Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a_russsell

I would like Polygala vulgaris aka Common Milkwort

Art Wood - SE UK
10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

I've wanted this plant a long time, I mean years, but never been able to find it or its seed's apart from in the wild. Its featured in many lists as being attractive

Comments (18)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 months ago

in case you are willing to pay for it: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Polygala+vulgaris+price&t=ffab&ia=web

if not.. good luck

Art Wood - SE UK thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • Art Wood - SE UK
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thank you ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5, but I only see Polygaqla Vulgaris at one source and its in Canada and I'm in the UK. I dont see how to order it on that page even if they would send it.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 months ago

I'm trying to imagine a situation where it would be happy in a garden. Or do you have wild area with short grasses and well drained soil? It's so tiny I would imagine it is hard to place in a cultivated situation. Maybe in an alpine pan? I think you are going to have to collect seed in the wild. I don't see any sources here in the UK. This one is in Czechia, but since the B. debacle I don't know what the rules would be for buying from them. Small plants N-R | wild flower seeds

p.s. you need to give your geographical location when posting because most people on this site are in N America and respond accordingly to questions

• Art Wood - SE UK
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thank you flora_uk. Yes I have seen it, and I would go out to look for it, my notebook tells me where I saw it. But I have lost the mobility to walk any distance.
    Yes it may well be in pans with me. I find the small delightful.

And thank you for the location advice

That site you linked too, I have an email winging its way there as we speak.

Art

• rosaprimula
    10 months ago

OMG - me too. Almost tempted to plead. I get quite a lot of seeds from Jellito and B&T World seeds - as they are for personal use, you don't need an EORI number. Definitely worth a punt.

Not certain how much to thank you, here, Floral (iykwim(

• rosaprimula
    10 months ago

I got a lovely reply from Michel - yes, of course he can send me seeds! I expect to spend the entire evening, salivating and list-making. Thank you v.much, Floral and heya, Art, good news for us too.

• Art Wood - SE UK
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Indeed so. Something I want to ask, does Floral_UK also see our posts here ? It would be nice if she knew how we appreciate her.. Or need i send a person to person msg ?

I spent some time a couple of years ago looking for seeds to sow, I ended up with 80 packets. I made a new heated frame to take 80 x 10cm pots. Only about half germinated, and that's taking into account second sowings I made. three or four later germinated without heat on another bench.

Anyway, I now try to limit myself to only seeds of those plants that I have seen in person as some of those I bought from internet images only failed to impress.

I managed to keep my resolve and only the one packet this time. But I have a problem with that atm. I have never used to pay with PayPal unless being presented with the bill, I need to look up how its done.

Take care

Art

• rosaprimula
    10 months ago

Yep, she can see our comments (and hopefully feel fully appreciated...from me - and now you, most definitely)

Art Wood - SE UK thanked rosaprimula
  • Art Wood - SE UK
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I have looked at seeds online for a long time but never knew of the sites the two of you show me.

• Art Wood - SE UK
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Just to let you know, the seeds from M Rejzek that I ordered have arrived.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 months ago

I see the posts but I am not set up for private messages.

Good luck with your seeds.

Art Wood - SE UK thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • Art Wood - SE UK
    Original Author
    9 months ago

I am glad you see how appreciated you are.

As to the seeds, so how should I proceed do you think, As Michal and many say, II to IV just covered in sand/compost after having had them at +5'c , or as the chap at Plant World say's, and I begin to believe in him, " We sow most seeds in an unheated greenhouse and wait for natural germination, as many seeds have built-in dormancy mechanisms, often waiting for natural spring germination, or even more than one season, hence giving them a full season of growth.". Or the baggy method. For which those seeds that don't need specific temperature outside of room temperature, put them in the bag and then sellotape the bag to my mirror. Its so much easier to keep and eye on them. if they need the dark then in one of my desk drawers. In fact I'll do it more than one way.

• rosaprimula
    9 months ago

Yep, I sow my seeds as soon as I have them - either self-collected, swapped or bought. I can't really see that it matters too much because plants have to grow under the conditions I can offer...which is mostly, place in soil, water, wait. Tbf, I do have some fails but I just don't want to get stuck with growing tricky and demanding plants. I don't tend to berate myself for germination fails, but definitely feel bad if plants gallantly germinate, then fail because I am too inconsistent or they need more/less light, water, fuss than I can easily offer.

This year, for the first time, I did actually do a formal fridge stratification...but think I would have had exactly the same results if I had simply put them in the greenhouse and left them alone to get on with it. I sowed around 80 or so seed varieties, with 5 no shows (including relatively trouble free ones such as echinacea) No sign of anisodontea, cyclamen, schizachrium and 1 I have forgotten, while 2 of my apiaceae germinated, but turned up their toes (heptaptera and a selinum). I tend to go along with Ray Brown's advice at PlantWorld too...but I have also bought a couple of Gold Nugget seeds from Jelitto which have been treated to avoid cold stratification. I think my fails happened because I had seed arrive in January and the natural winter stratification in my greenhouse was not long enough (cyclamen and clematis), so I will keep the pots for another long cycle of natural winter chilling.

I never use heated propagators, extra lighting or chemicals. I may scuff the seeds up if they have a recalcitrant seedcoat...or even do a water soak (but rarely). The worst that happens is certain plants which need both heat and a long season (such as thunbergias, cobaens, ipomea) take so long to get going that frost arrives before I see a single bloom. Doesn't matter with most perennials, but those which tend to act as annuals (in my climate) tend to be a bit of a wash-out.

• Art Wood - SE UK
    Original Author
    9 months ago

And then there is the information that " Seed Germination Theory and Practice by Norman C. Deno " gives us. But not for Polygala vulgaris specifically

• rosaprimula
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

I seem to be having an intensely blue period cos all the seeds on order are gentians, campanulas , centaureas, edraianthos (sp?) and pulsatilla...O, and convolvulous, ranunculus and potentilla. I will do another order later in the year but all the ones I have sent for need immediate sowing or a long stratification. I seem to recall Jay having tried polygala sp. Perhaps he will chime in with his experiences.

I also found Seedsite to be helpful, particularly for the pics of germinating seedlings.

• rosaprimula
    9 months ago

And another site I have ordered from, Art - Botanically Inclined Ca over in california. Not a huge inventory but always worth a look...and,as a bonus, he keeps a seed library - magnified pics of seeds and some useful germination tips.

Have you sowed your polygala.

Paypal is super easy if sending to someone who has an account - just need an email address.

I am already in deep trouble. No room anywhere. The greenhouse is usually empty in summer (apart from tomatoes) but not this year. Too, too many seeds and cuttings and not sure where they are going to go. Building hypertufa troughs as a last resort for the Czech seeds and a heap of other tiny plants (I also love the small things).

• Art Wood - SE UK
    Original Author
    8 months ago

I knew I had a site of seeds and seedlings, but i forgot the name until now. And its so obvious !

http://www.theseedsite.co.uk/seedlings.html

Art