Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_garborg

I have maple in my LL, can I put vinyl on my stairs and upper level?

I have hardwood maple whitewash in my living & dinning room, white tile in my entry and kitchen, can i introduce a different vinyl floor on the stairs (up and down) and continue it into the bedrooms upstairs? It's winter white, so i whiter floor than the maple. OR should I continue wiht the maple on the stairs and do carpet in the bedrooms? I need to know for resale, what are people wanting, i believe the trend is vinyl but i'd have to introduce a differnt 'faux wood' and different color. It won't match the existing maple. I couldn't find any faux maple vinyl that matched existing. This is a high end home so i dont' want to make a major design error but just updating enough to sell. Any advice is so aprreciated.

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

IMO the stairs should be the same flooring as the main floor then if you want to change you do that where it is not visible from the entry . What do you have now for bedroom flooring and the hallways?

Jennifer Garborg thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Jennifer Garborg
    Original Author
    last year

I have carpet up the stairs and into the bedrooms. The stairs are not visible from the entry but are visible from the dinning room and kitchen so you'd see both mismatched floors.

• Jennifer Garborg
    Original Author
    last year

My husband wants the vinyl but i want the maple with carpet and i think it makes more sense to continue the maple instead of introduce new floor.

• kandrewspa
    last year

You don't need to tell us, but ask yourself which price point your house is at. Low, mid or upper? Is vinyl indeed popular where you live? I think some regional preferences exist. It isn't where I live except at the lower price points. I am at the mid price point and I have vinyl in my basement, but wood on the first floor and carpet on the second floor, which is pretty standard. The stairs from the first to second floor are uncovered wood. Anytime you put vinyl next to wood it will look extra fake. So I agree with @ptreckel. It is always expensive to do stairs, but wood on stairs is classic and durable. It will still be there in 50 years and can be refinished when it looks worn or you want to change the color.

• cpartist
    last year

I have carpet up the stairs and into the bedrooms. The stairs are not visible from the entry but are visible from the dinning room and kitchen so you'd see both mismatched floors.

So you already see 2 different floors from the dining room and kitchen and now you want to add a third cheaper floor going up the stairs? In a high end neighborhood?

Do the hardwood especially since it's seen from the dining room and kitchen. Do not introduce another element.

If you do hardwood, can you match the wood downstairs?

• cpartist
    last year

My husband wants the vinyl but i want the maple with carpet and i think it makes more sense to continue the maple instead of introduce new floor.

Well if I were looking to buy a home and saw 4 different floors; tile, carpet in bedrooms, vinyl on stairs and upstairs hall and wood downstairs, I'd be figuring out how much it would cost me to make all floors the same and I'd be lowering my bid to take that into account.

Of course if you're one of the few areas where houses are still selling the minute they hit the market, do whatever you want, but most areas now, with higher interest rates are sitting longer and what your husband is proposing would be a negative. Especially in a high end neighborhood.

• la_la Girl
    last year

Good advice above - the fewer changes in flooring the better. if i could not swing hardwood stairs to match the lower level then I would be tempted just to replace the carpet

• Jennifer Garborg
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all for your advice, now on to convince hubs! Ha!

• Jennifer Garborg
    Original Author
    last year

I didn’t know I could add pics!! So here is my porch, that is the flooring hubs wants upstairs. It’s CoreTek winter white. Then there is the Dinning room in maple, then are the ugly stairs with one carpet color up and another going down, like this when I moved in.

Hubs still thinks we should do the LVP.

• Jennifer Garborg
    Original Author
    last year

Here is sunken living room. You don’t see the stairs from the front door.

• cpartist
    last year

Hubs still thinks we should do the LVP.

Hubs is 1000% wrong. Tell him to stick to things he's good at. Obviously design is not one of them. Sorry. ;)