Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sonia_ra58

impact of headwall on home resale

sonia ra
last year
last modified: last year

I am planning to buy a property which has headwall on my backyard area. The current pic is taken prior to applying sod and landscape, as it's still under construction. Will having one such within the backyard lawn, impact resale value? how does it impact usage of lawn on regular basis?

what can be done near the area to better utilize the area?

Comments (13)

• charles kidder
    last year

I wouldn't want that in my back yard. Might cause future erosion issues.

• sonia ra
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks. Once sod is applied , will it help to prevent soil erosion?

• 3onthetree
    last year
    last modified: last year

I don't think there's any way to quantify it. Let's say that culvert is to a large, open, grassy, detention area. So your backyard would open to that - that would probably increase your value. Let's say that culvert will be finished with concrete embankments and the detention area will have a barbed wire fence - that would probably decrease your value. Let's say your parcel has a 20' drainage easement for the detention area beyond your property lines- that may limit sophisticated buyers who realize opportunities on that parcel are limited.

However, in these, or any situation for that matter, your initial value will be set based on those elements to begin with, and theoretically will keep that proportion of value compared to comps.

• 3onthetree
    last year

A retention pond holds and keeps standing water. A detention pond holds storm water only temporarily. They are not combined, either 1 or the other. The new subdivision site plans will show which one.

That is a culvert, because it does not have an apron or sidewalls as a headwall would have (at least in concrete, hardscaping may be yet to come). So water could be entering the pipe as well.

• Ally De
    last year

Thanks for the clarification 3onthetree. I just learned something. Appreciate it.

• frankielynnsie
    last year

Can you show pictures from farther back? It appears that your house is just feet away from the drop off. If that is so it would be a big No to me.

• sonia ra
    Original Author
    last year

@3onthetree based on my understanding, area near the culvert will be finished with complete sod and expected to have surge stone near to channelize the water and stop heavy running water as my adjacent lots point towards little slope elevation. there will not be any concrete or barbed fence around. The culvert currently doesnt directs the storm water towards any detention /retention pond. i assume it might be directing towards underground drain. any further thoughts ?

• sonia ra
    Original Author
    last year

@frankielynnsie. This is how far the house is from culvert (marked in black circle)

• 3onthetree
    last year

I am interpreting that site plan to have an extra drainage easement ("DE") of 5' beyond the 5' side setback ('SSB') on the right (20' DE = 10' for you, 10' for neighbor), plus the additional 'C' shape for the 100 year flood line. It appears that the culvert's pipe runs along that DE through your property to somewhere.

You are asking about value with all that - I can say without seeing the whole subdivision that some of the other houses will have a similar predicament - your immediate neighbor has the same drainage easements, probably others. This seems to be a large subdivision - so are you able to control data points between your house/lot and others (e.g. account for same model, same size parcel, etc) to evaluate what price you are paying - more, less, same?

And, having a 100 year flood plain encroaching on your parcel, will this kick in a requirement for flood insurance?

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    last year

Concerning your question about the effect on resale value:

Are there similiar properties (but without the water feature of yours) for sale in the neghborhood? If so: how does their sale price, now, compare with that of the property you plan to purchase?

• sonia ra
    Original Author
    last year

@rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ) the houses in my neighborhood are slightly 3-4k above for similar model , parcel size

• CA Kate z9
    last year

Based on what others have said, I'd say that they have given you a lot of good questions to ask the developer... and get it in writing.

Also, based on what others have said, if you are going to have a retaining/detention feature in your back yard you'd better know what you are doing and be prepared for a lot of work and maintainance.

Are you an avid gardener? Pond enthusiast? If not, then skip it.