Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
al_christy

Pipe protruding from house - New Construction

Al Christy
last year

Hi all,

Looking for some insight as a first-time home buyer.

I'm looking into buying a new construction home - I had a 3rd party home inspector come in to take a preliminary look (it's not yet complete).

The water is not yet turned on, but the home inspector thinks this may be a water line. His comments were thus: "PEX water line stuck out of the ground and could easily be damaged by a mower. Recommend builder reroute this line."

I'm guessing this is NOT standard construction practice? To have a pipe sticking out of the wall? Any recommendations on how to navigate this situation? I like the house, but didn't put a huge amount of earnest money down. I'm willing to walk away, so I think I'm in a good place to demand changes prior to sale.

Guidance appreciated.

Comments (65)

• just_janni
    last year

And the inspector was "right there" didn't figure this was the condensate drain and missed the OSB pool liner that will rot just sitting there.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    last year

"And the inspector was "right there" didn't figure this was the condensate drain and missed the OSB pool liner that will rot just sitting there." Yep. Another low value-added inspection requested by a homeowner or lender, performed by an individual who's poorly equipped to perform the function, and whose liability is limited to the cost of the inspection.

• ulisdone
    last year
    last modified: last year

If this is a pex water pipe it sets the scale in this photo; the turf is way too close to the bottom of the siding and, as stated, this siding detail is a maintenance/longevity nightmare.

• just_janni
    last year

Another low value-added inspection requested by a homeowner or lender, performed by an individual who's poorly equipped to perform the function, and whose liability is limited to the cost of the inspection.

It's really sad that this is necessary at all - but it's hard for the average homebuyer to feel like they have someone in their court to catch stuff like this - especially as fewer folks work with their hands / have basic knowledge of construction / fixing things. Where's a new buyer to go? Production builders are getting away with this stuff, putting one year warranties on homes (when it's highly likely the shoddy work will last a bit longer than that) and keep pumping out the homes.

• Ally De
    last year

One of the problems is the vast majority of new construction usually has significant points of suckage. I was in the market for a new "forever" home twice in the last 8 years (turns out forever isn't very long!), and prior to that also had a new home built for me (in a different part of the country) 10 years ago.

While I am sure the GCs who post here are building quality custom homes and don't churn out garbage, unfortunately that was not the norm (at least that I experienced). The new home that was built for me ~10 years ago came with significant problems, and both new "forever" homes that I bought also had some amazingly poor workmanship issues.

Production builders certainly value speed over quality and us poor home owners are just doing the best we can not to be screwed over.

• bry911
    last year

@Al Christy - I recognize that my advice is based on a single picture without a lot of perspective.

However, based on that one picture, I suspect this home will have a myriad of maintenance and repair problems in the not so distant future (I would expect they will begin about 3 days after your new home warranty expires). I would advise pausing the deal, if possible, and getting a competent contractor to take a critical look at the home. While the lack of flashing is only one item, it is an indicator of larger quality issues and it should not be ignored.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    last year

the pipe in question does look like a drainage pipe, but, if that is the case, it should not be buried in the soil next to the foundation. I second bry911's recommendation to have a competent person closely evaluate the house before proceeding further.

• maddielee
    last year

Is the pipe/tube/hose buried? Or did the landscaper just throw sod over it?

It looks like the hoses here (FL) for AC drainage. They aren’t buried, but often not clear from yard cuttings etc.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    last year

"While the lack of flashing is only one item, it is an indicator of larger quality issues and it should not be ignored." Absolutely! If an important detail is missed, it's reasonable to expect others to be missed as well. That statement applies to both the builder and the home inspector.

• weed_cutter
    last year

My understanding is PEX should not be exposed to sunlight, could be wrong. Just trying to add another point to mention to the builder.

• worthy
    last year

^^^^^^

30 days

• Al Christy
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still waiting to hear back from the superintendent, but in the meantime, I'm going to locate another inspector. The one I hired had good reviews, so this is disappointing.

• cpartist
    last year

Try to find an inspector who used to be a builder. We hired an older gentleman who had been a custom builder in our area for many years before retiring from that and starting to work with construction lawyers as an inspector.

• chispa
    last year

I used an inspector once that was a PE (professional engineer). Came recommended by some friends and was very thorough and detailed. Was retired from engineering. At least you knew he was more than just some handyman.

• David Cary
    last year

On the PEX and 30 days exposure issue. I have basic cheap pex - ie not UV protected - that lives outside fully exposed to sun and fully pressurized. I have had it for 11 years. Some of it is original and I think 1 leak in that time. Much of it has been replaced over time but some of it is original - I know this because i just buy white but the original was red and blue.

The valves rust away earlier than the pex deteriorates (ocean front).

Not suggesting that it is a good idea but just that 30 days maybe a bit extreme. There are reports of inspectors that will cut them if they see them uninstalled and exposed to sun.

Obviously - interior pipes are a ton more important not to leak.

I am going with condensate line than someone just threw sod over. Lift the sod up - don't need to hire someone to do that. All tract homes are disasters - but most people do it. That OSB though - ouch.

• 3onthetree
    last year

A condensate line can be fairly easily switched to CPVC, even DIY. That is not a big enough issue to walk away from deposit money (deposit down on tract build or earnest money contingent on inspection?) or the main reasons this house attracted you.

The OSB, which I thought was dead grass clippings, that is another item that should follow the same process.

What you have to do is systematically recognize each item that comes to your attention: evaluate whether it is wrong, sloppy, or just different than you'd do; can it be changed or fixed, and who will be responsible for that; is it worthy enough of escalation, weighing each and every issue to the whole of your decisions to purchase this house.

• Seabornman
    last year

In my experience PEs (and architects) don't know everything. They just think they do.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

"In my experience PEs (and architects) don't know everything."

I do.

(humor, hope nobody hurt themselves laughing)

• bry911
    last year

I do.

The question being... Do you remember anything?

• tete_a_tete
    last year

I showed my husband the photo above and he thought it might be attached to the dishwasher. Is there a dishwasher?

Funny how these days we have fancy things but no workmanship.

• klem1
    last year

I think the builder is a clever ex-circus barker that put the pipe there as a distraction from countless deficiencies elsewhere. It worked to,just look at everyone on point like birddogs on a grouse.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    last year

If it is indeed a drain line, I submit that a flushing dog simile would be more appropriate than one with pointing dogs.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

I don't remember anything, but I know where to look it up.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

It could be part if an alien communication system. Does a humming sound come from it at 3:51 am or during full moons? Does it glow at night? Does it have an oder like a burnt cow? Is there a fountain or birdbath in the yard?

• Brian Cornwell
    last year

Looks like an Uponor pex line which will deteroriate when exposed to sunlight. They can be burried, but UV is what destorys them.

• res2architect
    last year

Show this to your inspector. He owes you an explanation.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    last year

Not an approved place for pex type plumbing.

Condensate lines are typically PVC but must be painted for UV protection.

Is that OSB showing at the bottom of the siding in the track? If so, that's a no go. Is that vinyl or metal siding?

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    last year

Looks like exposed OSB, and nothing visible to stop water from leeching back under the siding. Another no-go. Another sign that's it's time to walk.

• 3onthetree
    last year

I cannot think of a detail scenario with a plywood sheet alone laying horizontally past the foundation edge. All I can think of is a shed with a dehumidifier inside?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

Is there a temporary make-shift urinal on the other side of the wall?

I love these games. What does the winner get?

• worthy
    last year

...to live and shop another day.

"Run, don't walk!"

• klem1
    last year

Mark Bischak, Architect

"I love these games. What does the winner get?"

Isn't opportunity to participate in the room full of monkeys game reward enough?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

Good point.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    last year

@klem1,

That would make you one of the monkeys, n'est ce pas?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

Haven't You Always Wanted A Monkey?

• bry911
    last year

The OP appears to have left the room.

The OP posted a response two days ago noting that they were acting on the suggestions. There has been no new information in posts that would require the OP's return since then, so I am not sure why you feel they would need to post again.

Do you really think the OP needs to participate in the jocular discussion also?

• Al Christy
    Original Author
    last year

I've got a new inspector scheduled, but in the meantime I asked a friend to go look at the house (I'm buying out of state). They checked and it's not OSB - it's orange plastic, of all things. Crisis adverted (at least on that front)!

I know this situation must sound silly to all you experienced folks! I do appreciate everyone's insight.

• CA Kate z9
    last year

Al Christy, I guess I'd not be worried so much about the pipe as I would about that underlayment being exposed. That's bad news all around. I'm glad to hear you got a new inspector.

• PRO
    Inspector Mike®
    last year

Has anyone said that it is the discharge for the T&P?

• aklogcabin
    last year

Maybe the inspector couldn't see where it went n its not his job to tear into someone else's home. He was correct, get a plumbing professional to come change the route as this was not proper. The ydid their job.

Is this proper no. Maybe your home inspector is qualified to do this job under a different hat

• PRO
    Inspector Mike®
    last year

(h) A corrosion resistant water drip collection and drain pan must be installed under each water heater that will allow water leaking from the water heater to drain to the exterior of the manufactured home, or to a drain. This looks OK to me.

• bry911
    last year

@Inspector Mike® said, "This looks OK to me."

Really, you don't see a problem here?

• PRO
    PPF.
    last year

Does no one read?

The OP said:

I've got a new inspector scheduled, but in the meantime I asked a friend to go look at the house (I'm buying out of state). They checked and it's not OSB - it's orange plastic, of all things. Crisis adverted (at least on that front)!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

I don't read these things, I just comment. Sometimes the comment make sense.

• bry911
    last year

@PPF. - I am kind of old fashioned in that I believe my experienced eyes, over the word of a "friend,' who either looked at the wrong thing, or didn't know where/what to look for. I did read what the OP wrote and chose to ignore it since the OP was getting another inspector. However, it is obviously particle board with a NAILING Line on it. How many times have you seen orange plastic with a 16" or 24" nail line on it and obvious wood fibers?

I don't know what is there now, but I do know that picture is particleboard. You are marked as a "PRO", are you going to tell me that you will accept that is a picture of orange plastic?

----

I strongly suspect that the friend actually saw the edge of a vapor barrier or landscaping fabric in the picture below and that is the plastic they identified rather than the problem.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

That orange plastic in the J-channel looked a lot like OSB to me too, but I trusted the friend. I think the OP should get a second opinion on whatever it is in the picture that looks like OSB (to me).

• res2architect
    last year

The OP's photo is of a horizontal J-channel typically installed at the bottom of vertical vinyl siding. The installation instructions require weep holes to be drilled in the bottom of the J-channel.

The mystery is why the inside of the channel is not the same color as the outside of the channel. I suspect holes were not properly driled and residue from evaporating water has remaned in the channel.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    last year

Or leaves/ sawdust/ sand blown up into the J channel during construction before the sod was laid? Luckily easy to diagnose on site and hopefully their second inspector can check.

• Architectrunnerguy
    last year

@res2architect

I suspect holes were not properly driled and residue from evaporating water has remaned in the channel.

When I looked at this a few days ago and that's exactly what I thought. Brown/reddish dirt blew in there when it was wet, the water evaporated leaving the J-channel stained with dirt.

• Seabornman
    last year

I'm starting a GoFundMe page to raise money to send an professional forensic scientist to the site to determine the exact material that is at the bottom of that siding. Inquiring minds want to know.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio