Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emilyzl

Renovating Amish house

Emily L
last year

Does anyone have any idea how much it costs to pay someone to bring an Amish house into modernity? Usually this would be putting in electricity (typically available at the road but not hooked up), sometimes adding plumbing and bathrooms, and presumably also adding HVAC. I wonder if any older house renovators would know, since it might be similar to retrofitting a historic house that also never had these items.

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Ripped Jeans Construction
    last year
    last modified: last year

It's going to entirely depend on the specific house, size, location etc etc etc. Some Amish have limited electricity via solar, some (many?) have indoor plumbing.

All that to say, no idea, but it would cost a lot more than buying a house with these things already included.

Emily L thanked Ripped Jeans Construction
  • Emily L
    Original Author
    last year

Yeah, I had a feeling that was probably the answer. In many ways these houses are ideal for us, since we have 7 kids and are looking for some acreage and they typically have that with outbuildings, and also have many smaller bedrooms. Because of these problems, they are usually greatly discounted in price. So I guess I was wondering, you know, is this like a $60k project, or a $100k project, or more? Depending on that info, it could potentially still be worth it. But it's sounding like maybe not.

Here's just a representative example for sale in Hillsboro KY with 28 acres, 3000 sq ft, and an extra MIL house and outbuildings for 379k (though it hasn't sold in a couple months so likely cheaper than that):

But it makes a huge difference whether these houses will need $50k or $250k in help.

• cat_ky
    last year

Have you looked at it, to see, if it has electric, or bathrooms, etc. If not, it might be worth looking at, to see what all it needs, and if you are interested, then have a contractor look at it, so you would get a rough estimate.

Emily L thanked cat_ky
  • cpartist
    last year

The one advantage to those Amish houses is they are well made, so I'd definitely bring in an electrician, plumber, etc to see what can and can't be done and what it would cost.

Emily L thanked cpartist
  • Sigrid
    last year

Talk to a contractor. The other thing to pay attention to is where you'd stick the bathrooms. Normally, you'd have at least one half-bath on the first floor and 2 full baths on the second. The easiest thing to do is to turn one roominto a bathroom. A super-big closet can become a half bath. But, the bottom line is, those bathrooms have to go somewhere and that will reduce the number of bedrooms.

Emily L thanked Sigrid
  • pennfire
    last year

Another consideration is on site septic. You will want to understand local regulations.

I grew up in an Amish area and presently live in one and I have never seen an Amish property offered on the open market. Does this happen in other parts of the country?

Emily L thanked pennfire
  • Emily L
    Original Author
    last year

They are never advertised as "Amish house" so if you search for it you won't find it. However, if you put into Zillow etc a common Amish area (like Holmes County OH) and search for houses with 5+ bedrooms, you will find houses that are clearly Amish. Tell-tale signs include the light fixtures that are clearly a gas lamp (or no light fixtures) and a large kitchen with a table in the kitchen instead of an island.

• pennfire
    last year

Interesting. It never occurred to me Amish would use a realtor. All the sales I see in the real estate transfers are amongst the community, not to outsiders.

• Emily L
    Original Author
    last year

I have heard that too, but I have also heard that they use realtors when an entire small community or portion of community is moving or splitting off to go elsewhere.

• beesneeds
    last year

I think it would depend where the house is and how much work would be needed as to how much it could cost to renovate.

Like that house in Hillsboro has electric and water. You can see sinks and electric hobs and personal fan in the houses. There is a pole on the corner of the property where it meets the neighbor (who has electric since they have a pole), so if more electric needed to be run up to the buildings it could be. It has no bathrooms, so those would need to be built from scratch. But how much more plumbing and electric in the buildings tha would be needed would depend on there. It looks like all stove heat, so if you wanted to install HAVAC that would depend on there.

I looked up Holmes County OH and 5 bedrooms. 4 listings including one auction. All of them have electric, plumbing, bathrooms, and HAVAC, so not sure what would be needed with those.

Emily L thanked beesneeds
  • elcieg
    last year
    last modified: last year

Wow! That is some piece of property. I looked through the interior photos. There is running water in the kitchen, but the stove is a mystery. No mention of, nor photos of a bathroom. Full cellar, so that's great if you want to add or upgrade electricity or plumbing. Heat is from the stoves.

https://www.landsearch.com/properties/1603-big-bend-locust-rd-hillsboro-ky-41049/2425872

• nickel_kg
    last year

Interesting, and if I were younger that's the sort of place I'd enjoy. So much room to spread out. But not now. Seems like it would be easy to contact the seller/agent and ask what mod cons (modern conveniences) it has, or lacks.