Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rm101

Calacatta Gold, Laza, Ethereal Glow w/White Gloss Cabinets?

rm101
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi-

Apologies for starting yet another discussion on quartz countertops but I need to make a decision & could use some help!

I'm going for a marble-look quartz but a pattern w/wide spread out veins—like Calacatta Maximus— will not work given my smallish kitchen [counters are 8' & 6' + 2 small side pcs]. Cabinets are White Gloss [Ikea Ringhult] so finding a bright white base is important though I know I will never match the whites perfectly. Floors are Beigy wood-look porcelain. I’m also trying to order through HD which limits some of the color options.

Current contenders are:

• Silestone Calacatta Gold—which I think I’m ruling out
  • MSI Calacatta Laza
  • Silestone Ethereal Haze or Dusk
  • I like Caesarstone’s Empira White, which is very white but I’m not crazy about the dark blackish veins. I prefer brownish taupey colors.

Initially I was leaning towards Calacatta Gold but after seeing it in a store’s installation, the base is very off-white & from only a few feet away, the veins are so muted they are barely visible. I like the defined veins in MSI Calacatta Laza but have only seen a small sample & recently learned there are now 2 Lazas—Original & New, the New supposedly leaning more taupey/brown. I’ve also read mixed reviews on the quality.

Silestone’s new Ethereal Collection is very white but w/the exception of Toscana Cream—which I don’t like—they’re not being offered thru HD. If I ultimately choose Ethereal Dusk or Glow, I will have to buy it elsewhere.

Any & all suggestions, pics & comments would be greatly appreciated! Thx!

Comments (23)

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

if the clacatta gold works w w your floor choice i'd pick that. Otherwise ethereal glow is my fave. pure white is okay too.

• B N
    2 years ago

Second vote for ethereal glow

• sjjk777
    2 years ago

We are also struggling with the exact same group of quartz that you have outlined here. Just curious which one you went with and are you happy with them?

• rm101
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@sjjk777

I went w/Calacatta Gold [ I probably would have gone w/Ethereal Glow if it was available through HD]. Installation is scheduled for next week

• Keira P
    2 years ago

@rm101 how dis installation go? the calacutta gold sample i saw at the store was really yellow like your pic. so i went to the fabricators warehouse to look at the slab and it wasnt yellow at all.

interested in seeing a completed pic!

• Herm Bel
    2 years ago

Rmlny, would be great to see pictures :) also which white did you do for your cabinets? We are going with Ethereal glow - but not sure which white to go with for the cabinates in a well lit north facing kitchen. Any suggestion?

• rm101
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@KeiraP @Herm Bel There is no yellow at all in Clacatta Gold. It is a pure white base but it is not bright white! It is off white w/no yellow or gray undertones. Just pure off white. I have Ikea Ringhalt Wht gloss Cabinets & it is not as bright white as they are. The veining is subtle, a tad grayer than the sample I had but they are wide & plentiful. Ethereal Glow would have been a better match to the white of my doors & if you're going to use it, I would do a white gloss door if you're going modern. Now my dilemma is what backsplash tile to go with.

• Herm Bel
    2 years ago

@rmlny Thank you! Thinking Benjamin moore Super white for cabinets - the white color options are never ending 😵‍💫Good luck with backsplash. We went with Ethereal glow for our backsplash (to minimize decision making lol).

• Keira P
    2 years ago

@rm101 can u share pics of your calacatta gold? im suddenly leaning towards toscana cream or ether eal glow. just a bit hesitant about the glow due to dark brown veining

• Ashley
    2 years ago

We are looking at this same group as well! Would love see pics please :)

• Herm Bel
    2 years ago

Keira, we just had Ethereal glow installed - it is beautiful, modern and clean :) I still can’t decide on the color for cabinets (white seems too white) and leaning more to some kind of gray (hoping someone will suggest a nice gray for north facing kitchen). I’ll attach picture of the counter top :)

• Herm Bel
    2 years ago

It has a bright white background … the windows are covered so light is distorted

• Herm Bel
    2 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!!!! The tile is going to look stunning too. We used similar tile for bathroom (stacked) and we absolutely love it :)

• rm101
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@@KeiraP the pics i've been taking do not do it any justice. the veining is subtle but int he pics they appear much darker & grayer. Just fyi- i was considering Toscana Cream until i saw an installation of it & I did not like it at all!

• Keira P
    2 years ago

@Herm Bel @sjjk777

beautiful! love your choices!

@rm101 i ended up picking silestone calacatta gold . measurements in 2 weeks and installation will be another 5 weeks after that.

can u post pictures of yours?

• tamradiane
    last year

Sjjk777 Good to hear you had a good expereince with home depot installing. One of the silestone products I am looking at is the ethereal indigo and exclusive to home depot. Once you picked your silestone how long before it was installed? Also any tips on how to make best use of kitchen during remodel :) especially waiting on counters to get installed. And :) I see you have a bar area, did you add supports like wood corbels for these for the overhang?

• Jolene Strunk Kroeger
    last year

We actually went to the Cosentino showroom and looked at Calcatta Gold and the Ethereal Glow. We chose the Calcatta Gold because it wasn't as white and it went so much better with our white cabinets and black island. They actually had a black island with the Calcatta Gold in the showroom and we loved it. I also am doing the Emser Passion for the backsplash and it's not a stark white so it matches the Calcatta Gold better. Our new build won't be ready until the Spring and I can't wait to see it all done.

• noni0310
    3 months ago

I’m working to same scheme. Can you share a photo of your finished kitchen please?

• noni0310
    3 months ago

Jolene

• Herm
    last month
    last modified: last month

Here are some pictures of the Ethereal glow … finished look

• Herm
    last month

• Sarah Anderson
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

What color are your cabinets? We are also installing ethereal glow in a north-facing kitchen . . . also, how did you decide between polished vs suede finish?