Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
micaelala

Anderson Woodwright vs Marvin Elevate

micaelala
4 months ago

We are selecting windows for a custom new build in the Mid-Atlantic and are deciding on traditional look wood windows for a Colonial style home.

We are still waiting on prices from our builder but so far have been quoted $35k for the Anderson Woodwrights and $55k for the Marvin Elevate. Price on Marvin Ultimates are pending but we were told to expect they would be about 20-25% more than the Elevates.

We saw the Marvin Elevates and Ultimates in the showroom and really liked them. We had the opportunity to see an old Woodwright window in a lumber store and they were quite old and dingy so looking forward to seeing them in an Anderson showroom later this week.

We would love to hear feedback about the Marvin vs Anderson windows, specifically how the Elevate and Woodwright compare to each other.

Thank you in advance!

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    4 months ago

Can't go wrong with either as Todd said. Really a matter of personal preference.

• micaelala
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thank you @toddinmn and @windowsomwashingtonltd.

We are looking at double hung six over six windows and hoping for the most “traditional” look in a home we will be in for at least 20 yrs. Ultimates are definitely the best of the three on all accounts and I really liked how substantial they looked even compared to the Elevate.

Is there much of a performance difference between the fiberglass exterior of the Elevate and the fibrex of the Woodwright?

We were initially leaning towards one of the Marvin products if the Ultimate is not an option, do you think the Elevate (quoted at 55k) is “worth” 20k more than the Woodwright (quoted at 35k)?

Trying to get a sense if the Marvins were quotes high or the Andersons were quoted at a lower price than normal. Our contractor works with Anderson a lot and favors the Woodwright.

• millworkman
    4 months ago

I would think the elevate pricing would be much closer to the Woodwrights. Is there another dealer you can get a price from? Both good quality products, but I prefer the Marvin.

• oberon476
    4 months ago

I really like the look of the Woodwright, so from that perspective I would tend to lean that way, but also agree that you need more quotes to see why the huge price difference.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 months ago

I have seen no data that Fibrex is no better or worse than Ultrex when used in a window. Both promote propaganda ehich i condsider irrelevent. I prefer Woodright over the Elevate if you are looking for what a traditional DH window should look like and would pay more for it . The Ultimate has more Tradional looks than the WoodWright , but the Woodright is close. Both companies have very good options for exterior applied factiry moldings that I recommend taking a look at. The Andersen seems to be a tighter window when it comes to air infiltration and more so when you do there Performance Grade upgrade. The last time Andersen published there Air numbers they were around 0.10, never seen Marvin’s but there supposebly about double that. Marvin says they will give you these numbers if you ask the dealer , Andersen no longer will.

If it was my home I would take the Woodwright over the Ultima if it was at the Elevate price and and the Woodwright over the Elevate at the same price. You also get the benefit if builder working with a familar product.

• micaelala
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thanks very much for the feedback @millworkman @oberon476 & @toddinmn ! This information is incredibly helpful!

@toddinmn, our contractor is getting back to us about the Ultimate estimate. To clarify what you said above, did you mean you would opt for the Woodwrights at 35k over the Ultimates (even at the Elevate price of 55k)?

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 months ago

That is correct.

• M Miller
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

I am not a Pro, I can only discuss the Marvin windows and sliding glass doors I have installed in my home. I don't have Andersens, so won't comment on them. I have Marvin Ultimates casement or picture windows throughout, and one Marvin Ultimates sliding French door. I have a separate second sliding French door that is Marvin Elevate. Since that second sliding glass door is rarely used, I decided to save a little money on it and installed the Elevate. All are double-paned glass. The Ultimate is much better than the Elevate IMHO. It looks better, it feels much more solid, it slides better, closes better, locks better. Most of all, when I stand next to the Ultimates, I cannot feel the cold outside - and in my climate, winter night temps are usually 20's, teens, or below. But the Elevate Sliding French door does feel cold when you stand next to it. All were installed by the same top-notch windows installer I have used in 3 homes over 25 years, so it's not an installation difference.

You really must get one or two more quotes from different installers. You also need to make sure you are comparing apples to apples with these quotes re sizes of windows, double-paned or triple-paned (some contractors automatically go to triple-paned and others don't), and the Low-E coating (mine are all Low-E2 including the ones that are unobstructed southern exposure). Low-E2 plenty of coating, I would not get Low-E3 unless I lived in Arizona or similar.

• BlueBlob Gaming
    16 days ago

I would stay away from Marvin products.

• dennisgli
    13 days ago

BlueBob - pleased to see that you received a reasonable response from Marvin.

• res2architect
    13 days ago

I've specified Marvin windows for over 50 years and found their quality and service to be the best.