Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_913321892

Estimates on construction before closing

HU-913321892
last year

Hi all: We are under contract and set to close in 2 weeks. Im under a tight timeline in terms of getting construction done before we move in. I would like to bring in a contractor to give us an estimate but I’m wondering what the ettiquette is regarding bringing people in to see a house while the sellers are still living there. we saw the house once before going under contract. I then asked to see it again about 3 weeks ago so I can decide what needs to be done (inspect hardwood, paint and other details). Can I bring someone else in now or am i expected to wait until after closing. Thanks for your input!

Comments (27)

• mtvhike
    last year

Have you selected a contractor yet? If so, I would discuss the project with him, with whatever photos and floor plans you already have. If the project seems likely to go, I doubt you could advance the timeline much. Even getting a meeting with a contractor could take 2 weeks.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

You'd better have a developed relationship with a reputable general contractor. Were I him, I'd want a lock on that job before I invested in anything more than a phone call. I can't think of a better time waster than a cold call from someone who doesn't own the home yet and whom I haven't qualified.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    last year

Likely your inspection period may have closed (usually agreed to in purchase agreement) but you can always ask (many do).

• HU-913321892
    Original Author
    last year

We cant choose a contractor yet because both people we spoke to said they cant give an estimate until they see the house. cant really choose somebody without a quote. they also both live within a few minutes of the house and said they are happy to pop over. we let them each know that we are getting a quote from someone else as well. we are hoping to stain floors day after closing so we can move in asap.

• millworkman
    last year
    last modified: last year

"we are hoping to stain floors day after closing so we can move in asap."

Are the floor raw wood? Do you have the finisher hired yet? Trades are quite busy so I am sure they will not be ready instantly. The floor would need to be sanded and then stain, then top coated, usually multiple days, type of finish dependent.

• mtvhike
    last year

Make an appointment for your prospective contractor(s) as soon after your closing date as possible.

• HU-913321892
    Original Author
    last year

@millworkman Sorry, i misspoke. we are hoping to sand and then stain wood beginning as soon as possible after we close. i know this is a process but would like to move in within 2 weeks of closing

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    last year

We asked the owner of the property we were buying if we could look it over again, measure for rugs and drapes, etc. before closing. She said no, which was her right. Might happen to you as well.

I think you are overly optimistic about getting some work done quickly and moving in asap.

As somebody said, this isn’t TV Land with Chip and the boys finishing the painting and planting flowers at 5 pm and Joanna prettying everything up that evening so the owners can ooo and aahh the next morning at 8 am. Not gonna work.

• Jen K (7b, 8a)
    last year

You can ask but if I were that seller who's already let you in twice I would say no. They're trying to pack up their house, it's in disarray and you and your contractor are trying to take measurements? No.

If you have a realtor you should be doing this through them and they should be advising you, no.

Whatever you're trying to do on short order will result in very poor results. Close on the house, get the contractor and make better decisions when you have a clear head. You'll have a much better experience.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    last year

If you have any further visits/viewings in your purchase agreement....The buyer of my condo requested 3, and I agreed, but that was part of the negotiation before I accepted their offer. Two visits is standard, but I don't know what's in your agreement.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    last year

I understand having tight deadlines when moving. I understand wanting things done before you move in. But I think you’re setting yourself up for a big letdown. Things just don’t happen that quickly - even before the recent pandemic issues. You need to take a breath and slow down. I wish you the best. PS: If I was the seller, I would probably not want you coming anymore while I’m packing, etc. I’m sure they’re on a deadline too.

• PRO
    User
    last year

Without a scope of work, no contractor has anything to bid. Jumping the gun and contacting contractors before you own the place is a red flag for them. So is thinking you can have anything done before moving in, unless your move in date is a year away.

• HU-913321892
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for all the feedback. yes, everything is being done via the realtor who said he’d be willing to ask for a second visit for us. im hoping to get 700 square feet sanded and stained before moving in. everything else im willing to have done while we live in the home. if that is unrealistic, the contractors ive spoken to havent been upfront with me….

• M Miller
    last year

The 2-week timeline is completely unrealistic. Even if you could get a contractor in to see it before closing. In my area, you could not get in the home for a visit before closing. It’s just not done. But if you could get in, you still could not book the contractor for the floor sanding and staining. BTW do you understand what is involved with choosing a stain? You can’t just say ”do it in the Chestnut stain”. You have to test several stains to see which one will look best. Or just do clear finish. But you need to adjust your expectation about the time.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    last year

Verbo has a good point about a contractor currently sitting around, at your beck and call. Probably not somebody I would want.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    last year

I would be cautious about hiring a remodeler who can start a project right away in the current environment. That said, "stuff" happens. A remodeler can find themselves with a hole in their schedule because of a delay in shipment of key materials for a scheduled project or a request from a client to defer work because of unforeseen circumstances like a recent diagnosis which will take the homeowner's time and energy away from their project. There's no harm in asking a remodeling company why they are available if every other company in the area has a lead time measured in months.

• mtvhike
    last year

The only thing the OP wants done before moving in is refinishing the floor. Yes, that is desirable, but not essential. I had my floors refinished while living there - it required some strategic moving of furniture but wasn't too difficult to live with.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    last year

To the OP - if you’re only having the floors refinished, I’d wait and get the best person/company you can find. As mtvhike says, it’s a bit of a pain when you’re living there, but it’s doable. You may regret a quick decision and a possible poorer outcome if you try to rush. Sometimes haste makes waste. Congratulations on your new home!

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    last year

Most likely you will be charged for an estimate since you don't own the house yet and most likely you will get a lowballed estimate to get a foot in the door so you call back, and after the closing things will change and you will need more estimates.

Close on the house, calm down and get a few solid estimates, compare apples to apples, and proceed with the work you plan on doing.

As floors go, today they use dustless sanding equipment for floors in existing homes, you don't even have to cover anything and a few pieces of furniture can always be moved from the room it's done all the time.

• dan1888
    last year

Floors tones are going lighter and less or no yellow. Not everyone can get you those non yellow light tones. You'll be living with this for years. Take the time now. White oak finish. Red oak.

• jane__ny
    last year

When we sold our house in NY, we delayed closing because we were looking at places to move. A young couple bought our house and accepted the delayed closing.

We moved out but didn't remove the furniture in case the buyers changed their minds.

Their Realtor contacted us to ask if they could bring their contractor and kitchen designer in to measure and see the house.

We agreed. They came in numerous times and when we closed, they were there the next day gutting the kitchen.

Also, the buyers, during the final walk-through asked if they could buy numerous pieces of our furniture. We agreed, they paid us and it was less we had to move out

Jane

• K R
    last year

Couple things - I agree the 2 week timeline is way too aggressive. We hired our contractor months ahead of time, agreed to the whole scope of work, paid in advance for some of it, and we are looking at 6 weeks from time of close to move in for purely cosmetic items. It takes time. Two - my house is under contract/inspection period over and the buyers asked if they could come in and measure, check on some stuff, etc., and I said yes. They excluded some minor repairs from the inspection so I was more than happy to accommodate them for a couple of hours. So it depends on the people and the situation.

• PRO
    User
    last year

Jane, I believe that you were in a different market, and different time frame. It's a much different market today, where they seller has the advantage, and uses it. A buyer is at their mercy for their conditions, and it would be unusual for them to allow multiple in home visits for a buyer.

It is also a different world for contractor availability. Remodeling is in such demand that a lot of unqualified individuals are becoming "contractors" without the needed skill or licenses. You very much need to beware someone who has immediate availability. And also check their licenses and insurance status, as as the very minimum. Do a written contract, with your expectations and industry standards set for both parties.

• elcieg
    last year

It is up to the seller to allow you to visit.

• catbuilder
    last year

Sanding and finishing floors should be the last thing you do, AFTER all the other construction is finished.

• Louise Smith
    last year

When I sold my last house, I had vacated the premises prior the day after we signed the contract to buy. I told my agent that the buyers were welcome to come to the house with their contractor as long as their agent accompanied them and my agent was informed. I was cautious since it was still my house and I was concerned about liability. Accordingly, I kept the security system active, including the cameras and sound recordings. Every time they came to the house, my security system notified me. And the cameras and the sound equipment recorded their movements and comments. Interesting what people will say when the sellers aren't there to hear. The most honest comments I ever heard about my house. (BTW, depending on your state, you may have to inform people if you are recording them.)