Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_985100856

Relocate to Connecticut Build vs Buy

I am tentatively considering relocating to Connecticut (Norwich area). Ideally, I would build a small or even tiny house on an acre or five. I would also consider a multi family home with two units. My mind is open!! My budget, not as much 😉

With many differences from the Midwest like zoning and code, basements, water wells and heating with oil.... What questions should I asking? What other things do in need to consider?

Comments (9)

• Cecelia Watkins
    Original Author
    last year

A 900 square foot cottage sounds great! What regulations do you mean?

• David Cary
    last year
    last modified: last year

Many jurisdictions do not allow the construction of small homes. The usual reason is to maintain RE values for current residents and also as a tax base. The other regulation is that much of land is zoned for single family housing and can't be two units. Those are the 2 that come to mind. So you could buy a 3 acre tract but have to build a 2000 square foot single unit on it. No small houses, no two units.

I have no personal knowledge of Norwich codes but these things are pretty typical.

• kempek01
    last year

Personally, I would not want to move to a new area and build right away. I would either buy something or rent for at least a year.

At this point, you aren't familiar with the builders in the area. You'll need time to research that. By waiting on your build, you will also avoid combing the stress of the move with the stress of the build.

• elcieg
    last year
    last modified: last year

Norwich or anywhere, find a buildable piece of land in your price point. Contact the seller's agent for answers to your questions. Yes, there are state regulations, but there are also town regulations. No one here can advise you properly, unless of course, one of us houzzers are knowledgeable about Norwich.

The market in CT has fluctuated in the last 10 years. Now that the pandemic rush has subsided, you may be able to purchase a house in your budget. Norwich is not a high end town. Check realtor.com

• Toronto Veterinarian
    last year

"People who want little room are shifted towards apartment living, or sharing dwellings. "

Yes, as I said: A horrible idea, wasteful and short-sighted.

• dan1888
    last year

Check the local zoning regs,

What is the minimum square footage for a house in CT?

§ 154.051 MINIMUM FLOOR AREA. Every dwelling unit shall contain at least 120 square feet of floor area for the first occupant thereof and at least 70 additional square feet of floor area for every additional occupant thereof, the floor areas to be calculated on the basis of total usable floor area of habitable rooms.

Look for land on Zillow.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    last year

Often less expensive to buy resale than build & develop on a larger parcel.

• worthy
    last year

Connecticut is a high tax state. So if there's no job or family related reason, consider a lower tax state. That's why we were set to move two states north till sudden surgery and inertia intervened.

. The

The lighter the colour the less the tax burden.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH