Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephany_lozano

Suggestions on first time buying manufactured home

Hello! I an currently in the process of purchasing land for the first time and searching for a double wide to place on the land. this is my first time purchasing and would love to get some suggestions about absolutely anything related to buying a manufactured home, things you would have wished you knew before. I would also love to know how much is a normal interest rate? they seem so high to me although i know they are rising everywhere, im located in houston tx. we have currently chose a champions home but are in the midst of getting specific pricing, did you guys negotiate that? where did you guys purchase your manufactured home and how much are you guys paying? sorry in advance if i am all over the place l.

Comments (13)

• millworkman
    last year

Interest rates on double wide manufactured homes are considerably typically higher than a normal house, on top of the fact that the value plummets very quickly.

• Ally De
    last year
    last modified: last year

Agree with millworkman. If it were me, I'd look for a nice little stick-built starter home - something where sweat equity can really work in your favor. That's exactly what I did with my first house. I came from almost nothing, but worked my butt off and what I got out of that first house set me on my way.

• booty bums
    last year

Do not, under any circumstances, buy a new manufactured home.

You want real estate to appreciate in value, and mobile homes are guaranteed to lose value.

Instead, you should do 1 of the following...

- Build a modest stick-built house

- Buy a cheap pre-owned mobile home that has already experienced significant depreciation

• cpartist
    last year

The best thing you could do is buy a small stick built older house that needs cosmetic updating in a decent neighborhood. That will appreciate. A double wide will not.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

Have you considered a modular home? These are built in pieces off-site then assembled at the home site on a permanent foundation, and you can have a basement. I can't imagine why these would depreciate -- they're not "mobile homes", and I'll tell you I've looked at some and unless you already knew it was a pre-fab you would be fooled. Something to look into, but do see if there are any building restrictions against modulars on your land.

• mtvhike
    last year

I assume the OP meant modular. Are you going to have a foundation or a basement?

• einportlandor
    last year

Folks, mobile homes and manufactured homes are NOT the same thing. Seems to be some confusion here.

• millworkman
    last year

"and searching for a double wide to place on the land."

And the op specifically mentioned double wide...................

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

I think the OP is looking for a double modular wide manufactured mobile home.

ODD gives good advice.

• booty bums
    last year

Folks, mobile homes and manufactured homes are NOT the same thing. Seems to be some confusion here.

There is no confusion. The OP specifically mentioned a "double wide", which is absolutely a mobile home.

• functionthenlook
    last year
    last modified: last year

Mobile homes were built before 1976. Manufactured homes were built after 1976 per federal law. Manufactured homes after 1976 comply with HUD national building codes.

Manufactured homes that are tied permanently to the ground and wheels/axles are removed are real property like stick built homes. It varies state to state

They have real estate titles, pay school/county/township taxes and bought/sold like any other stick built home. not tied to the ground they are considered personal property and are registered to the DMV. Real property manufactured homes increase or decrease the same as stick built home depending on the housing market at the time.

If high taxes are a problem in an area then personal property is probably the way to go. That should be figured out case by case basis.

Our camp is a 1980 real property manufactured home. I call it my hybrid home. It has part block crawl space and part block basement, a stick built add on and concrete covered front porch. We bought it in 2020. Before that I've never even been in a manufactured home. It is no different than living in my stick built home. The only difference I can think of is you enter the basement from outside and the furnace is in the home, not in the basement.

After buying our camp I would have no problem buying a new manufactured home.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

If you think about it, all homes are manufactured.