Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_478653028

Prepping House to Sell, Need Opions

Debi Rotert
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

I’d like some staging decor advice.

**We will be selling EVERYTHING and going tiny so we don’t want to buy things to stage if at all possible. I’ll present one room at a time. The home is a 20 year old 1,700sq ft ranch on acreage.

Today is the living room, it is 15ft x 15ft plus a small entry area. Tell me- rug or no rug? What else needs to be moved or changed?

Comments (12)

• Debi Rotert
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Dog not included in showing.

• salonva
    2 months ago

When we were selling 5 years ago, they had us remove all rugs to show off the floors. Your rug is on the small side for the room and I think the room definitely looks better without it. It looks larger and the floors really are a selling point.

Debi Rotert thanked salonva
  • Rho Dodendron
    2 months ago

You can't second guess eveyone. I would align the rug on an angle with the furniture and call it good. Or line up the furniture with the floor planks to make the room larger.

Debi Rotert thanked Rho Dodendron
  • aziline
    2 months ago

Move the chair by the door. When people first enter the room it's single file between the TV console and that chair. I'd instantly think "this house is small/doesn't have enough room." The room is a good size so don't give buyers the wrong idea.

I'd put away the table behind the door for the same reason. Let the front door open all the way up without hitting anything.

Debi Rotert thanked aziline
  • Kendrah
    2 months ago

Nice floors, spacious room, cute dog.

Square off your furniture. This angled set up feels and looks unsettling. Sofa along the back wall, but pulled off the wall about 8-12". Try both arm chairs on wall across from window. Too narrow putting one at the entry way. Place small round table between them. Place lamp table on the window end of the sofa. Take the plastic off the lamp shade.

Do you have furniture from another room you can move in here as a coffee table? If so, put the rug under that in front of your sofa.

Remove everything from your entryway table - bye-bye plants. Do you have an extra mirror you can hang above that table instead of the star? It will make it feel more like an entryway area. I'd Take at least 1/3 of your hung items off the wall - unless they will leave too many nail holes. Remove the cross.

When I staged I donated or sold everything I could and put in storage lots of little tables and chairs and doodads. I also moved furniture around to different rooms to set them up in ways that looked more pleasing to the average person. It was like shopping at home and kind of fun.

Debi Rotert thanked Kendrah
  • arcy_gw
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Why is the couch cutting the corner? Square it all up. You are decreasing the room's size. You want to maximize it. Put the couch up against the wall facing the window. Form a conversation group with the chairs either in front of the window or on the long wall. Leaving the window open makes the room look larger. Rug can stay if you use it properly. Anchor it with the couch legs and a table or by the chairs to define their tetatet.

• elcieg
    last month
    last modified: last month

Take of all wall decor. Rearrange sofa, two chairs, and rug. Invest in a coffee table, floor lamp and live floor plant. Do some art over sofa. Take the sheers off the windows

Use the table and lamp in some other room...make sure you take off the plastic wrap.

• pricklypearcactus
    last month

Completely agree with the comments that the furniture on an angle is not showcasing the room well. I also think having the TV on the wall right as someone enters the house (I think that's the front door) is not going to be a pleasant entry. I would look to place the TV on another wall and square up the furniture in the room. Right now it looks crowded to walk right into the side of the media cabinet.

If it were me, I'd put gliders under the furniture legs and try a few different arrangements. My first thought would be to put the TV across from the window. Then the sofa on the wall across from the TV now. And then angle the chairs towards the sofa with space to walk between in a conversation group. Or possibly chairs against the window wall.

The goal is to create a feeling of how the space can be used for the buyers and to showcase it's features. You don't need to have new furniture for that as your furniture is in good shape and reasonably scaled for the room. You want to make the room look like a comfortable space where you're showcasing the beautiful wood floors, vaulted ceilings, and a lovely big window. Be sure to open the curtains (including sheers) when you're showing the place.

As far as decor, in my opinion you have too many small things and some are hung too high. It's a bit distracting. You should definitely remove any family photos as well. The goal is for the buyer to picture themselves in your home, not see what you look like. I would also recommend removing anything religous as you never know the beliefs of the potential buyers.

• arcy_gw
    last month

I think the sofa has to go back to the window--your curtains are too short. They should just kiss the floor. They say remove anything of a personal nature but when we've looked at homes those that look like hotel rooms don't show as well as a home where people live and are happy. So there's a balance you need to hit. Anyone purchasing a home is not going to be turned off by the previous owners faith beliefs. That's just idiotic. If a home is DRIPPING in anything it makes the owner seem kooky but one cross does not a fanatic make. It's not even a crucifix (GASP) for heavens sake.

• apple_pie_order
    last month

Things to show off: big front window and beautiful wood flooring.

Take down all the wall decor. Square up the furniture on the three walls that don't have the window (leave the window wall open). Put the lamp and table in between the two chairs. Remove yellow sheers.

Then take some more photos.

• Louise Smith
    last month

Take the cellophane off the lamp shade.