Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
verna_lee62

Builder refused to replace damaged roof shingles?

Verna Lee
last year
last modified: last year

Hello.

I’m building a new house with a builder called Toll Brothers. They agreed to replace the damaged shingles after seeing my inspection report a few months ago.

I found out they haven’t replaced the shingles one month before closing but this time they refused to replace the shingles as they promised.

Do you think these roof shingles with surface damage need to be replaced by the builder in a new construction?

Is this a big concern if these shingles are not replaced or repaired?

I’m worried that it can cause roof leak or the roof will be blown off during a storm.

Some areas are wavy.

Thanks.

Comments (21)

• worthy
    last year

Maybe wrinkled underlayment. Or lack of adhesion, especially if the shingles were newly laid. A couple months of summer sunlight on the glue tabs and they should adhere better and flatten out.

To avoid premature shingle wear and plywood decking problems, extend the downspout dumping water directly on the roof below to a direct connection with the eavestrough. Not likely a Code violation. Just standard production build.

As for the damaged shingles, clearly they should be replaced. When I was a licensed builder under a mandatory government programme, I would have no choice. But it's Toll Bros....

Verna Lee thanked worthy
  • acm
    last year

Yeah, Toll Bros doesn't have a great reputation. You might try to get an estimate from another builder, and ask to have that much put into escrow at closing...

Verna Lee thanked acm
  • littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last year

There have been many posts mentioning Toll Brothers on this site over the years, most of them not favorable. Good luck.

Verna Lee thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • houssaon
    last year

Toll Builders have a terrible reputation in our area.

Verna Lee thanked houssaon
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

"They agreed to replace the damaged shingles after seeing my inspection report a few months ago.

I found out they haven’t replaced the shingles one month before closing but this time they refused to replace the shingles as they promised. "

The 'promise" was communicated, written, documented.....where and how? Digital, or other.

Closing is .....when? If you haven't closed? Don't close, or ask WHY the promise was broken. What happened in a month?

Has it rained, been windy, snowed? Is there any water inside ? Have they inspected again and deemed it perfectly passable/minor?

What is missing is the interim, here and why, and the documentation of the promise.

Verna Lee thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    last year

Toll Brothers advertises themselves as "America's Luxury Home Builder." I guess they consider replacing the shingles a luxury and not a necessity.

Verna Lee thanked Charles Ross Homes
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

The unevenness can be caused by improperly fastening shingles without allowing space for the shingles to lay flat after the roof jacks are pulled. This could be a relatively easy fix if that is the problem.

The shingle damage doesn't appear to be too severe. It's not like they are holes.

Verna Lee thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • strawchicago z5
    last year

littlebug Zone 5 Missouri I'm in NW Chicago and consider moving to Missouri if my daughter lands an actuary job there (she graduates this Dec. 2023). Husband is 64 and can work remote if we relocate.

St. Louis, MO is 4 1/2 hours south of us in a warmer zone .. I'm in zone 5a. If we move, it would be to a newer home (preferably less than 10 years old). I woud love to learn more about Missouri and what are some good home-builders, also which parts of Missouri have the best soil for gardening? Feel free to message me in Houzz. Thank you.

My house was built by Centex builder in 2000 to 2001. There was a strong storm which blew away roof shingles a few months after I moved it. Centex sent a roofer twice to replace the shingles (free of charge).

After our 1 year-warranty on the house (from Centex) was over, years later another storm blew away some roof shingles, and it was about $500 quote from local roofers to replace those shingles.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    last year

Get a separate inspection &/opinion from one of the following:

• A licensed roofing contractor
    • A licensed inspector (they don't exist in my state)
    • The roof materials manufacturer (probably the best option if available)

If this install meets the standards of the manufacturer as is (that is possible IMHO) and you don't have a written promise to replace from Toll you don't have much.

Verna Lee thanked Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    last year

I’m in rural Missouri and thus am not able to advise you, @strawchicago z5, on big city production builders. Hopefully there’s someone here from the St Louis area who will chime in. (I attended a conference in StL twenty years ago and swore I’d never go back. And I haven’t.)

As to good dirt for gardening, the best is in north Missouri (nearest Iowa, of course). South of the Missouri River, the land gradually becomes poorer and poorer. Very rocky and no topsoil to speak of.

You can see for yourself - there’s lots of rowcrop production north of the River (corn, soybeans, wheat etc) but south of the River you begin to see much more pastureland and then further south are the Ozark Mountains. Where farmers are growing good crops, you are more likely to find good gardening soil.

• 3onthetree
    last year

Really @YouTube's Mountain Home Rookies? The OP is not going to reroof her entire tract home, she hasn't even closed on, with metal. I know you're trying to get clicks for $$, but your constant shilling of your Youtube channel is putting you in line with a scammer and losing any credibility.

Verna Lee thanked 3onthetree
  • Olychick
    last year

Flag Rookies post as spam. I did but it needs another report to remove it.

• strawchicago z5
    last year

littlebug Zone 5 Missouri Thank you for the info. of soil in MO. Gardening is my hobby and it's important for me. Cigna insurance company is located in St. Louis, and that's where my daughter will apply for an actuary job (hybrid-remote). The pic. of St. Louis criss-cross highways really scare me, same with its high crime rate.

last year

Your last sentence, @strawchicago z5, hit the nail on the head.

Good luck to your daughter.

Verna Lee thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • strawchicago z5
    last year

Verna Lee I look over your pics. of uneven shingles the second time. That's very common in my 400+ houses newly built complex (back in 2000 to 2001). All the houses that had their shingles put down in fluctuating temp. had shingles that were NOT flat and looked like they were ready to pop out.

Back in 2001, I asked the builder about those "not flat-shingles" houses and they told me those shingles will flatten out and "even out" with summer heat. All of those "uneven shingles" did flatten down with time.

If your shingles got blown off completely by wind, then it's the builder's job to replace them FOR FREE, within 1 year of builder-warranty.

Verna Lee thanked strawchicago z5
  • elcieg
    last year

"They agreed to replace the damaged shingles after seeing my inspection report a few months ago." This was the inspection you had as part of moving on to P & S? Toll Bros did not replace roof? So, walk away right after you hire a real estate attorney.

Home purchase contracts usually come with an inspection contingency clause that states the property in question must either pass the inspection, or that the seller must agree to make repairs. If your seller refuses, you have the right to walk away without financial penalty, and any earnest money you may have put down should be returned to you.

Verna Lee thanked elcieg
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

DXon't close until this matter is resolved . Where I live that is your recourse for sure but you need some bckup to give credence to the compalint. So get an independant inspector to check it out.

Verna Lee thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Katherine Canon
    last year

Reslove it without lawyers but if not do so if it fails inspection if they refuse.

Verna Lee thanked Katherine Canon
  • PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    last year

New home purchase contracts most  likely don't have inspection contingencies as these are builder written, not typical Realtor contracts.

Verna Lee thanked Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
  • elcieg
    last year

Buyers should definitely not assume that their new home will be flawless just because it is new construction. OP already has a concern with the Toll Bros and their bad reputation precedes them. Spending hundreds of thousands of dollars without an inspection and walk through is careless, at best. And then there are the lenders, who will get an appraisal, necessary to protect their interests.

If the lenders say "no" there is no recourse until all issues are fixed to their satisfaction.

Verna Lee thanked elcieg