Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
talia_iannelli

Ideas to market house still being built

Talia I
last year

Hi! Just coming on to see if anybody has any ideas on how best to market a house that is structurally built but not yet complete. I am thinking maybe putting an easel and a canvas with an inspirational photo of what each room could look like design wise. I am trying to help the buyer envision how amazing they can use the space. I would love some ideas. This is the stage that I am trying to market at (in the photo below)

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    last year

Renderings, walk through video, online, on sign. Rough spec sheets for finish.

Typically clients still can't visualize until home is drywalled and hard to get bites unless inventory is scarce.

Interesting framing. Will the home be wrapped in shear? Region?

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last year

I have worked with builders that used to market this way. Then they had buyers interested, they would spend all the time helping gather materials, cabinetry, lighting etc ( with a retainer of course ) and clients were still walking away because they didn't want to "wait ' for the house. Lots of hours wasted and missing out on other potential buyers. It just hasn't been a great plan around this area. Now they built to completion with their own designer and just sell it.

They do put it on the market before completing using renderings. It has been much easier and much quicker.

Good luck - looks like a beautiful location

• chispa
    last year
    last modified: last year

Agree with Debbie. Friend of ours was a builder/remodeler and would do some very nice high end flips. He would never market until the house was completely finished. Adding a buyer before finishing just makes things more complicated, specially with the wrong buyer!

Another builder did have an early buyer and they wanted a completely different kitchen. The builder took $50K in cash and changed the kitchen. Those buyers did close, but you have to have a contract that will protect the builder if that buyer walks away at the last minute and leaves you with a kitchen that doesn't belong with the exterior style of the house.

• Talia I
    Original Author
    last year

I am an intern for a custom home business in Orlando Florida we are dealing with demand exceeding supply. It’s more about helping customers see the vision of the house. I was tasked to come up with some creative ideas. I am unsure how to go about learning CAD/ doing fancy renderings but I’m considering learning that. Was just wondering if anyone has been in the same boat as me and have done something that’s worked.

• PRO
    Ouroboros Design
    last year

You are not going to be able to learn photorealistic rendering fast enough to do anything about that house. It is a 10K minimum spend, with 18 months of learning the nuances. You should farm it out to someone local who already has the skills. Develop a partnership. But if demand exceeds supply, most people will not care. They will just throw money at you until you accept it. People cannot afford to be picky just because they lack visualization skills.

• Seabornman
    last year

Overseas renderers will do it for far less than US or do-it-yourself. BTW, what builder installs windows in the rough framing stage?

• res2architect
    last year
    last modified: last year

The house across the street was sold with an online rendering before the framing started.

Photo of finished house:

A 3D computer model can be rotated on screen and modified for the buyer.