Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nrlewis81

Help with updating Kitchen for Sale of home

Nan Smith
9 months ago

We are preparing for selling our house. We have a center hall colonial in an area with higher end home $1M+ and most comps have newer kitchens. We have beige cabinets with granite that looks dated. The cabinets are good quality, solid wood, hand painted - so we would like to leave them as is but refresh the look by replacing the granite with quartz. See attached photos - the color of the cabinet is best represented by the photo with with range and refrigerator. Need help from the experts both design Pros and Real Estate stagers- my questions are:

1. Will white quartz work well with the beige cabinets? We are consider Silestone Calcutta Gold countertop keeping our beige cabinets.

2. If we replace the countertops should we replace the backsplash?

3. Should we update the faucet?

4. Should we eliminate the bar height countertop separating the kitchen from the family room and bring the height down to countertop height?

5. Should we eliminate the desk and cabinet above - I have seen many articles that desks in kitchens are a thing of the past.

6. Should we replace the Kitchen Cabinet Hardware?

Appreciate the help!

Comments (33)

• sushipup2
    9 months ago

Unless there is a glut of unsold homes on the market in your area, do nothing. It's lovely as it is, let the buyer do what they wish.

Nan Smith thanked sushipup2
  • marmiegard_z7b
    9 months ago

Not a pro. Just a homeowner who’s not a DIY and struggles with refreshing/ remodeling choices.

That sounds kind a lot of work, whilst still not a full Reno which would cost huge $$ & time and not at all guaranteed to meet a particular buyer’s taste. And the kitchen looks pretty good.

Have you talked with your local agent? Though I admit I don’t trust agents to get you the best value, vs are at risk to encourage you to spend your money which might help agent sell faster, & they don’t care what you spent up front.

Then you’ve to find contractors , materials, monitor quality, paint or repairs after work is done.

So my bias is to figure the appropriate listing price for not- updated kitchen, but do all other cleaning, decluttering , possibly painting walls of other rooms if they look dark of dingey.

Nan Smith thanked marmiegard_z7b
  • artemis78
    9 months ago

I would leave it as is. The granite works with the current cabinets, and to have cabinets that work well with a more modern counter, you'd need to reface and repaint them, which is a big undertaking. Just putting quartz in on its own is likely to look somewhat out of place with the style of your kitchen, and will highlight the older cabinetry style, even if you swap out the hardware. Just clean it well, make sure everything works, and price accordingly.

Nan Smith thanked artemis78
  • nelliebean
    9 months ago

Another vote for leaving the kitchen alone. It looks great as is.

Nan Smith thanked nelliebean
  • Jenny
    9 months ago

Definitely have a good conversation with your realtor. Ours told us that at that price point the home buyer is going to come in and put in their own new kitchen anyway, just have it be presentable and in good repair.

Nan Smith thanked Jenny
  • anna_682
    9 months ago

Adding quartz is not going to solve the "dated" problem. The cabinets work with the granite. I would leave it as is.

Nan Smith thanked anna_682
  • just_janni
    9 months ago

The cabinets will drive the buyer's ultimate decision on the kitchen. If they like them, they will like the granite you have now (it works, it's lovely). If they don't - no matter what else you have done - they will tear them out and do a full on update.

Save your money - offer an allowance / negotiate.

Nan Smith thanked just_janni
  • KW PNW Z8
    9 months ago

I’m in total agreement with the crowd here - leave it alone! If the rest of your home is as clean and uncluttered as this lovely kitchen a sale will happen quickly. Especially if the location is a nice neigborhood. I really doubt you’d recoup $$ spent on a redo if you’re selling soon. We did replace granite with quartz, lowered a large high bar on island to counter level, new dishwasher, sink & faucet, replaced backsplash - this was 3 years ago - took 3 months & $30K + in my area. My kitchen is smaller than yours. We did it for us so worth every penny. For you to help a sale - don’t do it!!

Nan Smith thanked KW PNW Z8
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 months ago

Yep, leave it alone! It is very nice as-is.

• RoyHobbs
    9 months ago

When I read the OP, it sounds like from a different time, when you needed to improve your home to sell it, and you hoped that it would sell within a few months. Now homes sell in a few days, even decrepit ones (which yours is most certainly not). The single-home market is low on inventory in most of the U.S. (though not all). In my area, I see $1.5M+ homes with kitchens and bathrooms from 1980s and they go under contract almost immediately. I would not do any changes to that kitchen.

Nan Smith thanked RoyHobbs
  • Anne Duke
    9 months ago

I would not touch that kitchen for resale, at least where I live in California. Just repair any damage.

Nan Smith thanked Anne Duke
  • herbflavor
    9 months ago

Anyone interested in a home w a kitchen like yours will have strong feelings about the next life of the space. respect the integrity of what is there and the ability of a buyer to make correct choices for themselves.

Nan Smith thanked herbflavor
  • RedRyder
    9 months ago

I agree to leave it alone. Your house being uncluttered and clean is more important (and it already is). Don’t “update” for some unknown buyer.

Your realtor should be a resource around this. Your market may be hot enough that everything is selling fast. Some markets are cooling due to the higher interest rates, but not in the $1million market.

Take down photos and personal stuff, keep everything spotless and uncluttered and you will sell quickly. Your kitchen is quite lovely.

Nan Smith thanked RedRyder
  • Iluvdark kychns
    9 months ago

Not a stager or pro, but went through this last year. My agent told me to leave everything as is other than minor changes (and my kitchen was not as nice). I did completely move out and hired a stager for $3500 and worth every penny. I would remove the red drapes though. In fact, would do no drapes. Can leave the rod. Also I think the dining table and chairs leans to heavily into that ornamentation style. For some reason it doesn't sit well with me. And looks dark fir the space. This is where a stager can really help you.

Nan Smith thanked Iluvdark kychns
  • M Miller
    9 months ago

I would remove the red drapes though. In fact, would do no drapes. Can leave the rod.

Interesting, I like the red drapes. Adds a punch of color, makes things more cozy and welcoming, yet does not detract from the light or view. Leaving a bare curtain rod would look worse IMO. The table and chairs are fine. I don't think this kitchen needs a stager whatsoever. As said, the sellers market is red-hot. I recently saw a house including the kitchen frozen-in-time in 1966 - and definitely not in a good MCM way - sell for above asking price in 2 days.

Nan Smith thanked M Miller
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 months ago

I also don't think it's needs staging. It's beautiful as-is. It has it's own personality, which shines through and is a good thing.

Nan Smith thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • Jane
    9 months ago

just declutter a bit more.

in the glass cabinets make all the shelves the same heights aligned with the muntins, then organize your glass ware and china so simplify and look cohesive. same with end of counters open shelves. ditch the salt and pepper shakers on the stove. loose the corner china cabinet, take out the two arm chairs to have just four around your table. Add a bowl of fresh Apples on island and flowers on table

Nan Smith thanked Jane
  • deegw
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

I wouldn't do a thing to your kitchen surfaces.

I do agree about the drapes. They look good but some people have the oddest visceral reactions to certain colors and patterns. You're trying to appeal to as many people as possible. It's an easy change.

Nan Smith thanked deegw
  • webuser_ 786635126
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

“just declutter a bit more....in the glass cabinets make all the shelves the same heights aligned with the muntins, then organize your glass ware and china so simplify and look cohesive. same with end of counters open shelves. ditch the salt and pepper shakers on the stove. loose the corner china cabinet“

"I will not buy this house! The cabinet shelves aren't aligned with the muntins!" Said no one ever.

Out of all the posts on Houzz asking about renovating for resale, this is the least cluttered kitchen I have ever seen.

To the OP, your kitchen looks nice. The market is strongly in your favor. You don’t need to change anything.

Nan Smith thanked webuser_ 786635126
  • Missy Bee
    9 months ago

I agree with first poster…your home is a lovely traditional and many people still prefer that. I would suggest you do nothing. If you must, perhaps a backsplash redo….

Nan Smith thanked Missy Bee
  • MizLizzie
    9 months ago

Do not touch it! Other than to declutter as much as possible, which will be very little as your kitchen is tidy — and gorgeous. If anything is dated, it’s the glazed cabinetry but some folks still love and install it. Even the cost of painting those cabinets would exceed the return on investment when the home is sold. As to the granite, no, no, no. I don’t even like granite, and I think that slab is jaw dropping. Unless you live in some really unusual area, your home will sell quickly, do not worry.

Nan Smith thanked MizLizzie
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 months ago

I get calls from realtors regularly with ciients who have a failed reinforcement rod at their sink rail, front or back which shows up as a giant crack. The proper repair is just under 2K or better yet an apron front sink installation, 3-7K. The sellers stupidly balk at putting money into their home to get it sold. I promise the buyer's home inspector isn't going to miss the 1/4" wide 2' long crack in front of the sink.

You'll pay me now, or they'll take the cost of the fix out of your hide at closing which will certainly be more.

Replacing perfectly good countertops to induce a sale is foolish.

• webuser_ 786635126
    9 months ago

Joseph Corlett - your first two paragraphs seem to be dropped into the wrong thread. There is no crack st the OP sink, nor an inspector citing the OP’s non-existent counter crack. Your demand that she pay you now is plain weird. The aggressive wording make me want to apologize to the OP. Only your very last sentence fits the topic. I am guessing you cobbled together two different responses to two different posts.

Nan Smith thanked webuser_ 786635126
  • cat_ky
    9 months ago

I agree with all the others. Do not change anything, just make sure its all in good repair. Its a very nice kitchen just like it is. I also would leave the red drapes. They look nice in there.

Nan Smith thanked cat_ky
  • Missy Bee
    9 months ago

I also like the red drapes.

Nan Smith thanked Missy Bee
  • RedRyder
    9 months ago

Your house is beautiful. Does your realtor have any ideas? Clearly, the Houzz group says leave everything alone.

Where you are affects what you need to do as a seller. Is your market hot in your price range?

Nan Smith thanked RedRyder
  • 3katz4me
    9 months ago

Nice kitchen - as others have said leave it as is. I'm currently looking to buy a resale home and would be very happy to find one with that kitchen. I'm more interested in good quality construction and good condition than the latest trends. There are people who don't want to follow the herd and get a boring room that looks like everyone else's.

Nan Smith thanked 3katz4me
  • Stacey
    8 months ago

I would buy your house with the kitchen as is. Love the colors and layout.

Nan Smith thanked Stacey
  • Louise Smith
    8 months ago

I sold my house with a thirty year old kitchen with only minor updates. The buyer brought her contractor in to see the house and I heard him gasp (sort of) when he saw the kitchen. The buyer told the contractor that it was perfect for her. She could do a total reno and finally get her dream kitchen.

Nan Smith thanked Louise Smith
  • thinkdesignlive
    8 months ago

I am going away from the crowd here - I do think a new simplified backsplash would be money well spent. And I also think a neutral cream drape would be wonderful.

Nan Smith thanked thinkdesignlive
  • nancylouise5me
    8 months ago

I agree with all the others. In this market just leave the kitchen as is. Butttt, if I were to make a suggestion it would be to leave the granite countertops and paint the cabinets. Just the opposite of what you wanted to do, Your kitchen reads very tone on tone to me. No color except for the curtains (leave them).

Nan Smith thanked nancylouise5me
  • cpartist
    8 months ago

Do not do anything other than make sure everything is spotlessly clean.