Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richard_mcneil2

Coming out of the closet

2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

Tomorrow, will be bringing out the subtropicals from the garage/greenhouse..., Cycads, Citrus, Palms, Oleanders, Agaves, loquats, olives, hardy bananas, etc. here in NJ (Zone 7b).

Comments (10)

• 2 months ago

Mine are going out today.

• 2 months ago

I'm in a much milder zone but we are nowhere near read to move tender stuff outside. Nighttime temps still hover right around freezing or slightly above (a hail storm and some light snow last night - only 37F now at 8:30 am) and I never move out anything until nighttime temps maintain at at least 45 degrees, if not higher.

• 2 months ago

You're so lucky! I can't put anything out until after Memorial Day. I was trying to console my Ficus Audrey yesterday because she really wants to go outside!

• 2 months ago

Ficus are mostly super tropical, would NEVER put one outside here this early. Only subtropical Ficus I know, are the cold hardy (here), true FIGS (F. carica) and the creeping fig but I have NEVER kept the creeping one alive for more than a few hours, they need constant watering, and I have 0 time or patience for that! I love most Ficus though.

P.S., Climate in Colorado is NUTS! Had and East coast friend who moved out to Colorado Springs, loves it, but says that she can NEVER alternate SUMMER vs. WINTER clothes as you can be warm in mid Winter and freezing in May! My growing season is pretty long, especially in more recent years..., so like 220 plus days at least. This winter was especially mild my camellia are now at peak and will soon shut down tiil next November. So, yeah, pretty much like northern Alabama here now, climatologically speaking.

• 2 months ago

Beautiful! We can't even grow Camelias here. I'm really jealous.

• 2 months ago

They have never been at peak here, at 41 North, this early (February-early March), normally mid to late March. Popmoma, not just your climate, they are pH acid loving big time. I LOVE them too! Most of the plants I love seem to be acid-loving; gardenias, hydrangeas, rhododendrons , magnolias, azaleas, etc...

M. grandiflora 'Victoria'

• last month

Still in peak, this year, they started to bloom in November into December. then January into February, but March is the peak, once it get past mid April, they are off for the summer, so strictly flower in the cold or chilly months. I just bought another, this one, double, medium pink. So far, liking this Spring, it has been moderate without any real cold, have had all my subtropicals (Citrus, palms) out since March 1st. Went back for yet another, all sold out within a week.

• last month

All my citrus are outside here in New England. Even with snow on them during our snow storm last week which we didn’t get all winter. They did well. I keep them on the cold side all winter anyways, so they are use to it.
    My camellia blooms like crazy on my cold porch. But once the temps warm too much they wither away so outside it went. Smells so good.
    I can’t wait for the temps to be consistently above the forties which isn’t until May. Even then we are know to get a frost here and there and I refuse to play musical chairs with mine. Ha
    Mike

• last month
    last modified: last month

Gotta say, I liked this Spring! No late arctic air masses (thank you CANADA!) Most of my tropicals/subtropicals came out on March 2nd (Citrus, Cycads, Date palms, fan palms, loquats, gingers, Queens, Pindos). Many years I hated April WORST for sending in subfreezing temps in April.