Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauren_murray65

Curb appeal help and ideas

Onthemarsh
9 months ago

In the purchasing process of this home. The inside is really great. The outside needs a lot of help in the backyard and curb appeal in the front. The roof is about 6 years old, so it's staying. The stucco is staying but willing to change color. I'm thinking maybe build a new staircase wider. There is a nice size about 10 deep front porch. The home is in the southeast do think tropical, lots of rain and humidity. I'm pro palm trees tropical and not into banana trees tropical. Prefer something low maintenance and stays green year round. Also I like to have something blooming year round camilias, azaleas, gardenias, I like fruit trees as well. The back yard isn't very big (depth) and has a pool that has popped out of the ground. So it needs removed and either filled in or replaced. That's an entirely different project but the entire landscape budget with pool is $65k-$100k. The pool will obviously take most the budget. Just for reference there is a sidewalk up to the stairs from the driveway on the right side of the photo. Thank you for any help or ideas.

Comments (13)

• tracefloyd
    9 months ago

Very nice but the colors are reversed. Shouldn't the stone corners and trim pieces be darker that the siding? The porch detail, posts and lattice would be better dark not white.

Try a nice gray for the stucco and then the same but darker for the trim. Gray is nice with the red roof. Is the house half under cloud cover? Hard to tell what the roof color is but could be my stupid screen.

Plant more shrubs under the horizontal line as done on the right side.

Onthemarsh thanked tracefloyd
  • Sigrid
    9 months ago

I'd paint the stucco a warmer color, probably a warm cream to go with the roof. I'd make a path to the stairs from the driveway. I'd put a large, beautiful tree in the front yard. I think Papayas are lovely and tropical-looking. Place to the tree to either give you some privacy/shade in your windows or to not obstuct the view, depending on what you need/prefer.

• PRO
  • PRO
  • PRO
  • cecily 7A
    9 months ago

Does the home have a handicapped accessible entrance? Those stairs look daunting.

• Onthemarsh
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Wow, thank you for all the input and great ideas! The images are fantastic!! So helpful in me trying to explain the the husband how some landscaping and curb appeal will go a LONG way in the appearance of this house. The roof color is sort of a dark copper color almost brown. About the stairs this home is located near the coast and is raised for flood purposes. The first living floor in this house is about 7 feet from the ground. Its very typical when you live this close to the water. In our location we have to be a minimum of 17feet above sea level. This house doesn't have handicap accessibility. There are homes that have elevators and that may be a possibility for this house, cost is a factor of course and not something we will take on with this project. Those of you that posted visual responses may I ask what software do you use? I love them! Thank you!!

• tracefloyd
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

A lot of houses have stairs to the front door...for many reasons. We do at our house. But I think the idea was to rebuild them at a gentler angle with broader treads. Or maybe a nice ADA ramp for wheeling stuff. We have considered a ramp. Just a concept here but better than an elevator:

• AC M
    9 months ago

This style of house was built by the thousands in Florida in the 60s and 70’s, often referred to as Bermuda Style. Usually painted a pastel color, always had shutters, and the quoining on the walls would have been white. Your columns look a little bit undersized to me, and a slightly wider staircase might be nice, but I think once you’ve landscaped you won’t really notice.
    They are so pretty when painted a cheerful color, and look wonderful with a colorful garden much like it seems you want.
    If you are far enough south, Hibiscus is a fantastic choice. It blooms all year, comes as a bush which you can even grow as a hedge, or as a Standard, for a more formal look. There are an almost unlimited variety of flower shapes, sizes and colors.
    Whatever you do, don’t get talked into Oleander, beautiful but toxic.
    Your house is going to look wonderful when you paint and get the landscaping in.

• floraluk2
    9 months ago

Yes, 0leander is toxic, but you have to eat it or inhale the smoke from it first. It is grown without fuss throughout Southern Europe, and much of the rest of the world, being colourful, evergreen, and drought, salt and pest resistant. You'll even find it being grown around outdoor cafés and nobody is dropping dead over their Cappuccino.

• AC M
    9 months ago

Well, small children put all sorts of things into their mouths….

• floraluk2
    9 months ago

Oleander poisoning is extremely rare and anyway, small children should not be unsupervised outside. Statistically they are far more likely to come to harm from poisons found inside their homes than in the garden. A plethora of beautiful named cultivars prove that Oleander is considered a highly valuable garden subject in much of the world.

Oleander poisoning is very rare and anyway, small children should not be unsupervised outside. Statistically they are far more likely to come to harm from poisons found inside their homes than in the garden. The hundreds of named cultivars of oleander prove that it is considered a highly worthy garden plant.