Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karmalargo

Final touches on our new guest area

Alice Edwards
last year

Please be so kind as to help me finish our new guest bedroom. My old post has disappeared and probably a blessing in disguise! I have all the furniture in the only spots they fit in here. Is a small narrow bedroom (9’ x 13’)

Just received my third and final bedspread today and it seems to match my bird art frames above the bed. I realize i may need a bit more fluff in the bed although the buttons along the foot are really something i like. And I still want to paint the headboard and refinish the nightstand is where I am at now.

The rattan chair and armoire have a bit of different styles but I am keeping them in here and I just hung the new curtains.

I have attempted to keep my new post here brief but informative. The wall with the straw hat is something i’m working in and hopefully can make it work. I’m really not wishing to have this room formal, just pleasant and the vintage french (not too country) was my original wishes, hopefully I can gather help from us Houzzers to get this room more complete. The adjoining bathroom we added here has made me so happy with everyone’s help. I’ll show pictures as well of that here too.

We really stretched our budget on the bathroom addition, so i’m only able to move forward with most the items i already have here.

Everyone’s welcome here as you all know me here and always appreciate the help and fun we’ve had thus far.

I’m stubborn and will bot give up on finalizing, lol.

Comments (16K)

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

Roosters are usually not good pets! They can he very mean, they have one now that’s very mean, he’ll be eaten. Rudy, the previous rooster that unfortunately died was very friendly which is not usual.

• tiffany66
    yesterday

But epsom salt is fine.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

Tiffany I imagine what causes the double yokes is just like a twin in humans. I would actually worry about the company that is processing those eggs bc in my mind that many double yokes in a single dozen sounds like a synthetic chemical production heavy fertility case within the chicken houses. Surely it’s not a worry health wise if not often but eating double yokes frequently may not be too good?

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

I hope so, I’ve been reading that any salt, salt is salt, can damage soil for a long long time, made me start to worry.

• tiffany66
    yesterday

See Alice, that's what I thought when I saw that in one dozen there were so many. But then a week later I bought another 12 count and there are about as many in this dozen. I searched google and it says its a rare occurrence like 1 out of 1,000. Now I'm wondering what caused this many in a carton if it is just being produced naturally. Seems like manipulation happening here. I am going to call the store mgr. and the producer just to see what they think. But you are right no more buying from this company.

• liasch
    yesterday

Salt long term is not good for the soil. If you’re just putting it between the cracks of patio stones I wouldn’t worry about it too much. But I wouldn’t use it any place where you’re planning on planting things in the future.

• tiffany66
    yesterday

Alice you might ask the police to also put up those portable Signs that show you how fast you are going and what the speed limit is. Here it really gets the drive's attention and they do slow down. I do when I see them, because I think the police may be lurking about. We had one street everyone was complaining about at a meeting. Our police were just going to post more signs, until I ask them if they had the radar signs that clock the driver's speed to put out. Turned out they had 5 sitting in a warehouse. Duh. Best it be on the road.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

Tiffany that was just on the top of my head about the eggs but I got to thinking about the mass production all these manufacturers are testing and accomplishing around our country? Glad you’re checking it out!

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

Lia I’m doing a pretty big patch :). I think I’ll stop on the spraying there and see if I weakened the roots enough to dig it up. There is another area that I’ll just have a little brick area beside our water hose, that will be ok bc i’m not planting there but I sure hope I haven’t messed up now on the large area bc I do want to plant something els there. I’ll have to wait now maybe water water water and I guess I can get a little soil test at the store later on this year before I try planting?

• liasch
    yesterday

Alice, you should be OK if you haven’t dumped a ton of salt on it. You could also remove some of the surface soil and replace the dirt.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

I really think I can fix/help it, good idea adding and maybe start with plants that don’t mind a little salt? Seems i’ll have to add anyway after I get all these grasses out. I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed but that’s ok. Back yard is a disaster now, most cleaning up but I did start a bit. Little at a time. I’ve picked up several tools to get started, implantation will be the key lol. One trashcan at a time. We heard from the landscape guy and I knew it would be over the top for the front but I did get what I was hoping for in some ideas for our walkway, half the battle. Oh? Curious, your steps that go up the side, maybe to your front door? Are those cement and then you placed the rubber or metal mats on them? Could you please share how that was done. We have only one step up from the sidewalk to be thinking about 🙏

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    22 hours ago

Ok, I started on the outer flower beds! This is what it was, now has been cleared some. Worms all came forward, good big ones, no snakes? And I got in the hole behind the fountain rocks first bc it was the most scary!

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    22 hours ago

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    22 hours ago

Trying to post photos ugh

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    22 hours ago

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    22 hours ago

The old pump was in there, then I have several beds, these are just a few. I had to stop to save my back but cleared the two where the elephant ears are coming up. Just not sure what to do around the elephant ears? I hesitate to just mulch in here? I had planted many many caladium bulbs a few years ago. They came up right away then after that nothing, two years ago.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    22 hours ago

Before and after in the two beds. Lots of violets but I pulled them too bc they are everywhere and I know I didn’t rid of them but certainly slowed them down. Got hundreds of seed pods before they burst.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    22 hours ago

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    22 hours ago

P

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    22 hours ago

There was so much ivy growing at the fence, there is about a five inch gap between the walk in front and the fence, I pulled most of it out, it will certainly come back

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    22 hours ago

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    22 hours ago

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    22 hours ago

Embarrassing but this is what this has become! OH is not out here like he used to be, well, he just mows, but that’s a lot and plenty exercise for him, but I am going to work on it as best I can

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    22 hours ago

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    22 hours ago

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    21 hours ago

That old bench has got to go. We were going to repair it but not sure now? It’s so hard to clean down and under in there. And the brick to the right there of the grass i’m killing has come apart bc before i bought this place they new water lines to city were replaced in the back yard and i imagine that’s where it was. Anywho just sitting and talking :)

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    21 hours ago

Lol implementation not implantation! Kind of ironic I miss typed with that one?

• printesa
    20 hours ago

You have a lot of work to do..pavers, bricks require work..I have weeds between them also and need to clean soon..I was going to do some things today, but I only managed to dig out a few chrysanthemums and replant some..the heat and humidity are too much and it feels like someone is squeezing my head because of it. Hopefully I manage to finish tonight. Calling all kind of apartments to see if they have anything for two months did not help either..they say one thing on their site and then something else on the phone. Some do not even answer..they want to text them..

Tomorrow the little one has an appointment for wisdom teeth..hopefully they can remove them soon, so she is home for at least a week before going for the internship..She has a cold, but should be ok. She's had it for a while, but pushed through because she had exams and the trip to Santa Barbara..now that she can relax, so the congestion is no longer ignoring her:) Good thing I just bought a large jar of honey:)

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    19 hours ago

Oh good honey. It really helped me with my congestion. I really had too much though and may have caused some bathroom problems but only slightly. Ok, so she’ll be home for dental work and relax 😌 that’s good at least plan A. Well what about apartments? So frustrating. I’m sorry that’s been such an issue. Yes, online then calling and finding out different. Crazy just an act of congress to make something happen. Does she have an alternative vs an apartment? Is she the only one interning there from her school at this time? Wow, I had known she was doing that but had actually forgotten when. I imagine that did not help your head one bit. Remember you stating the barometric pressure could or may cause head aches for you last year. With the humidity it is usually high? I think? You may be onto something? Well, I do know you had planned on working on the chrysanthemums so you made your set goal. That’s more than most would get completed. ✔️. I do have a lot. It’s almost impossible to sweep with the weeds between the bricks. I lean with the broom, bend and pull, then sweep. I clean this not frequently but when I can. The patio really looks good if I can get past this time of year. The outskirts are my nemesis this year. It’s been touch and go. Spent too much time decorating and petting kitties lol. One of the girls I want to name Cheri, but still cannot tell two of the fluffy ones apart. And maybe one of the males Wilson. I’ve been trying to take notes. One of the short haired has to be a boy, he gets in my lap and just bites my knee. I had to give him a little spanking this morning lol. They pulled my sweat shirt jacket from the dining chair to sleep in. What do ya do? I’ll just wash it. I’ve been cleaning a lot last couple weeks, like more than I ever had to stay on top of the flea problem and put out our flea traps under a few spots, so far nothing in them, so I may have started soon enough to coral them. It can become very bad if you get fleas in the house especially if we don’t like or use conventional chemical treatments. And we comb them all every day and bath a few :).

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    19 hours ago

Today I wanted to use the loppers on some low limbs and bushes, but I may not get to that today, that will just have to wait. I’m waiting on my little shelf for our glass cabinet but have not seen delivery yet. Tracking said today.

• glschisler
    17 hours ago

Printesa, where is the little one going for her internship?

• glschisler
    17 hours ago

Alice, wow! I am too old to do all that yard work! OH is finding he can’t do what he wants to do any more. For example, we had our yard helpers lay down pine straw this spring . Now weeds are growing under it. He thinks I should go pull the weeds. I told him go buy Roundup and call our helpers.🙄

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    16 hours ago

Gls I’m getting to that stage and really in my mind I want to try to get this yard just in better shape that we don’t have these things to deal with. Not sure if that will ever be? Like plant things that don’t need much care but will slow the weeds from coming but I guess i could just leave it all but what a mess. Like where I put my two gardenias. Favorites and that area was all barren with all weeds. Every year I’de pull pull pull. Last year I stuck st. Augustine sprigs/ runners there from the front yard and it all took off to cover in just grass. Looks a ton better and not so much work but yea I know! I just said yesterday if we could find a kid that was pretty good just to come by every week maybe once or twice and help would be great! It’s hard for me and OH really hates doing anything out here anyway :(. Not his cup of tea :(. It’s good I proofread a little bit before I posted bc I had typed “just ignite it” lol, maybe it was reading my mind!

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    16 hours ago

Well I have to say the basket started painting many moons ago now has it’s purpose 💗 it’s for the end of our bed on that black velvet chest cover but hasn’t made it there yet :).

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    16 hours ago

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    15 hours ago

Ok we are in storm country again, lightning and thunder but I did get some sweeping done out back on the patio and got a picture of the one bed I did get in order, well enough for me last year for my cinnamon ferns, and I have two little ones coming up lol. I tell ya all this work will have an outcome! Not sure how good of an outcome but I am hopeful!

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    15 hours ago

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    15 hours ago

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    14 hours ago

I placed those red pavers there bc that is the side of our garage and the water run off makes a gully down the middle. It’s working pretty good so far to just splash it instead of washing out all the soil down and out on the end. My little shelf was delivered today so I shall play with that! Then work tomorrow. I get frantic around here on my little time at home only bc I know I’ll run out of time 😞 and lots I want to get done especially outside. Our heat wave is upon us I feel!

• happyleg
    14 hours ago

looks nice!

• kcooz07
    13 hours ago

Who is that with the white feet?

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    13 hours ago

Lol that is Karma! She is about 17 (?) now 💗

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    13 hours ago

Thank you Happy, just simple beds really is all I need. I filled that with compost and really didn’t have many weeds in there. Looking for an all year round perennial for the two beds I cleared today with the elephant ears. The elephant ears were the mammoth but really they didn’t go that big, maybe this year. They always look so droopy in the heat, then I think I water them too much? Ugh!

• printesa
    13 hours ago

Perfect basket for the kitty:)) They seem to find the best place like baskets, sweaters, boxes:))

I went back outside and pulled out all the mums that I needed to pull out..I will have to move whatever I can somewhere else..whatever makes it, makes it and what doesn't, it goes:) I cleaned most of the area I had in mind and I am happy with that. Tomorrow we are supposed to get rain

The little one is doing an internship starting on June 2nd and ends on August 1st. It in VA, just outside DC. There are other people interning...one girl who was going to share with her an apartment decided to rent through an airb an apartment that is shared by several people. If there were just girls, then sure, but there are also guys and the little one is not comfortable with that (we are not either). She found a girl who is subletting her apartment for that period. We will drive there Saturday morning to see it and make sure it's all good..so there goes Saturday:)..it's 2.5 hrs drive each way

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    11 hours ago

Oh that’s quite a drive but really important. I would feel the same way of the co-ed arrangement and I’m glad your daughter does too bc I guess she would insist in their teen ways! Hopefully the place is alright! It probably will be for that period of time. I don’t know where the Santa Barbara area came in but I may have been confused. Wow! She’ll be a bit closer to home for a bit, nice!!! 💗 well you prevailed on the mums, lol. Good feeling to get some things done. Headache subside a bit, i’m hoping? Or did you just endure? We have been under tornado watches all evening may still be, not warning. But the big storms are passed. Yes, the kitties find all kinds of spots. Last week Karma slept behind the washing machine? I was a bit worried that she fell back there, but it was easy for her to get out bc it’s pretty far away from the wall, so I put her in the guest room when she came out and she seems to be very happy so far? Zoom stayed out during the storm, would not come in. I cannot make them if I cannot find them so I imagine he found a safe spot. There’s all kinds of places out there.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    11 hours ago

I got my shelf arranged a little bit, may move some things around. I’ll get a picture in the morning. I do not go in until 11:00 so I have some good morning time tomorrow :).

• tiffany66
    7 hours ago

Alice you've really been working hard weeding your yard. That's a lot to handle. But you have made great progress. It's coming along. Good you are getting ahead of it before the real heat of Summer comes. I can tell you any plant that grows year after year is my friend. Those geraniums I have are the best. They are about 2 ft. high now and chuck full of flowers. I have a 36 in H urn in the center of them. Good thing I raised up the urn 2 ft. so you can see it with all those geraniums. I'll have to remember to snap a photo and show you guys. I wish they were perennials everywhere they are so pretty. The soil they are in is so good. After all my years of adding gypsum to it, that clay soil is now so loose I can literally cultivate about 10-12 inches in that dirt easily. For such a cheap product, It's done a great job breaking down the clay and there is good drainage. You might think about adding some to your planters before you put in your new plants. It may also neutralize the salt you used to kill the weeds.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 hours ago

Good morning, I’ll put gypsum on my list for sure! I can break these soils up and work it in to the beds with the elephant ears too???

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 hours ago

The little shelf gave a bit of depth in the cabinet for our stuff. Still working on it.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 hours ago