Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shirasobel

Terrazo Bathroom Floors

shira sobel
last year
last modified: last year

We purchased this place and it has old terrazo flooring in great shape.

The plan is to install laminate everywhere except in the bathrooms.

Any ideas on how to update it without ripping out the floors?

Prefer to keep existing tile around the tub, but more willing to do redo that then flooring (have done diy tiling on walls, but never on the floors)

These are the only pics we have until we take possession of the property, so I am including a pic of another room so you can see the flooring...

Comments (20)

• arcy_gw
    last year

This is unclear what you are asking. You are going to cover all the floors EXCEPT the bathroom...so all you need are strips to make the transitions? Or are you saying you want something different from the vinyl to put in the bathroom? In the bath you currently have a perfect floor for a wet space. Like the wall tile I would work with it.

• shira sobel
    Original Author
    last year

I am looking for design ideas to help the bathroom look cohesive, intentional

I will change out the faucet, maybe put in a mid- century modern vanity instead of the current one, but I am looking for suggestions for what I can do on the walls/ design elements to make it look up to date

• teamaltese
    last year

I suggest you wait for a couple of months after moving in. You’ll see how well the layout works for you, and if any thing needs repair. The terrazzo floor is lovely.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    last year

The terrazzo is the element I would keep but I live somewhere where it’s considered a luxury floor, I know in some places it’s very common. The bath tiles are blah and that where I would spend money

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

IMO terazzo is MCM so not sure what the reasoning is behind what you are asking. I have a 50s MCM ranch and if it had terazzo floors I would have been thrilled and could have saved a ton of money on flooring .As for getting answers about a space we can't see that is impossible. IMO the tub plumbing is all wrong so I would be ripping that out before the floor.

• JDMCCL
    last year

I’m also in the “keep the terrazzo “ camp. I had mine refinished and love the results

• cpartist
    last year
    last modified: last year

Why would you cover over terrazzo with cheap laminate? That makes no sense. As Hallett said, it's considered a luxury flooring. Laminate is a HD special. Covering over the terrazzo would be considered remuddling.

• Jilly
    last year

The terrazzo is so fabulous and desirable. Keep. :)

• spammie
    last year

Here’s another vote for Team Terrazzo. Laminate would be a huge downgrade.

• Fori
    last year

It looks like terrazzo tiles (as opposed to poured in place). It's...uh...not the terrazzo I'd desire.

Move in. Take better pictures. Show us how it really looks.

• shira sobel
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks everyone for your advice

I am trying to get all the work and materials (we still have supply chain issues) set up before we move in

The reason we are covering the terrazzo in the rest home, is because we are extending the living space to a covered area outside, and we need the flooring to match.

Our debate is about the bathrooms is there anything we can do to update the space without redoing the flooring or tiles, as they are in great shape.

Also the home is not in "real Terrazzo" its the small terrazzo tiles from the 60-70's and not the high end product lots of you are referring to.

Especially considering that in 5 -10 years down the line we will be doing another, more permeant extension where we will be gutting and redoing the layout of the apartment ( we don't take loans for renovations, and this is the time frame we expect it will take up to save enough funds).

I still want to live in a nice space that I am not embarrassed of in the interim

• Mark Brunner
    last year

Leave the terrazzo, take the cannoli.

• btydrvn
    last year

I might consider a glass enclosure surrounding the tub…to modernize and to integrate the existing tub area a little better…before you re- tile move sink and shower fixtures to more appropriate locations…but first look at “Houzz photos”…using “ bathrooms with terrazzo flooring” as a search word…see what others have done

• btydrvn
    last year

It doesn’t seem likely that existing tile can be preserved …in order to relocate fixtures …

• joots07
    last year

I can understand you wanting to cover it the terrazzo floor. The way it was laid the patterns aren’t random so the effect is not high end. If possible can you paint it? Maybe even come up with a big abstract multicolor pattern that plays up the flow between the rooms. I can’t tell how smooth the floor is, but if the paint is well done it could be a nice bridge to your next reno.

• shira sobel
    Original Author
    last year

The extension to the outdoors is something that we already looked into

Because there is already a concrete floor with tile and a pergola with a tile room, it is just a matter of walls and windows, but we do need to make the flooring continue

We don't want to change the layout now because we are doing a full gut soon

I am leaning towards ha glass enclosure on the tub, changing the vanity to a MCM to go with the terrazzo (in the bathroom)

What else can I do to make it work?

I don't like painting tile, I think it looks cheap

• mmc429
    last year

Tell us again - how long are you thinking you wait between now, this modification, and the gut job? There’s nothing embarrassing about a clean home if you can keep it clean.

• felizlady
    last year

If you are keeping the footprint, the only thing I would do is enclose the tub/shower to avoid getting water everywhere outside the shower. The mirror over the sinks seems quite high for an average-height person.

• felizlady
    last year

If the flooring in the bathroom is slick tile it’s a hazard, and a slip-and-fall accident in a bathroom can be fatal with all the hard materials and edges. Safety first! If you move in before the bathroom is redone, add rubber-backed bathroom rugs for safety. Personally, I’d redo the bathroom before moving in.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

My parents built a home that we moved into in 1963, when I was 2 years old. It was a MCM masterpiece by today's standards. I didn't think about the flooring until today while reading this post. When we moved in we had brown speckled floors throughout the house with the exception of the sunken living room that had thick, orange, shag wall to wall carpeting and the bathrooms that were small blue tile floors and walls. I now realize those floors were most likely poured terrazzo. I must have been about 12 when my mom had them covered with wall to wall carpeting in the majority of the house and got a light colored sheet vinyl in the kitchen, family room and laundry room. I remember that it ruined roller skating down the 40' gallery and around the dining room table and back up the gallery to my parents bedroom where we skated around the king sized bed (centered in the room) and back down the gallery. I also remember the big commercial scrubber/buffer she used a couple of times a year to scrub and buff those floors.

Even then my mom tired of the aesthetic of the terrazzo flooring. I think she was right. The speckles were busier than the solid coloring of the wall to wall carpet and the carpeting did more to enhance the beauty of the mahogany wood paneling, trim and doors.

I don't seem to have a picture handy that has the Terrazzo floors and most of the pictures I have handy are old Christmas photos, but you can see the orange carpet, and the mahogany wood. Terrazzo just didn't go as well as the solid color carpet. (We had a large family).

Someone may someday remove the carpet and find those floors underneath and be thrilled, but it is fair to say that not everyone loves the look of terrazzo and regardless of cost, it may or may not provide the aesthetic that a homeowner is looking for.

Mom also owned a torturous cane vanity seat. My sisters and I recently laughed over our memories of having to sit on that bench when my mom did our hair and getting the skin on the back of our thighs pinched in the cane. We all hated that vanity bench and not one of us is sorry that it went with the house. The new owners are welcome to the bench no matter what the current value and not one of us would have it in our homes even if it were being given away.

Decide what aesthetic you want in your home and go ahead and cover the Terrazzo with whatever flooring you want without guilt. It may be perfectly functional, may be iconic, may be expensive, but if you don't love it you shouldn't have to look at it every day of your life.

If I were going to cover the floors in the rest of the house with LVT, I would probably just continue that flooring into the bathrooms and have one consistent flooring material throughout. Buy some extra so that when you do the full gut on the bathroom later you have enough to re-do that room. You can place a floating floor over this flooring without removing it.