Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jcf079

parking situation

jcf079
10 months ago

so a house i love and want to purchase has zero parking. it is cottage style next to house on corner. there is one parking pad in front yard off of busy street. the back has an alley and small back yard with little to no option of creating parking. what are your thoughts on options.

Comments (25)

• sushipup2
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

I'd pass on a house with no parking. In our general area, there are homes on busy streets with no street parking, just a driveway. Again, a no for me. Look at resale factors, and lack of parking will be a hard no for many people.

• eld6161
    10 months ago

I agree with sushi. One important perk of owning a home is to not about parking.

I'm not a fan of busy streets.

Keep looking.

• Olychick
    10 months ago

It's very cute but more of a worry to me would be living on a busy street. That, plus on- street parking on a busy street can be problematic

• cat_ky
    10 months ago

I would keep looking. Lack of parking would be a deal breaker.

• tracefloyd
    10 months ago

Location location, right? The price will always be depressed due to factors such as street frontage but you're hopefully getting a deal because of it. Depends on how long you plan to live there and how bugged you will be. If buyers would kill to live in this neighborhood, the steet frontage wouldn't stop them from buying to get a foot in. I live in CA so a lot of demand for certain areas.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    10 months ago

It depends on your life, the weather, and what transport options you have. Living without a driveway or parking spot is a reality for many people, and they manage just fine and love their homes. Some don't even own a car, and only rent one for specific needs......Can you be one of those people? Only you know for sure.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 months ago

A good house is very hard to find. You have to be more creative in solving your parking situation.

You have an alley. Can't you create a parking space accessed from the alley? You're not really showing us the conditions of the yard and alley in your photos.

You can always have a parking pad/driveway with pavers that have grass inserted.

• sushipup2
    10 months ago

I'll amend my statement. If the house is in a very desirable area, or a block to the beach, or everyone else has the same situation, that's different. I like the back yard parking idea. I personally would not want the situation.

• kudzu9
    10 months ago

In my experience, a busy street is just going to get worse. I moved from a house in a very nice neighborhood which had been super quiet when I bought it, and totally busy and annoying when I bailed. I would never live on a busy street again no matter house cute a house was.

• gigi4321
    10 months ago

Is the street parking specifically for that house or can others park there as well? Is there enough room in the back yard to park a car parallel with the house and then build a fence so that the yard is fenced with the car on the alley side? It's a cute house, Beverlys options would help with the visual.

• Olychick
    10 months ago

I think it depends on how you would use the yard. If you have kids that will want a yard to play in, then parking in that small area would make that pretty impossible. If not, Beverly's ideas look great, if you don't mind living on a busy street. If you have lots of guests, how will parking on the street be for them. Is it a safe area where your cars on the street won't be broken into (or your guests' cars)?

• ShadyWillowFarm
    10 months ago

Can you extend the front or rear parking pads? The house is really cute, and if you can park a couple cars, maybe it would be worth it?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 months ago

We lived where there was no parking pad on a busy corner lot and as a neighborhood group we had parking permits 2 per household and when someone was having a party we all dealt with it and it worked just fine. I loved my house enough to deal with the parking issue

• Kendrah
    10 months ago

I have only ever lived in cities and rented and owned apartments and houses where there is no parking so for me this is totally normal and not a deal breaker. But, I have a method of judging the situation - visit the house at all times of day and on weekdays and weekends and try to park your car on the street. Are there parking regulations? Is it hard to find a parking spot? Do you feel safe walking from wherever you'd park your car to your house? If you had a few people over for dinner, would they have a hard time parking?

Use these questions to assess the situation. If street parking is impossible then rethink. Then weight the house, what you love about it, and the lifestyle choices you have to make of not having a parking space. Yes, I can see that you could park a car in front of the house on the right. How sad it would be to ruin the view of the front of this beautiful house by parking a car there.

• AnnKH
    10 months ago

Kendrah has great advice. My daughter lives in Pittsburgh, where street parking is the norm. Look a block or two away from the house - my daughter's last apartment was a block from a church, so during worship times parking nearby was impossible.

Assessing the neighborhood at different times of day is also wise, not just for parking, but to get a sense of the neighborhood. Actually meeting neighbors would be even better.

• PRO
    AiFL
    10 months ago

I live on a pretty busy street, no driveways, no garages, no parking pads, everyone parks on the street and it’s never been an issue. Church on the corner so Sunday mornings can get crowded but still, it’s not so much of an inconvenience that I wouldn’t want to live here.

• arcy_gw
    10 months ago

What's your goal with a home? Many these days don't care for the maintenance a yard brings. I want to see the alley/back yard situation better. The deck is nice, the yard looks a bit messy so is there room to put a cement parking pad accessed from the alley in the back? The green space will shrink, but you gain off street parking. It will increase your home value--people want off street parking more often than not. What your first pic shows is a driveway approach with no driveway. It's placement is very odd. It's not a parking pad.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    10 months ago

You can parallel park on the front pad.

• auntthelma
    10 months ago

Any reason you cant convert the lawn to the right (looking at the house) into a driveway/parking pad?

• elcieg
    10 months ago

Harvard Square....busy,busy, busy and rarely does any parking come with a condo. We managed for 12 years, but we located a space, off street, we could rent. We didn't entertain as there was no room for guest parking.

Is that parking space yours? Should someone park there, could you, legally, have it towed?

IMO, if you like the house and considering purchasing, as long as the house fits your family's needs, location is good, and that space is yours to park, go ahead. What is important is you, the owner, can park.

Great back yard and great windows for light and the deck has great possibilities.

Ask if a small shed can go in the back yard...extra storage of out side equipment.

• Louise Smith
    10 months ago

It's not uncommon in England for the front of the house to be paved over for parking. Gardens in the back. Cars in the front!

Top 30 Small Front Garden Ideas with Parking - HDI-UK (homedecorideas.uk)

• sushipup2
    10 months ago

Louise, that might not be possible in many areas of the US because of local codes.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 months ago

So the poster has taken a powder after all our hard work.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    10 months ago

Hopefully the OP will return. Parking is relative - here where I live in a midwestern small town, street parking is frowned upon as everyone has driveways and most have garages and carports. What’s the norm where this house is located? What are you used to?

I’d like a pencil sketch showing the house on its lot along with the alley so we could brainstorm parking ideas for the alley and/or backyard.