Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raelynnoleary98

Help identifying an architectural style

Rae O
9 months ago

I just bought a new house in Pittsburgh that was built in 1939. It is a 3-story brick house with a slate roof, and is a very common style of home in the area. Any ideas how this style of house would be characterized?

The ceilings are 8.5ft. on the first floor and 8ft. on the second, and 7.5ft. on the third. There are several french arches inside. The windows are leaded with no frames and marble sills.

Comments (16)

• Rae O
    Original Author
    9 months ago

@palimpsest thank you! Tudor Revival was my guess so far.

• beeboo22
    9 months ago

It’s lovely. Beautiful brick.

Rae O thanked beeboo22
  • palimpsest
    9 months ago

It could also be French Norman Revival. A house of this general form in a development could be the same house underneath with different decorative details added to make the individual houses reflect different styles.

Rae O thanked palimpsest
  • Rae O
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Thank you @beeboo22!

• Rae O
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Thanks @palimpsest. Makes sense!

• P.D. Schlitz
    9 months ago

In an architectural tour of my neighborhood in Minneapolis (similarly filled with 20s/30s-built homes typically described as ‘Tudor revival’), the architect leading the tour said “cottage revival” was the most ‘appropriate’ descriptor for our neighborhood’s homes. He also said the building boom of this style in America was largely the result of returning WWI soldiers who loved the cottage-style homes they were surrounded by in Europe and were building homes for young families on the outskirts of American cities.

A few thoughts for you:

1. we have a neighbor that also has that cool protruding brickwork you have on your facade (they also have a slate roof)— they did some exterior uplighting to accentuate this feature at night and it’s a really cool effect.
    2. I just got done paying a mason to rebuild the upper portion of our chimney. Your masonry looks very sound, but my advice would be to call a mason at the first sign of deteriorating bricks/ mortar on your chimney (or elsewhere) so you can try & avoid more expensive rebuilds!
    3. congrats on the purchase of a beautiful & character-filled home!
    Rae O thanked P.D. Schlitz
  • RedRyder
    9 months ago

Tudor Revival or Adorable Brick Cottage are my guesses….

Rae O thanked RedRyder
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 months ago

Beautiful home!

Rae O thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • AC M
    9 months ago

Your house is so pretty! The wave edged trim boards above the front door, and the scalloped edge board around the bay window don’t seem to fit in with the formality of the rest of the house though. I wonder if a previous owner added those later.

Rae O thanked AC M
  • P.D. Schlitz
    9 months ago

I’m not seeing any “wave-edged trim boards”— are you referring to the stone surround of the front door alcove? And scalloped details were very common with 1920s/1930s Cottage/ Tudor Revivals— our 1928 house has some as well!

Rae O thanked P.D. Schlitz
  • elcieg
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

Tudor Revival, late 20's/early 30's, gable peak is original.

Great read here for you to get to know your house.

https://www.roanokeva.gov/DocumentCenter/View/1475/Architectural-Patterns---Tudor-Revival-PDF

Rae O thanked elcieg
  • palimpsest
    9 months ago

There's wavy siding in the gable and a scalloped frieze board on the bay. Both are very typical of the period, and part of the romantic revival movement. At one time, people wanted their houses to look cute, or charming. Not just as big as they could possibly look.

Rae O thanked palimpsest
  • AC M
    9 months ago

Interesting, the wavy siding maybe more towards the romantic cottage feel. I saw several examples of the period with false thatch roofs in an architecture book I have that’s a good resource. The trim around the entry looks so formal to me, though the door itself is could go either way depending on the look they’re after. At any rate, it’s a great house.

Rae O thanked AC M
  • res2architect
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

It could definitely be Tudor Revival with minimal detailing but the unusually simple eaves and lack of decoration suggest it could be a Colonial Revival based on the Postmedieval English tradition of the earliest colonial houses of the 17th century probably in the southern colonies where brick was more common. That might explain the rough horizontal board siding.

But the oversized cut stone surrounding the recessed doorway doesn't seem to fit that category or the rest of the house.

Rae O thanked res2architect
  • Rae O
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Thanks everyone! All of these comments and suggestions make sense and are very helpful! i love the idea of up lighting to accentuate the brickwork at night. I often see many of the features that were recognized—the wavy siding, scalloped details, and stone around the door—on similar houses on the east end of Pittsburgh. I really appreciate the photos and other resources. Thank you!