Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_madino

Convert ensuite powder & laundry to 3/4 bath w/ smaller laundry?

Jen M
last year

I'm stuck between updating the powder room and laundry OR reconfiguring the two rooms to create a 3/4 ensuite. I felt pretty confident about making a 3/4 but the longer i look at it, the more daunting the project feels. The door locations also seem to limit my idea for some of the fixture placements and i'm not sure how feasible it would be to move them. Also, we sort of love the pass-through and would hate to lose that, but could if it made the most sense. I also prefer my top loaders but not an insurmountable issue. It's tight in here, so we don't exactly have anywhere else to "steal" space from but my brain has stopped being able to visualize this project.

(I'm sure most of these measurements aren't accurate - i need to go behind this floorplan and confirm exact measurements - also in the laundry, the washer/dryer take up the full width of the space - there are no gaps lol)

I'm ready to start working on projects that customize the home a little more, some paint and some facelifting that I've avoided because I've always had one foot out of the door for a home that's larger but I'm confident that won't be happening any time soon (if at all) so I think it's time to start some projects. We don't NEED a second shower, and probably wouldn't for at least 4-ish more years (and frankly don't "need" it at all) but I'm considering the logic of doing facelifts that make the most sense, either for lifestyle or resale. I'd love an outside perspective or any thoughts!

Comments (7)

• Jen M
    Original Author
    last year

So definitely separate the laundry and 3/4 and make the laundry smaller? more like a stacked closet? OR like a combo bathroom with laundry in it? but tastefully design the stacked unit into a built-in?

Part of me feels like we could literally just move the wall over in the laundry, stack the units where the washer sits now - put in a pocket door and still keep the pass through. The laundry room entrance is right in our dining area, next to our back door, so I always liked the idea that if we are entertaining or have dirty kids, we could walk them right to the 3/4 through the laundry. But if we close the pass-through then we obviously have more wall to play with.

• jewelisfabulous
    last year

Either way would work. To decide, seek advice from general contractors in your area. They'll determine what labor and costs are needed for each option so you can decide which way to go.

• elcieg
    last year
    last modified: last year

Definitely choose the 3/4 bath option. And while you are at it, make it easily accessible. For resale you will get your money back. Meantime, when you tear your Achilles playing tennis, you will need a bathroom close to your bed, no edge to hop over to get into the shower, and room enough for your loving spouse to get in with you and scrub you clean (while having a plastic trash bag pulled over the boot to keep it dry).

Words of experience...it was a very long winter, but....HE WON THE POINT! And we are still married. And you don't have to be old and feeble to need a bathroom, close to the bedroom.

• Keny south
    last month
    last modified: last month

I tackled a similar decision recently. Consider mapping out the changes on paper or using design tools online. It helped me visualize better. As for fixture placements, consult a local contractor; they might have creative solutions. If the pass-through is a favorite, finding a way to incorporate it could be key. It's all about finding that balance between lifestyle and potential resale value.

• rockybird
    last month

I would definitely add a shower to the master en suite I woud keep the laundry as a separate room so you don’t have visitors or kids walking into your master suite to do their laundry.

• Keny south
    last month

"I tackled a similar decision recently. Consider mapping out the changes on paper or using design tools online. It helped me visualize better. As for fixture placements, consult a local contractor; they might have creative solutions. If the pass-through is a favorite, finding a way to incorporate it could be key. It's all about finding that balance between lifestyle and potential resale value. "

Speaking of laundry, where can I find a laundromat in Mercerville, New Jersey? I just moved from Trenton, and everything is so new here!