Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
just_janni

Color help needed - painting house / Inspo photo

just_janni
last year

Getting ready to paint our existing house to get it ready to go on the market.

Currently it's weathered cedar and gray. Slightly off white trim. Stone veneer is light grays and browns. Front door is wood. White light fixtures that will all get replaced.

I'd like to repaint using this color palette, and replace the fixtures with something in bronze or darker.

Any ideas what these colors might be? My painter is using Benjamin Moore.

Using semi solid stain - maybe Cliffside Gray - https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/wood-stain-colors?targetid=semi-solid

And then need a trim paint. And I am CLUELESS on this. And I realize this is heavily dependent on your computer monitor - so where would I go - color consultant?

Thanks for any ideas/

Inspo pic:

Current House (good Lord it looks drab):

Forum pics · More Info

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I think a nice crisp white for trim and the color youa re thinking for the siding will be great and please add some pots filled to overflowing with plants for that pop of color you need maybe even paint the front door a color from the plants

just_janni thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • nickel_kg
    last year
    last modified: last year

A bright but soft yellow front door would go well with your grays.

What strikes me about your house pic is that the windows are great gaping black holes, which (while it has advantages from the inside looking out), gives the effect of a blank stare. I'd add white grids to each large window and grids to the top pane of each flanking window. To see what a difference this could make, I'd get a roll of cheap masking tape and mock it up. Then you'll know if you want to pursue it or not.

just_janni thanked nickel_kg
  • Anna Devane
    last year

I love the colors you currently have. what i would change or add is some landscaping and colorful plantings. You have a beautiful home.

just_janni thanked Anna Devane
  • ptreckel
    last year

Power wash your pavement and clean your roof and gutters. Then I would get one really large planter and plant it with an abundance of bright colored flowers, etc. for your porch. Remove the little item (?) next to your door. And replace your current bench with one that has more presence (and a back?) OR paint this one black and put a colorful pillow on it. As others have said…your home looks nice. Paint it the same gray with white trim. And then, as suggested, paint your front door a pretty color to draw attention to it. Bright is good. Landscaping is your friend, too. Good luck!

just_janni thanked ptreckel
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

What about a muted (grayed) deep blue for the cedar? Something like BM Hale Navy.

just_janni thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • just_janni
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all so much for the feedback - pic is not 100% current (I have power washed!) and painters will do the entire house. We're very much in the trees, so that's why I want to go a little lighter. A semi solid Navy was on my list until I saw this lighter version with the stone. I was worried about too much contrast with the stone and blue getting too "cool".

I don't think I'll add any window grids (back of house has large expanses of glass) and many of my neighbors have removed their grids over time) but agree that the gaping black holes are not ideal - in the better lighting you can see into the house better - so that helps.

I'd rather not paint the door but would consider it.

I am just kinda tired of the gray - but it's worked for many years. ARRGGHHH - the choices - and the fact that we have to detach what WE like to what the MARKET will like makes this even harder.

I will definitely be adding the pots and floral accents / bunch / pillows - I actually have a bench with a back on it I can repurpose. Great ideas for sprucing up the entryway - THANK YOU!

• kandrewspa
    last year

While you may be tired of the gray, it looks like a good color for the house because of the stone. Since you're painting it for sale you want to be choosing a color that will appeal to the greatest number of buyers, not yourself. I would stay close to the current color, or a shade darker.

• kathleen MK
    last year

I like the idea of a very pale grey blue and crisp white trim. it would take some paint samples and time to test them to get the right shade but you might could pull some of that warmth in few of the stones with the right taupe or tan that's more of a warm grey. These would work with your wood tone door. A bright door would be great as a personal choice but for resale staying wood is safer. The biggest thing would be adding large bright glazed planters flanking the door or the bench and maybe a whiskey barrel planter by the wall next to the downspout. The sculpture by the door could be in that surrounded by herbs or flowers spilling over the edge of the barrel.

just_janni thanked kathleen MK
  • just_janni
    Original Author
    last year

ok - on the pale blue gray - how about Normandy? (seems the gray tones are more popular here than my inspo pic)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

You could also consider a grayed green.

just_janni thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • just_janni
    Original Author
    last year

I thought about that too! I prefer the blue tones vs green and then was a little concrend about getting the trim color right. (which is still a concern with the light scheme too, by the way)

• just_janni
    Original Author
    last year

So thankful for the feedback - we settled on Normandy with White Heron fo trim

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-colors/color/2129-40/normandy

• nickel_kg
    last year
    last modified: last year

Beautiful choice! (I'd still paint the front door a nice soft yellow, would be so pretty with the blue)

just_janni thanked nickel_kg
  • just_janni
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you - I am still open to painting - but will wait until I have the rest done and see if a fresh coat of stain and varnish works or not - i'll be back here for advice . :-)

Thank you