Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tia_joseph1

what is wrong with this house?

Tia Joseph
last year

I hate so much about this but can’t figure out why.
It was listed at ~$5M (was only $0.5M - only 4 years prior), but the market hated it and it sold for ~$3M (they had to list at $2.88M… yikes)

What do you think?

Comments (28)

• acm
    last year

Like the kitchen, but the rest is all Very Particular Tastes, in a rococo direction. You have to love marble, etc., or expect to spend big to get rid of it!

• Toronto Veterinarian
    last year

Yikes - I hate all the marble (or marble-looking) surfaces -- way too busy for my taste, and probably very expensive to replace. You'd have to have the same tastes as the people who decorated it. Of course, there might have been other things that caused them to get lower than they thought, but I suspect that the owners expected everyone to love their aesthetic as much as they do - and were mistaken.

• User
    last year

You can’t buy style.

• pleballerina
    last year

It’s chaotic. There’s no natural flow for the eyes to follow nor is there any place for the eye to rest because all the elements compete with each other to be the “star”.
    It’s so gaudy it looks cheap.

• kudzu9
    last year

Hard to imagine living in a soulless place like that. Lot's of bling doesn't mean good taste.

• Snaggy
    last year

Nice kitchen ..the rest is horrible

• elcieg
    last year

How is the location?

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

The marble floor in the main living space near the stairs has to go. I'd tear that out and match the hardwood that's on the other side. The marble bathrooms are not so bad. You can "de-glam" a bit by putting in different light fixtures and put in plain white vessel sinks instead of the copper ones. Change the faucets to a satin brass and you're good to go.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

Mcmansion moved inside still horrible no matter where it is put. I am not really undestanding the question or your comments but that would be a run don't walk for me on every space except the kitchen , the kitchen actully is very classy the rest I love the Tony Soprano comment.

• chloebud
    last year

I think pleballerina’s ”chaotic” sounds right.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    last year
    last modified: last year

Someone with no taste chose the decor.

There’s a flipped house in my small town like this. Every wall surface, inside and out, is gray. All counters and fixtures and appliances (kitchen and bathrooms) are black. Every floor is black/gray zebra-stripey engineered wood, which doesn’t go with the walls. And is way overpriced.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    last year

It's easy to repaint, so all gray walls wouldn't bother me. Black appliances are easier to replace than marble wall tiles.

• chispa
    last year

Where is the house?

I would say Middle East or Canada with Middle Eastern owners?

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

There's an old saying; "All their taste is in their mouth!" Why do you care anyway, Tia?

• wishiwereintheup
    last year

The problem with the two bathrooms is the sharp contrast between the two types of marble which have a lot of veining. Notice in the kitchen, which I think is very nice, the counter top is quite subdued, even though it has veining, compared to the area behind the range.

The general problem, assuming this house is located in the USA, is that a vast expanse of marble with pronounced veining is definitely not in style here. For example, if you google "Italian luxury bath marble" you'll find examples of baths completely done in marble, some with pronounced veining, that are quite beautiful. They do look, IMO, more cohesive than the examples shown here.

The last picture has a similar problem (large area with a marble floor) plus stark contrast with the oriental rugs. Putting aside the rugs for the moment, here's a picture from the Florida Tile website. I wouldn't expect to see a living room floor like that here on Houzz, although it is beautiful, IMO. (Yes, it's porcelain tile, not real marble.)

I agree with chispa - my guess would be Middle Eastern owners.

Speaking of homes that sell for way less, The Daily Mail recently featured a mansion that took $30-some million to build but sold recently for only $9-some million. There aren't a lot of interior shots, but it looks way more reasonable than the original home posted here.

• rrah
    last year

When I worked as a real estate agent I would sometimes comment to buyers about really horrible houses that the sellers used "more dollars than sense (cents)." That seems to fit here.

• chispa
    last year

@wishiwereintheup, the house that sold for $9 mill was in Philadelphia, if I remember correctly. It was quite nice inside and came with around 20 acres and some outbuildings The comment by the realtor was that the top end in that area was $10 mill, so no one was going to pay $30+ mill.

• Tia Joseph
    Original Author
    last year

Here are a couple more photos of this house for anyone interested.

Thanks everyone for you thoughts on this!

(Update: the house is in Whitby, Ontario, Canada)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

I don't mind the marble splash, but those floors and oversized cabinet handles would need to go.

(The first kitchen I like those floors and the marble, but that weird ceiling is bothering me)

I also don't like all of the palatial marble in the entry or the bathrooms, ditto the very modern crystal chandeliers (that don't even work w/the red Turkish rugs)

This looks very middle eastern or very NJ circa 1995.

What's w/all of the ceilings in that white 'panel'- looking covering?

Did you buy it or what's with the questioning?

• Toronto Veterinarian
    last year

" It was listed at ~$5M (was only $0.5M - only 4 years prior) "

I had to look it up now that we got the location, and when it sold for $650K in 2018, it was a 2+1 bedroom/2 bathroom with a single garage. Now it's a full story taller, a 4+1 bedroom/7 bathroom with a triple garage, a pool, and an elevator. It's a new build on an old location.

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    last year

The kitchen is simple enough. The rest is awful. I would have to rip it all up and redo it. You'd have to pay me to live in this place.

• Mrs. S
    last year

Those bathroom sinks would drive me nuts. I can't imagine wanting bathroom sinks that cause normal hand-washing to run water down the arms to the elbows. I know some put that type of sink in a guest bathroom, but for everyday ablutions, give me a normal sink recessed into the counter every time.

And I have really never cared for the all-over dramatic hard-marble-looking walls/floors/showers/vertical surfaces. I I think it looks like a lobby in a business-y building, and not a comfortable home, and probably creates a cold echo. Can't imagine why anyone would use that zebra flooring either.

• User
    last year

Ostentatious

• aziline
    last year

I gotta say I love it. It's over the top but not to the point where it's waaaaaay too much. With a few minor changes could be Old Hollywood Glam. I am disappointed in the first kitchen though and the floors with the rugs on them. Both totally miss the mark. That flooring is awful mix of styles. And those large pulls do need to go. Bakelite looking pulls are just odd. Oh, and that last pic! I thought for sure it was going to be a huge walk-in shower not wine storage.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    last year

" I thought for sure it was going to be a huge walk-in shower not wine storage. "

Me too.....maybe it's a temperature controlled wine storage area?

• freedomplace1
    last year

“what is wrong with this house?”

Nothing.

Minor tweaking is all that would be needed.

No house is for everybody. And this house is not for everybody. Is it for me?

Yes.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last year

I think they lost their marbles.