Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_45052810

Is high steep(About 70 degree) lot in downtown worth it?

Sarki Amada
11 months ago

Navigating the labyrinth of real estate can be a formidable journey, fraught with pitfalls, but also rich with potential rewards. My recent voyage into this world has brought me face to face with an enticing challenge, a lot located in the heart of downtown. It comes with a price tag that defies the norms of real estate in the city and, like a mysterious puzzle waiting to be solved, I am drawn to its potential.

In this bustling city, a decent 3-4 bedroom house with a single to two bathrooms generally requires a hearty investment of around $450,000. A vacant lot, on the other hand, commands a price of $400,000. It's against this backdrop of hefty figures that I chanced upon a gem - a sprawling 930 sqm lot, all for the jaw-dropping price of $170,000. It sat there, in downtown, astonishingly untouched. No clamouring buyers, no bidding wars, just a steep, sloping piece of land with an unbeatable view.

My curiosity piqued, I set out to inspect the lot with my realtor. The spectacle that met us was a sight to behold. A steep slope greeted us, plunging down at a 75-degree angle, descending a good 2-3 meters within the first few steps. Then it continued its daring descent, this time at a slightly gentler slope of around 65 degrees, for another 24 meters. The bottom of the slope held an array of shops, mechanic workshops, and offices.

The lot, despite its steep incline, boasted an incredible view - downtown to the right, the city's famous river straight ahead. It was a diamond in the rough, and I was determined to polish it.

I approached the city council with an idea of converting the lot into a multifamily residence. I was met with resistance. The council cited the steepness of the lot, emphasizing the challenges associated with constructing on a slope exceeding 35 degrees. The probability of approval seemed dismal, hinging on a comprehensive research proposal demonstrating how I could overcome the steepness to construct a multifamily residence.

Even my realtor had reservations, dissuading me from the purchase. But the potential of this lot invades my thoughts, waking and sleeping. I pore over research, devising strategies to win the council's approval. The questions persist:

1. Is it worth the investment, and the subsequent risks and challenges?
  2. Should I make the case to the council for a multifamily dwelling, or accept the restrictions and proceed with a single-family home?
  3. Should I simply build a single-family home, potentially foregoing the lucrative opportunity for rental income from a multifamily setup?
  4. Considering the steepness of the slope, what budget should I anticipate and what challenges should I be prepared for?

I am standing on the edge of this steep slope, staring at an opportunity that others have overlooked. Now, I seek the wisdom and experiences of others as I decide whether to tread down this uncertain path.

Comments (39)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    11 months ago

The view is awesome but you will need an architect to even begin this journey and I live on a piece with slopes on 3 sides of my home and landscaping is alsmost impossible but we love the house and the view. I think worth having it checked out for but I am pretty sure the house will cost more than 450K to build for sure and IMO being a landlord is never ideal

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    11 months ago

Consult with a local architect that can help take in the myriad of factors that effect your decision. What you save in purchase price may be spent in engineering and construction.

• Sarki Amada
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@Patricia Colwell Consulting Yeah the view is awesome, I have budgeted around $450-600 to build, but my dream is to to build like multiple townhouses which is going to cost even more so that i can sell the rest or rent it out. Building a single family house too is not not bad, but i just... sigh... I asked an architect to design proof of concept for me

• Sarki Amada
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@Mark Bischak, Architect Spending it on construction is not the issue, but would it be worth it. As the location is prime, and view is top notch, does the risk outweigh the benefit

• Sarki Amada
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@Charles Ross Homes thanks for your input, my realtor consulted with one of his builder, they kinda said that the foundation alone would take up major percentage of the budget. How much do you think i might likely spend for the foundation of a singly family house or a multifamily? Geo-engineer is a must and that medic to check my sanity because it seems like i got charmed by the lot.

• Jj J
    11 months ago

Engineering/geological study?

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    11 months ago

The old adage "all real estate is local" applies equally well to construction costs. You need to check with local professionals about cost and feasibility.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    11 months ago

You might want to determine the feasibility of insuring anything placed on the property.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    11 months ago

If you are going to base your decision on advice from people that have read a couple paragraphs and seen a few pictures about the site, perhaps you should pass.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    11 months ago

Rule of thumb with view lots

Value of great lots, less asking price of this lot is usually less than the cost to make it great.

Examples of what I hear often: "This lot is only $200K but the others are $500K. What a bargain"

Me: " there is more than $300K worth of grading, retaining walls, special foundation work needed to make this lot viable.

Sometimes there are exceptions, this isn't it.

Need at least a seven figure budget.

• Kate
    11 months ago

Unless you have very deep pockets to cover all the unknowns, sounds risky. What are the values of neighboring properties?

• chispa
    11 months ago

The main road, train tracks and commercial businesses in your backyard do not make up for any views you might have. Sound will travel up the hill/slope day and night, making any outdoor space unpleasant. Make sure you also include in your budget using the best windows available, to stop all that noise from also coming into the house.

• areyano_cs
    11 months ago

All of the comments are valid and should be considered! I notice that there are two other properties on the street that look like single family homes, perhaps a conversation with the residents would be valuable to gain the pros and cons of actually living on that site. Additionally, is it zoned for multi-family homes?

• Kendrah
    11 months ago

Can you built just on the upper third of the lot as the home to the left of the lot has done? If you want rental make it a duplex unit - either side by side or upstairs/downstairs. Yes, the other 2/3rds of the lot will remain vacant but you 1. Get your views; 2. Risk will be a lot less so insurance, engineering, construction costs will be less too; and 3. City council may be more likely to approve - that is unless one of the council members owns the house across the street whose view you will be blocking.

Where is this located? What is erosion like? Any earthquake or climate change risks of note?

• User
    11 months ago

Your budget is viable for the engineering studies, plans, fights with the city, and some beginning engineering response to the site. To finish the engineering, and completely build a home after than though? No, that isn't a realistic budget given the challenges of the site.

• worthy
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Methinks you're not in the Hollywood Hills, where unlimited egos and budgets to match make such builds feasible.

Edwin Castro $25.5m house in the Hollywood Hills Source: Dirt Roman James, Design/Build

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    11 months ago

What Mark said. This is going to require an architect , soil experts, and a structural engineer. And I would bet you'd spend at least $1 million on the build. And the fact that the lot overlooks an industrial area probably accounts for the lower price, regardless of the view.

So, in all, I think you're better off finding a more expensive lot that's easier to build on.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    11 months ago

I could be wrong, but the neighbor at the bottom of the slope may have caused the erosion to the site in question in the construction of their building and revisions they made to their site; and the row of shipping containers in the parking lot could be part of a creative retaining wall system.

• cpartist
    11 months ago

There is absolutely nothing attractive about that site with the view down the mountain. There's a reason it's so cheap. When buying remember the three rules:

• rockybird
    11 months ago

Is it zoned for multifamily? What are the setbacks? The lot does not look very big? Is this considered a hillside lot with more rigid ordinances? I think cost would be very expensive, much more than your budget. We have single family homes being built into the sides of the mountain where I live and the construction budgets are in the multi millions for one home. I would also be worried about sound travel from the road below. The erosion would concern me The close proximety of the neighbor below would also worry me. If you find anything out from your architect, let us know!!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    11 months ago

There are ways, of course, to design a house to fit the site . . .

Sturges House by Frank Lloyd Wright

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    11 months ago

Now that Robert Silman has passed away, I wonder who's on call to remedy Frank's structural errors and omissions.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    11 months ago

It may be a black hole.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    11 months ago

Or a blockbuster movie entitled "Righting the Wright Stuff."

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    11 months ago

Often what is needed is finding bedrock to build the foundstion and at least double the budget for sure /IMO the view is awesome and you could build something that gave you the better view from a weel planned and designed house but deep pockets are needed for even a single family home .

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    11 months ago

In your area, do you have heavy rains and/or earthquakes...? If you can find a geotechnical engineer, ask her/him the cost to stabilize the entire hillside...then pour yourself a large glass of wine and enjoy it while congratulating yourself on not buying that property...

• chicagoans
    11 months ago

Have you visited the site during and after a long, hard rain? It sure looks like erosion and water management would be big concerns.

• elcieg
    11 months ago

I see snow. Don't buy it.

• rwiegand
    11 months ago

My brother's house is on a similar lot, with a three bridge view looking out at the Golden Gate. I can understand why someone did it, but the house verges on unlivable, with basically one room on each floor, extending five stories down the side of the cliff. The person who built it lost their shirt on resale. It was a couple million worth of engineering and foundation work alone and sold for a small fraction of what went into it. Unless you have a *lot* of spare cash that you don't ever need back I'd file it with the unfulfilled dreams. You can probably rent a vacation house with a spectacular view for a month every year for the rest of your life and come out ahead financially.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    11 months ago

I've never read a post in this forum with such lyrical prose. You should try your hand at writing novels. But...you keep asking whether or not it is "worth" it. The only person that can answer that is you, certainly not people here who are only looking at photos and have no idea what the construction costs would be.

• ker9
    11 months ago

I think you are blinded by your fantasy idea and have completely missed the surrounding negatives.

• Kendrah
    11 months ago

@Charles Ross Homes I'm cheering your comment. My feelings exactly. I know most people go gaga over him, but I curse his name. Arrogant shmuck who didn't give a hoot about engineering. Sure, anyone can contrive a cool design if they don't care whether it has any structural integrity.

• worthy
    11 months ago

Here's a luxe home not far from us built on a slope one-third as vertiginous. Five levels containing six bedrooms, 11 baths and an elevator, natch.

As I watched the foundation going in, all I could think was, "What a lot of concrete!"

• B.
    11 months ago

You might want to find out more about the person who is selling this plot. Maybe they went through what you are planning to go through and realize it was not possible. They obviously won't tell you, a potential suc..I mean buyer, but the neighbors might know, heck if you call the architectures firms in town, they might be one who already worked on that project. Good luck with it all, and be sure to let us know if you should decide to purchase, we all want to be on that journey with you!

• ci_lantro
    11 months ago

Looks like one wildfire and a monsoon away from disaster.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    11 months ago

I have made a very nice living doing projects my competitiors said "Can't be done." More rewarding than the financial is the ego boost; nearly addictive. If you can do that here, it will be amazing.

Someone ahead of you paid too much for that lot or it would be sold. Don't trade places with him please. After consulting with the appropriate professionals, I'd ask the seller to take his inevitable beating to make the project viable. He may be looking forward to the relief afterward. All the naysayers here are working in your favor.

• ci_lantro
    11 months ago

I would make sure that whatever you build is insurable and check with the property owner below to see if they plan getting legal to prevent a build on that lot. I anticipate that the owner below will have big concerns about that cliff being further destabilized.

• kevin9408
    11 months ago

Any Common sense should steer you away from this money pit that will bury you and the people down hill, and concentrate finding another manageable money pit with a chance you could dig out of. Toxic waste dump and nuclear testing site could be an alternative.