floor that I like. If you pull the trigger & install. Please let me know how you like it. My project is about 3 months down the road.

• dani_m08
    3 years ago

@Shannon Dudgeon - I’ve actually never been to an actual F&D store - so, I wasn‘t sure about the quality. I’ve heard both negatives and positive comments about tile at F&D - but I hadn’t heard anything about their engineered/solid wood floors. In my case, it was a fairly easy decision due to it being on clearance. Luckily, they turned out to be a good value - even at full price. My contractor specifically made a comment about how at $7 ish sf, it would have still been a good purchase based upon his experience.

The Woodland Reserve Ellsworth really does look nice!

I was a bit surprised that F&D doesn’t include customer reviews on its website - especially since many of their “brands” appear to be exclusive to F&D. I’ve recognized MSI tile “rebranded” at F&D, as well as other brands. If they allowed reviews, it would make purchasing much easier for their customers!

Good luck!

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    3 years ago

Two clients found them. My experience so far is 2 of 5 tile orders not acceptable. Got one signed off by client, waiting for another to get replaced. Will update.

• dani_m08
    3 years ago

@Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor - this is useful information for potential F&D customers. Would you mind sharing why the orders weren’t acceptable? Quality? I’m asking because my sister is thinking about purchasing some marble mosaic tile from them for an upcoming remodel in a few months. I’ve told her about many issues posted here on Houzz re: low quality marble imported from China. I don’t know if that applies to products purchased from F&D. I do know someone who recently purchased some tile at F&D and was very happy with the quality (it was actually made by a well known manufacturer and re-branded at F&D).

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    3 years ago

Rely primarily on your licensed installer's advice.

• ayoshino
    2 years ago

@Mike B and Shannon Dudgeon, Did you end up installing the 'Woodland ReserveEuropean Oak Reactive Wire Brushed Engineered Hardwood' from Floor & Decor? I'm in the same boat, it checks all the boxes but hesitant on the finish quality.

• Shannon Dudgeon
    2 years ago

I did not end up installing the Woodland Reserve.

• Mike B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@ayoshino - I didn't install the Woodland Reserve either.

• kristenbryar
    2 years ago

@Mike B what did you go with? And did you not pick FD engineered hardwood due to research - is it really low grade? Thanks for any info....Im currently trying to decide myself and there are too many options.

• dani_m08
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@kristenbryar - the F&D woodland reserve engineered hardwood floors are not “really low grade” according to several contractors (one who only bullds $1.5 -2 mil homes in the midwest (much nicer house than $1.5-2 mil in California would buy, for example). He used them in a huge basement renovation recently (the European Oak - similar to posted by @jdychill above but not distressed).

My sister just purchased white oak ones for about $9 sf - 3/4” thick, 9” width, varied lengths (up to 86.6 ” like mine are), 6 mm veneer - and can be refinished 3 times (mine can only be done twice). They are also waterborne UV-cured with a matte finish like mine. They look beautiful! The ones I purchased were wide plank (9”) + 5/8” thick + 5 mm veneer (I thought it was 4 mm but spec sheet says 5 mm). Mine have only been installed for about 10 1/2 month - and they have been great so far. Everyone comments on them.

I will have mine refinished at some point - I like the mix of gray/griege/light oak (like natural white oak) shades - but will probably go for a more uniform natural color (and refinishing will remove the distressing) in 2-3 years.

As for the other engineered wood floors at F&D, I have no personal knowledge re: quality - however, my guess is that they carry some lower grade ones that you should probably NOT install. You really have to look at the specifications for each type of floor that you’re considering. Obviously, the price point will help guide you - my floors were regularly priced between $7-8 sf (I purchased them when they were on clearance in my region - they were on sale for about $6-7 in other areas of the US). Just remember when looking wood floors, that if you select wide plank, the installation cost will be higher for nail + glue assist vs. planks that can just be nailed. I found out that some installers shy away from installing planks that require glue assist.

I really wish that F&D would allow customer reviews on its website. That would have helped me quite a bit when trying to decide about purchasing my floors last year. I decided not to buy some mosaic tile from them last month simply because I couldn’t read any reviews.

• Dana Layton
    2 years ago

The absence of product reviews on their website is the only thing holding me back from purchasing from them as well.

• dani_m08
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Dana Layton - i completely understand! I wouldn’t have ordered them either - except that the clearance price was $0.98 sf - thought it was a typo on website The location near me was sold out (probably bc of the clearance price!) - so, all of the boxes were shipped in from a store in California (price was about $7 sf on sale at that store). I figured if I hated them - I could give them away/donate them . My contractor told me that I could immediately refinish them if I didn’t like the color/distressing. So, it was MUCH easier to go ahead even though there were no reviews to read!

• Katie Glaser
    2 years ago

Thinking about buying these floors but would love some more feedback. Anybody have any experience with Woodland Reserve flooring from Floor & Decor?

• Robert
    last year

I was about to purchase Cirrus White Oak from F&D but at $10 a sf it is fairly close in price to products from mills with solid reputations and generations in the flooring business. The final straw was finding out that F&D is run by a private equity firm out of Atlanta and the senior people have regularly supported GA candidates with questionable business ethics. I'll be shopping somewhere else.

• Heather brumbaugh
    6 months ago

This is an old thread, but I thought I would share my experience with Woodland Reserve flooring.

We glued down (over 2000 sq ft downstairs and 700 sq ft upstairs) Montpellier Oak II Distressed Engineered Hardwood 6 years ago. The floors look just as good as the day we put them in. No scratches, do dents, no noticeable wear (that's with 3 kids, 2 large dogs, and a pool). We had hand scraped oak in our last home, and that flooring was not even close to as durable as the engineered wood has been.

I can not tell you the number of compliments we have received on our floors. We had two different friends put the exact flooring in their home after seeing ours.

We love these floors so much, that we will put the same brand in our new home next year. We will switch to European Oak Rustic Distressed from Montpellier Oak II only because they switched that color from UV cured to oil, and I don't want to deal with the maintenance of oil finished floors.

Regarding Floor and Decor, we have had nothing but stellar experiences with them. Our flooring was purchased at F&D and is incredible quality recommended to us by the contractor that installed them. We have also purchased floor glue, grout, stair treads, and tile from them. I'm not sure why they have a bad rep with some people, but in the DFW are they are fantastic.

I hope this helps!

Here's the floors in different lights and areas of the house. They are the perfect neutral floor.

• Billy Blake
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Hi @Heather Brumbaugh, love the photos, we are having the same floor installed as we speak. Just curious on which cleaning products you use for the oil finish? We are looking at the WOCA products but can't find specific recommendations from the manufacturer. @Sarah Blake

• Heather brumbaugh
    5 months ago

My good friend has the oil finished version of ours installed and she uses WOCA! She said its fantastic. Montpelliar Oak was UV finished when we bought them 6 years ago so all we ever used was Bona. Hope that helps!

• PRO
    Unique Wood Floors
    5 months ago

We sold many Woca oiled wood flooring jobs. Here is guide we come up with.

Maintenance Guide - Oil Finish

We keep a good stock of all Woca maintenance products.

WOCA

• Sarah Blake
    5 months ago

Thank you both this is helpful!

• Mia Smyth
    4 months ago

I have been searching high and low for wood extra wide plank flooring. I almost purchased Ellsworth but have not. Im afraid of the yellow Gold in it with my other colors in the room. If I had the right colors it is a beautiful prodiuct.

• Kristen Stewart
    last month

dani_m08 I am currently looking at the Pearson White Oak in the same size. Can you tell me any info on how your sisters floors have held up?? Did you and your sister both buy from F&D? I'm right on the edge of ordering my floors but get SO many mixed reviews.

• Mia Smyth
    last month
    last modified: last month

I just purchased 60 Boxes of Pastoral we have not installed it yet! I love the look. Almost purchased Pearson. Had little warmer tone than my decor. But I still love it!

• Kristen Stewart
    last month

@Mia Smyth Did you purchase from Floor & Decor?

• Mia Smyth
    last month

Kristen Stewart, Yes I purchased from Foor and Decor. I loved Pearson as well. Here is the floor I purchased . It is called Pastoral. I think we purchased all the boxes in the warehouse. It went well with our new cabinets.

This floor is going in the entire home.

• Mia Smyth
    last month

My new floor from Floor and Decor. Pastoral White Oak. Its even prettier in person. I love the color!

• Mia Smyth
    last month

Mike B, I loved Ellsworth as well. I almost went for it. I decided on Pastoral. Do you have a picture?? I would love to see.

• Mike B
    Original Author
    last month

Hey Mia - I actually ended up going with a different flooring that was sourced by the installer.

• Mia Smyth
    last month

Mike B, Would still love a picture if you want to. I am installing the entire home with engineered wood I purchased from floor and decor. Will post when finished. Thanks!

• dani_m08
    last month

@Kristen Stewart - yes - my sister and I both purchase Woodland Reserve engineered wood floors from F&D (mine are European Oak - I think hers may be white oak ).

The floors have held up wonderfully. Have had zero issues with them. She hasn’t has any issues either.

Mine look exactly the same as when installed. The upkeep is easy - vacuum and sometimes use a slightly damp microfiber mop. These floors were a great purchase!

• Mike B
    Original Author
    last month

Mia - some pics above of the floors I installed. The wood is a bit more orange-y thatn what I was originally going for, but we got a good deal on the floors and overall are happy with them.

• Mia Smyth
    last month

Mike B,

Thank you so much it is such a delight to see the wood you selected. It is truly beautifu and I love the look of real natural wood with a bit of color. ( Ellsworth was a bit darker in color. I almost selected it too) Fantastic. Mine should be installed soon. I will share. Thanks Again!

• Lindsay Fortuna
    12 days ago

Has anyone installed the woodland reserve prospect ash hardwood floors from floor and decor? if so, any pics? thx

• Lindsay Fortuna
    12 days ago

Has anyone installed the woodland reserve prospect ash hardwood flooring? if so, any pics please? thx.

• Mia Smyth
    12 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Lindsay, I would say hurry it sells out fast. I bought 60 Boxes. To be installed soon. No one else had the colors I was looking for.

• HU-508716110
    11 days ago
  • Lindsay Fortuna
    11 days ago

Thx Mia. We are building a new home and trying to decide on the right flooring. They were pushing us to do engineered but we have always had real hardwood and still lean that way. We liked the prospect ash because it has option to do herringbone pattern as well. Only thing that worried me with it, is if there was too much variation overall once its over a large sq ft area. Marketing photos just arent the same as real customer photos:)

• Mia Smyth
    11 days ago

Lindsay, Try the floor and decor visualizer on the floor and decor website. You will like it!

• HU-320223810
    11 days ago

Lindsay - whats the top layer vineer thickness on woodland reserve prospect ash

I dont see its listed on the f&d site

• Mia Smyth
    11 days ago

Call the store. They are super good about providing inofrmation. If not call the Floor and Decor customer Care number. The floor you like is beautiful I just put my room to visualize it and I fell in love with it.

• HU-320223810
    11 days ago

I am looking at Gabby https://www.flooranddecor.com/engineered-hardwood-wood/gabby-white-oak-flextech-handscraped-engineered-hardwood-100932540.html

The display at floor and decor looks yellowish. And samples are all in different shades.

Any one installed gabby ? The pcitures look good, but not sure what actual shade is

• HU-320223810
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Thanks Mia. I will call the customer service and see. Just worried if it will get too yellowish

• Mia Smyth
    11 days ago

The pictures are pretty true! Gabby looks wonderful!

• Mia Smyth
    10 days ago

HU-320223810 , Did you see it in person? I loved it in pictures.

• Lindsay Fortuna
    10 days ago

https://www.flooranddecor.com/solid-hardwood-wood/prospect-ash-herringbone-wire-brushed-solid-hardwood-100942358.html?utm_content=M-Shopping&utm_term=&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxeyxBhC7ARIsAC7dS3_6hNDos8SaYzLMzq53-Erp-YSOURljA_YaGcBBTfWWqTN_JedIDroaAro2EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Its actually a solid hardwood, not engineered. I’ve seen the samples in person on display in store but its vertical and under florescent lighting. Just would be nice to see a true picture of someone who has installed this floor:)

• HU-320223810
    10 days ago

Mia - Yes , saw Gabby in person. The display looks different from sample they r selling

in samples also I see all different shades and nothing same as display.

I like sample and pictures.

Display is the cocern as it looks too yellow. So trying to see whats the closest color shade.

• HU-320223810
    5 days ago

All - Gabby has core layer with lumbar.

I was wondering if thats ok or do I look something with plywood ?