Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendydown

What would you have charged for this design project?

wendydown
7 months ago

My husband and I purchased this condo and and completely furnished it for a family member who never ended up living in it. We are now selling it and wondering what the value of the design and installation of the furnishings, art, bookcases, soft materials, etc might be. So may I ask, if you're a designer, what price would you have quoted to completely finish an 880 square foot condo like this?

Comments (24)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 months ago

This is aquestion not going to get answers . Wether or not anyone used this stuff it is in a buyers mind used so what a designer charged to do the job does not factor into what you can get out . Are you selling the condo furnished then factor in a price for the furniture into the selling price and be done .

wendydown thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Lomo
    7 months ago

The value of a SERVICE is not going to end up with a PRICE of a widget.

wendydown thanked Lomo
  • deegw
    7 months ago

Are you thinking of adding the price of your time and effort to the condo's list price? It's nicely done but it's unlikely that someone will pay more for this condo than others because of decor unless you are selling it furnished. Even then, you won't come near to recouping anywhere near the cost of the items and you'll get zero for your time and effort.

wendydown thanked deegw
  • palimpsest
    7 months ago

I think you could offer this as furnished or unfurnished but with a significant discount on the cost of the furniture. Because in the current culture this is going to be considered used furniture by most buyers regardless of its condition. The design cost incurred can't be transferred to the buyer. Most people could care less about the process, they only care how it looks. The rare exception would be a design media worthy project by a famous designer sold as a complete package in a market like LA or Manhattan where there is celebrity designer name recognition/cache.

wendydown thanked palimpsest
  • Lyn Nielson
    7 months ago

ask the realtor what the market is for a turn key condo.

Market value if you want it to sell.

wendydown thanked Lyn Nielson
  • Fori
    7 months ago

I might pay extra to see someone open the freezer really fast. :)

But seriously, it's nice enough and maybe you can get a little extra by throwing the furniture into the sale, but I don't think calling it a "design project" adds any value.

wendydown thanked Fori
  • Jane
    7 months ago

just did this exercise in determining market value of a family condo. We talked to two realtors in our area who all had sold similar condos in same area. 3bdrm was 5k for furnishings, 2brm 4k, and one bdrm was 3k - we were told was pretty standard across the board. Most of the comps we looked at were WOW professional designs.. this is waterfront in new england mostly second homes. ask your realtor… but anyone buying a one bedroom primiary residence will need a storage space.

for staging for sale you might want to rework that random room with table against the wall so it has a purpose

wendydown thanked Jane
  • Lindsey_CA
    7 months ago

Why would you hang a painting/photograph in a shower?

wendydown thanked Lindsey_CA
  • Ida Claire
    7 months ago

Glad you've figured it out. It's a lovely condo, but completely impossible for any of us to tell you what the value might be. That's your realtor's job and depends entirely on comps in your area. Best wishes on selling!

wendydown thanked Ida Claire
  • deegw
    7 months ago

There is an upside to a quick, well-priced sale and not having to pack and move the furnishings. It's harder to measure but may be well worth it depending on the circumstances.

wendydown thanked deegw
  • Fori
    7 months ago

I missed the art in the shower. We need more of that!

wendydown thanked Fori
  • Jennz9b
    7 months ago

seems like a realtor question.

wendydown thanked Jennz9b
  • Dawn Martinez
    7 months ago

I don't know where you're located but (in Colorado) typically personal property is separate from real property. Meaning, a real estate deal and sales price, is for the condo, the real property and any other personal property sold with it must be dealt with in the contract separately and paid for separately, unless the value of the personal property is considered de minimis and included.

wendydown thanked Dawn Martinez
  • ilikefriday
    7 months ago

Love the shower art!

wendydown thanked ilikefriday
  • Jilly
    7 months ago

I love the shower art, too, and am now thinking about it for mine. :D

Best of luck, Wendy! You did a really nice job decorating the condo.

wendydown thanked Jilly
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 months ago

Places are sold furnished in Florida all the time.

Sold my house and everything in it when I moved in with my girlfriend. When she threw me out, I bought a condo next door and got all my stuff back. Silverware in the drawers and snacks in the cupboard.

wendydown thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • chicagoans
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

"I might pay extra to see someone open the freezer really fast." I'm wondering if someone can even open the fridge and freezer doors fully (enough to pull out a drawer or shelf for cleaning), and if they can do that without hitting the art or the wall. As a buyer if I couldn't fully open the refrigerator door, then I would factor the cost of a kitchen redesign into my offer. It's a pity because the space is very nice, but on the Kitchens forum quite often people get warned against putting a refrigerator right next to a wall.

wendydown thanked chicagoans
  • Kendrah
    7 months ago

First, you did a gorgeous job. Kudos. It is really wonderful. The market is a complete $%#! show right now so who knows how any of our thinking might apply. However, in general, your hard work will NOT pay off by being able to ask a higher listing price.

Instead, your gain will be in listing it at a reasonable price and having it sell fast because it looks so good. When something sells fast you don't have to keep lowering the price. So in the end you save money, but don't gain money. What you've done essentially is a great staging job. Staging pays off not because you can ask more for it but because it sells faster so you don't have to lower the price while it sits on the market. In the best case scenario you might also improve your changes of multiple offers and start a bidding war.

My neighbors and I had nearly identical row houses that went on the market at almost the same time. They had their house staged and thought they could charge more for the house. I stage my house myself and charged $60k less. Their house sat on the market for three months and the price kept dropping. Mine sold in 24 hours with 4 offers and everyone waived inspection. Our homes ended up selling for the same price.

As for selling it furnished, I would never do that. You want a home to appeal to the largest number of potential buyers. You are really limiting yourself from potential offers if people don't like your furniture. Perhaps there is some way you can say in the listing, furnished offer negotiable. And, I do believe that the poster below is correct that you would negotiate that separate from the cost of the house.

Sadly, you purchased and furnished a home for someone who was not able to use it. This is likely not going to leave you coming out ahead.

wendydown thanked Kendrah
  • elcieg
    7 months ago

Price the condo and have the realtor share with potential buyers that the furnishings are for sale. You bought them, so you know the prices. Take 33% off the price you paid.

wendydown thanked elcieg
  • sushipup2
    7 months ago

It's used furniture, no matter how unused it is. Don't expect to get much.

wendydown thanked sushipup2
  • wendydown
    Original Author
    7 months ago

My eyes have been opened. Thank you all for sharing your experience, ideas and advice. Much appreciated!

• Lola Bojackie
    7 months ago

I would refuse the furniture/decor. I want my own things. :)

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    7 months ago

I think you did an amazing job decorating the condo! It may appeal to a new homeowner who’s not had the time to acquire much of their own that they’re attached to. It’s not a huge space, but you’ve done a great job with it. Someone suggested repurposing the small space that has a cabinet and long table with chairs….that would be a perfect office space for anyone. I know about small spaces…. I basically have a 10X10 kitchen, with two doors and two walls of windows. My refrigerator door is always a challenge to deal with, but for 37 years we’ve done alright. Just my husband and I and a few cats!

Good luck!

debra