Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_428443049

Mystery herb / plant

HU-428443049
3 months ago

After much ado I discovered how to start my own thread. I planted four different herbs including thyme in an indoor pot. In the spot where ( I took seeds out of a commercial seed package) the thyme was planted this plant showed up and I have no idea what it is. There is no sign of thyme.

Any ideas?

Comments (14)

• beesneeds
    3 months ago

Looks a lot like a dandilion... and other things. Snap off a leaf. Does it have milk or no? Is the vein of the leaf juicy and fleshy or more stiff and probably not so great for chewing on? What does it smell like?

• HU-428443049
    Original Author
    3 months ago

not a dandelion at least not like the local dandelions, the stem is clear juicy not milky. I cant ID the smell but it does smell familiar. Tastes kind of like romaine lettuce

• floraluk2
    3 months ago

No, it's not a dandelion. Is the taste at all peppery? To me it looks like something in the Brassicaceae.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 months ago

there is a NAME THAT PLANT FORUM ...

i swear i answered this yesterday.. are there multiple posts??.. if there is.. im sure i will find it in a minute or two.. lol.

welcome to the forums.. we will get you up to speed...

sterilize your media next time.. reduces weeds in your pots..

ken

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 months ago

i dont know why you started over.. but here is the link to the old post... proving im not insane.. lol

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6376011/help-with-mystery-plant

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 months ago

It reminds me of arugula.

Also, FWIW, I grew an Italian chicory/endive mix a few years ago, and some of the plants looked like that.

• HU-428443049
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you for the help thus far as I stated earlier it kid of tastes like lettuce not bitter, I live in northern Alberta Canada and its an indoor garden planted in the winter so migration is unlikely . Best guess is some strange seed go mixed into the Thyme seed package so my real concern is "should I keep it growing or toss it with the soil as if it were some invasive weed?

• floraluk2
    3 months ago

I grow Italian chicories and I don't think that's what you have. The chicory leaf shape is different, it has milky sap and the taste is very distinctly bitter.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 months ago

I don't recall milky sap in the ones I grew. I used them for salad. It was a misticanza mix, so I don't know exact varieties, and the seed packet is long gone.

Allowing it to flower might solve the mystery...

• floraluk2
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

Yes. If it's a chicory the flower will be blue.

• Jana Hallett
    20 days ago

It's

• Jana Hallett
    20 days ago

It's

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert