Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_261989788

How to make use of a slope backyard?

Sigrid Poter
4 months ago

Hi~

I am going to purchase my first home and I am really like one new construction. The only concern I got is that it has a slope backyard. The other side of the yard is a wood.

Kindly ask for advices:

1. any landscaping suggestions to make use of it? I am thinking of building retaining walls.
  2. should I worry about erosion, drainage and weeding issues?

Thank you!

Comments (22)

• Sigrid Poter
    Original Author
    4 months ago

snow rarely; unlike to do backyard skiing 🤣

• Sigrid
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

I would worry about that downspout putting water too close to the foundation. Drainage issues depend on your soil. Clay, I might worry. Sandy soil, no worries. Mowing might be a bit of a pain. Just mow weeds. If your lawn is green, it's all good. Who cares if it's all grass or mostly grass.

You shouldn't have a big problem with erosion, except if the sod didn't root.

What do you want to do in your yard?

Great name, BTW

• marmiegard_z7b
    4 months ago

It would be important to know that water runoff isn’t all channeled toward your house. I don’t know how to get tgat assessed.

Regarding terracing, tgat could look nice, with steps to different levels. Depending on how broad the terracing is, you might still be able to have lawn. But if you have narrow strips of terracing, you’ll be to plant some, and it won’t look as tidy as lawn , or be as “low maintenance “ in terms of being mow-able. Actually I think it’s more complicated than that, meaning, you could do groundcover but it would have to establish, or have shrubs & grasses & some perennials, but would take upkeep. weeding.
    So if the slope is not TOO steep for mowing, you might stick with that. And hopefully it’s planted in a tough lawn grass that can survive drought, -Bermuda possibly. But who’s watering at installation to get it started, or was it sodded during winter dormancy? Not a lawn expert I’m afraid.

So it gets back to how you think you want to use that part of the yard & how expensive is it to get there, vs are there other houses/ properties that are easier to work with.

• kitasei2
    4 months ago

Agree that drainpipe is ridiculous… which would make me wonder about the overall drainage plan. If you want lawn, look into robotic mowers. If it were my slope i would plant it with groundcover shrubs or perennials. Retaining walls are very expensive.

• Sigrid
    4 months ago

One presumes with a new build the basement is waterproof.

• kitasei2
    4 months ago

As one would presume the builder would direct roof water away from the foundation…

• cat_ky
    4 months ago

Thats a lot of run off coming down that hill. I have seen this situation several times, because, my area is a bit hilly. Its never a good thing. Lots of potential for flooding etc. I would walk very quickly away from that house.

• kitasei2
    4 months ago

Many houses have been built on slopes. Some of them turn out to have costly or irreparable flooding or erosion issues. Will this be one? That is the new buyer’s risk. An older house would have a history to offer her a clue.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    4 months ago

Slopes are fine as long as the property is graded to have the water run around the house.

• kitasei2
    4 months ago

My advice is to do your own due diligence. Visit the local building department and ask for information about the drainage plan for the whole development and whether it was inspected or self-certified. Hire your own inspector, and not one recommended by the realtor, who in most cases works for the seller. Understand your insurance policy. If I sound overly cautious it may be because I just read The Great Displacement about climate-driven migration. It’s a new world we’re living in when it comes to environmental risk.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

I wouldn’t count on the builder to have mitigated possible drainage issues. At all. Next door to me, a new construction house has their downspout (that looks exactly like your picture) dumping right on the driveway next to the garage door. A very young couple bought it and now, here in frigid north Missouri, their driveway is a solid sheet of ice. Of course you might not have ice but water dumping/draining right at the house is always a no-no. The point of this story is Contractors Don’t Care.

Run, Forrest, run.

• Sigrid
    4 months ago

We had a downspout dumping water right next to the foundation, which resulted in water in the basement. We fixed it by buying downspout extension for $20 or so.

• floraluk2
    4 months ago

I notice that the grass along the house wall is greener than elsewhere. That could mean it is wetter, warmer or both.

• jrb451
    4 months ago

@sigrid poter, does this house have a basement or is it built on a slab?

• Sigrid Poter
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@jrb451
    This house is built on a slab and it has does not have slab.

• Sigrid Poter
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@jrb451
    This house is built on a slab and it has does not have slab.

• Sigrid Poter
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@jrb451 This house is built on a slab and it doesn’t have a basement.

• kitasei2
    4 months ago

OK, let me tell you the story of my house on a slab at the foot of a slope, much farther away from it than yours. The house is an old stone carriage house that was gutted inside. I had just had a wood floor laid in the library when we had a torrential rain, the kind that is now typical here in the east. The rain overwhelmed the french drain that ran alongside the house and seeped through the side. Over the next week I watched with horror as the new wood floor rose up half a foot! I had a new drain installed and relaid a stone floor. There was no insurance coverage because flood is separate and expensive. I am not in a designated flood zone and in fact am near the top of a mountain. I did have a roof gutter installed as well (tied into the drain whuch discharges water further downslope many yards away) but the real issue was the force of rain runoff underground down the slope.

I do not mean to scare you off from buying this house but I hope you can profit from the lesson I learned. Have a strategy for handling extreme weather events.

• Sigrid Poter
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thank you all so much for these professional advices😀. After discussion and one visit on a rainy day, we decided to walk away based on all concerns regarding potential drainage, foundation issues and landscaping cost. RUN FORREST RUN. We do love the community and will continue to check other lots. Hope to find an ideal home with a nice backyard. Really appreciate your help~😄

• Sigrid Poter
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@Sigrid No basement and the soil is clay. Nice name, BTW. 🙌

• cat_ky
    3 months ago

I am happy to read that you have walked away. When you look at other homes, make sure that the yard is graded away from the house, so all water will drain away, rather than to the house. It will also give you a nicer, usable yard. The yard at that previous house was a useless yard.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH