Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nikkiray16

Staging Living Room

Nikki Ray
last year

Hi,

We are preparing our house to sell and are having trouble getting the right furniture placement for this room. We have partially moved out (a before picture of how we had the room set up is attached). We have moved out the recliners, end tables, tv and will take down the corner shelves below the TV.

The room is 16' x 20' overall (sketch attached).

I am not opposed to buying small pieces of furniture/decor so the space looks better.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Comments (12)

• oreolucca1
    last year

I am a realtor. Ask your agent to stage it for you. It does not cost a lot and a professional will know what to do. Make sure it is immaculate. good luck

Nikki Ray thanked oreolucca1
  • jck910
    last year

Paint the blue wall to match the other walls

Nikki Ray thanked jck910
  • nickel_kg
    last year
    last modified: last year

Still too much stuff. I'd keep the rug, one sofa, one recliner, and one end table and set them up as if the tv were still in the corner. I'd remove the decor from the white walls. The blue wall is distracting, so I agree it would be better painted to match. The art on the blue wall is nice.

Nikki Ray thanked nickel_kg
  • KW PNW Z8
    last year

Agree with advice so far. Major good advice to paint that turquoise wall same color as the other walls. Remove the metal items on the light color wall - the items don’t look like art but rather like coat hooks & placement in LR is distracting & confusing. I looked at your older postings to see how this room was. You had couches closer to walls which looks better. If intent is to have a path to french doors behind couch, move couch on right in pic back to wall, which art should be removed from. Move rug to right of room enough so that couch front feet on,y are just sitting on rug. Float second couch with back to foyer & facing french doors, again with feet just on rug - make an L. Put one of the end tables back in the corner between the two couches & put either a floor lamp or table lamp on it. Put one recliner back into room at opposite corner of rug facing the two couches & put the other end table next to it to anchor it. I think this arrangement minimizes the bowling alley look of long room with furniture lining the walls. I think this also creates a conversation setting so buyers can appreciate the nice room size & what looks like nice flooring. That bright wall though really needs to go as too distracting. It’s a personal color choice that worked great for you but needs to be neutral for buyers. Make sure house is spotlessly clean & all clutter & personal items hidden Good luck!

Nikki Ray thanked KW PNW Z8
  • Nikki Ray
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all - I forgot to mention someone is coming in to paint that turquoise wall. I will try both furniture arrangements and remove some of t he art this weekend and update with more pictures.

Thank you for your help!

• elcieg
    last year
    last modified: last year

Empty the room; patch holes in wall; repaint the entire room one color.

Filling it with mismatched pieces will only make the room look difficult to furnish. Don't waste your money.

Have your realtor do a 3-D roomstyler and have those print-outs at the showings.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    last year

Agree with lyfia, my first thought was to remove one sofa, along with the TV device, the shelves, and all the stuff on the right wall.. I also think that the art on the blue wall, although it is nice, is too small for the space/bulk of the sofa. You need something taller and wider.

You could put an inexpensive narrow console table along that wall, hang or place the TV on or above it.. No coffee table if you do that, though. Add a floor basket alongside the console to finish that space, maybe a floor potted plant in the corner. .

Move the clock over to the wall where TV was.

On the right wall place the remaining sofa against the wall, and above it, you could use your art from the left wall, hung in an upside down L, and with another complementary print (at least as tall as the two pieces hung stacked in the L) beside to balance the wall and sofa bulk.

The rug needs to be centered on the sofa.

• Nikki Ray
    Original Author
    last year

• Nikki Ray
    Original Author
    last year

After some different options and consultaions with our realtor, local market etc this is where we ended up. It goes on the market next week - fingers crossed.

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

@Nikki Ray The painting of the strong colored wall makes a huge difference & makes it easy to focus on the pretty flooring! All is very clean and uncluttered looking. Thanks for coming back to show us & good luck with your sale!

Nikki Ray thanked KW PNW Z8
  • salonva
    last year

I think you did a great job and it will show well. That's the idea. I remember it was explained to me about staging ( and our home sold in a matter of days before the market was on fire!) that it's not to be for how you actually live. Of course if you're still living there (We were) it has to be comfortable enough but it's really the marketing illusion.

I think you are market ready. Well done.

Nikki Ray thanked salonva