Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhuy_nguyen51

Foundation repair: does it need to be level?

Nhuy Nguyen
3 years ago

I want to sell my old house 1969 but the slab foundation has problem: floor tile cracks, cracks on doors, door not close well, etc., also floor has elev diff up to 6". some foundation repair companies quote me only to stabilize the house and not to level, and some companies want to do leveling. of course, the leveling quotes are higher. Do I need to level the foundation if I want to sell the house? will it pass inspection w/o leveling? I'm in Houston. I got mix info from google. what should I do?

Comments (9)

• millworkman
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Ask a local realtor would be the best bet. But if the floors are up to 6" off level, expect to either put a crap of dollars into repairs or a huge discount in selling price.

• Nhuy Nguyen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you. That's an idea. I'll check with my realtor. The estimation with leveling comes really high, I'm not sure if it benefits to fix it or just sell as-is.

• chicagoans
    3 years ago

Is there much in-fill building in your area? (e.g., builders buying old homes and tearing them down to build new ones.) Ask your realtor if this might be your best option. In my area, even nice homes are replaced with giant new ones. Selling to a builder typically means you don't have to do any repairs. But that's very dependent on your local market.

• new-beginning
    3 years ago

former Houstonian; general area where home is located please.

• Nhuy Nguyen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

this in sw Houston, close to chinatown. in this area there are not many houses on market, but they do renovate nicely before put on sale.

• User
    3 years ago

You will get mixed info from houzz.

• new-beginning
    3 years ago

are you in a flood zone? if so, which one; that can impact selling price also. You will simply need to decide if you are willing to accept a really low price as new owner will need to repair foundation; or if you are willing to repair foundation and (perhaps) receive a much better price. How on earth have you been able to live in this house with all these problems? Your area is one I have never lived in (always either SE (where I grew up) or NW. I am familiar with your area from having been employed by a company with location off Airport Blvd and Beltway 8.

• Looki Lu
    last year

NhuyNguyen, what did you end up doing? Did you sell as-is or repair the foundation?