Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliann_lazetera

Why is my townhome not attracting interested buyers ?

Juliann Lazetera
2 months ago

My nieces townhouse has been on the market for a month but it’s not attracting as many interested buyers as I thought it would?
Looking to obtain some expert feedback on the pics below and whether or not I need to change or stage the inside/outside different? It’s priced at what other townhomes are currently selling for?

Comments (31)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 months ago

The inside looks fine but the entrance area looks bleak- one bed with dreaded red mulch, one with brown, two tiny bushes. Presuming the whole neighborhood is similar townhouses I can’t imagine that’s enough to hold it back. What does the realtor say? Has there been showings?

• beesneeds
    2 months ago

A month isn't too bad. What has your niece said about this? Has your niece told you what her realtor has done/said about it?

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    2 months ago

Do other nearby properties follow the gray interior trend too? Though the gallery pictures are small and don’t enlarge well, it seems the kitchen cabinets, some walls, and some floors are gray-ish. That would prevent me from being interested.

Were there pets in the home? Smokers? Both can leave lingering odors.

• kevin9408
    2 months ago

You'll need to provide a city name, price and square footage for any guessing at all.

• ffpalms
    2 months ago

Are you working with an agent? If so I would ask them what feedback they’ve received after viewings.

• palimpsest
    2 months ago

Is there an HOA, and do they have higher fees? Is there any sort of assessment? How is the price compared to other townhouses in the area?

I think pricing of townhouses, condos, and coops is much more linked to the pricing of other units than the pricing of houses in the same neighborhood is linked to each other. With a few outliers at the very top and at the very bottom condition and decor-wise, similar units in square footage, number of bedrooms and baths, and amenities sell with in a very narrow range of price per square foot, and it makes very little difference if one is more updated or decorated more nicely, or has higher quality finishes than another, given similar condition.

If people are looking, they should be giving feedback regarding why the are not considering the unit.

• Lola Bojackie
    2 months ago

Are those kitchen cabinets green or grey?

• chispa
    2 months ago

I think a bit of decor staging would help to warm the place up and give it a bit of personality.

In the bathrooms add some white fluffy towels and a faux potted succulent.

A flowering plant, on a tray, on the coffee table.

I would replace the pub height table and chairs with a regular set. The tall sets make the space look smaller by blocking your view of the room.

Maybe stage the spare bedroom as an office.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    2 months ago

The house is fine, what is the market like in her area? It has to be price if there is not much interest. Some markets have slowed down and it is winter, but there is nothing scary or off-putting in the pictures.

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

"It’s priced at what other townhomes are currently selling for."

So same units in the same building have sold at this price in the past 90 days?

What did those look like?

What do the other condos on the market at the same price look like? Are they the same size, same number of bedrooms and bathrooms, equally desirable location and similar HOA.

If a buyer is looking at this price range why would they choose one of the other condos on the market rather than make an offer on this townhome?

Have any other townhomes in this price range gone into a pending sale or sold status in the past 30 days? Why did those buyers choose the other property?

Some areas are simply slow right now. Interest rates are high and first time home buyers are getting priced out of the market.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    2 months ago

I looked at the pictures again, maybe revisit the kitchen. Looks short on cabinets and counter space. What do the kitchens in the comps look like?

• salonva
    2 months ago

So same units in the same building have sold at this price in the past 90 days?

Have any other townhomes in this price range gone into a pending sale or sold status in the past 30 days?

I think all the comments are on point but mostly I think Jennifer Hogan has summed it up. If homes are on the market but not moving, ( being sold), then it really doesn't matter that the listing price is the same as the others not selling.

It will be interesting if the op returns and gives some more info. I can't really see detail in the photos but there is nothing glaringly wrong with anything.

• Maureen
    2 months ago

A month is not long, given there are probably less buyers with the interest rates/increased home costs, especially for new home buyers trying to get into the market. Markets tend to pick up in the spring if that helps. When did the neighbours sell, can her agent find out from the old listings what advantages they had over hers. The agent should also have had feedack on comments from showings , ie: cabinets? I don’t think these alone would be the reason for not even getting offers, or did she, and they were too low, and maybe that’s the state of the market right now.

• mle0782
    2 months ago

Don’t know the location, but in our market, despite very limited inventory, things still move more slowly until mid-late February. What does the listing agent say is typical for that market? Inside looks ok, but, honestly, most of what you see from the front is garage which many folks dislike. Move the trash bin inside the garage and as soon as it warms up outside, put some planter with color by the front door and plant some annuals to liven things up.

• HU-918119203
    2 months ago

If your house isn't selling quickly, there's always one reason: Price.

• Juliann Lazetera
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Ok I’ll let her know! Thx for all the feedback!

• Juliann Lazetera
    Original Author
    2 months ago

OK, thank you I will let her know and thanks again for all the feedback!

• Juliann Lazetera
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Her agent is going to do some staging and she has updated her outside based on all the feedback. Lesson learned on the kitchen cabinets but at this point repainting is not in the budget…thank you all for your honest feedback!

• arcy_gw
    2 months ago

Painting cabinets is not a DIY. You need a professional and that will cost almost the same as new cabinets. That is why it's such a horrible idea to paint them!!

• Lola Bojackie
    2 months ago

So the cabinets are green??? That's a $10k reduction on any offer I would make for that home.

• elcieg
    2 months ago

Tub doors. There are some beauties out there. This one is frameless.

• Stax
    2 months ago

" Painting cabinets is not a DIY."

Nonsense!

• elcieg
    2 months ago

The green cabinets don't bother me at all. But, I do have an idea that might make them work even better. There is a window right near the dining table. Why not add draperies to give it more of a dining room feel and introduce a new color; one which coordinates with the green. Add a large pothos plant to the table. (a real one).

First photo shows my idea:

https://www.wayfair.com/decor-pillows/pdp/bay-isle-home-panagia-floral-room-darkening-thermal-rod-pocket-curtain-panels-w005271102.html?piid=1408882461%2C1410047874&categoryid=481844&placement=3&slot=0&sponsoredid=431d2df438db820d9ac361064aaa18f74fb49222132c2c7b27c996eeb2303cf9&_txid=I%2FWEwmXXpZaQt8%2BDXNrvAg%3D%3D&isB2b=0&auctionId=9f017342-1f32-49f0-921c-a00f0a5c7a55

• ShadyWillowFarm
    2 months ago

I still think it’s the kitchen- not enough counter space or cabinets. I really don’t understand the layout of the space. There is an entry door with a half wall and a big dinette set, which is the only eating area, and a teeny kitchen with no workspace or storage. The living room looks really big, but that could be the camera angle.

• kevin9408
    2 months ago

Anything will sell if the price is right, price matters. Putting lip stick on a pig still makes it a pig, and the price is obviously to high. I've found many will walk away from an overpriced pig but eventually there will be that one special buyer who will make an offer, but we don't know it any offers were made.

Since the OP doesn't want to tell the entire story I'm saying it's the price, and they're using comps from the past 2 years when interest were 3 and 4 percent and looking in the rear view mirror. The St. Louis federal reserve showing the average sales price of homes in the United States has dropped 12% since the Q4 of 2022. Every townhouse in that addition are exactly the same, what are people getting last week is all that matters, not last year.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    2 months ago

“What people were getting last week is all that matters, not last year.” Exactly.

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 months ago

Realtors often will come in and give a pie in the sky listing price, back it up with "comps" that are not really the comps - bigger, in a different neighborhood or a nicer newer building. People list with the realtor recommending the highest list price instead of the realtor that is being honest. As a realtor you need the phone to ring and the only way the phone rings is when you have listings. After 30 days, when the property hasn't sold you recommend a price drop.

They signed a 6 month listing agreement and if you keep lowering the price eventually someone will buy the property. If it doesn't sell within 6 months they will go to another realtor, but you still got 6 months of buyer leads from the property.

• shirlpp
    2 months ago

Dang!

• arcy_gw
    2 months ago

Nothing worse than a crap flip and they are a dime a dozen these days. #1DD was sooo frustrated with these when she was looking a few years back. DO NOT put YOUR likes in a home for sale--NO ONE ELSE agrees with YOU!!!

• ShadyWillowFarm
    2 months ago

Kendrah for the win.🏆