Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swiss_chard_fanatic

Who to call for 2nd opinion on moisture in crawl space

swiss_chard_fanatic
last year
last modified: last year

A relative is selling her house. The buyer's inspector claims that there is excess moisture in the crawl space. This is a vented crawl space that has HVAC. We want to get a second opinion to verify that there is a moisture problem.

We are not considering encapsulating the crawl space, as we believe this is overkill. We now understand that there is improper grading and drainage on at least one side of the house, and that this needs to be remedied.

Who is qualified to determine whether a moisture problem exists?

Pest control company?

HVAC company?

Landscaper?

Handyman?

Other?

Comments (7)

• jewelisfabulous
    last year

In my area, we rely on foundation companies for this kind of issue.

• swiss_chard_fanatic
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

I've noticed that a lot of foundation companies want to sell a "crawl space encapsulation" and I am feeling wary of that idea.

What kind of general contractor should I look for? I thought that all the services I listed in my OP were general contractors.

There is no wood rot or mold growth; there is one area that is about 2 feet in diameter that has 1" of standing water. Is that a "serious" problem or a minor problem? And why is this a problem; what could happen to the structure as a result? First time dealing with these things so not sure about it all.

Thanks.

• sushipup2
    last year

When was last heavy rainfall before that water was noticed.? Is it there after a dry period.

And no, not all the professionals you mentioned are CGs.

You are right about foundation/basement people, they sell a product, usually one-solution-fits-all-problems. We went thru that after we got water in the basement after Ida last year. The basement companies wanted to install $15K french drains and sump pumps. The honest company found that the windows were leaking.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    last year

Both ground under the house that is perpetually wet, and the pressure of water wanting to flow through the foundation to the interior, can destabilize the soil and cause the foundation walls to shift over time, I believe. Plus provide a moisture source to the floor joists and possible mold/mildew, rot eventually, and can attract insects (mosquitos and others) - even cause a bad odor in the house.

You mentioned the need to regrade - it sounds like that is the most important thing to do. Good gutters and downspouts that extend away from the foundation, proper foundation drains, and grading ought to take care of the problem - if there is more water after a good rain possibly even a sump pump. You also mentioned the crawl space has HVAC - do you mean it is heated/cooled, or that there is equipment in the crawl space (not that I've ever heard of that)? Heating or cooling will not take care of a water infiltration problem.

A company that specialized in foundation/basement waterproofing is who to call. Call a couple for opinions and estimates. You don't have to buy encapsulation, especially for purposes of selling, although at least a moisture barrier is generally recommended.

• mtvhike
    last year

Are you trying to buy this house, or just asking for your relative? Is there a real estate agent involved? If so, what does the agent say?

• Sigrid
    last year

We had a damp crawl space. We put drains around the house to channel wth water away and filled it partway with gravel. We also needed to stabilize the posts because they'd shifted over time from frost heaves.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH