Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkayroberts82

Advice on planting blueberry plant

Jessica
2 months ago

I am thinking about getting a pink lemonade blueberry plant. I have never grown any type of blueberry and I have read that they need a pH between 4-5. The pH in my soil is 7. The space I found to put it is in full sun and about 11 feet circle of space. There is raspberries to the left and a peony to the right and a fence behind it. So would I be able to adjust the pH of the soil just in the blueberry area without affecting the plants nearby? How long would the pH stay low?

Comments (9)

• Yvonne Martin
    2 months ago

It can be hard to change the pH of the soil--it would require constant attention to keep it low. Read up on it before you decide.

Jessica thanked Yvonne Martin
  • kitasei2
    2 months ago

I know people who grow blueberies in big pots. Maybe that's the way to go.

Jessica thanked kitasei2
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 months ago

" So would I be able to adjust the pH of the soil just in the blueberry area without affecting the plants nearby? " No

" How long would the pH stay low? " Not long enough to keep the blueberry happy.

It is very difficult to alter soil pH to any substantial degree and nearly impossible to maintain at that level. If your current soil pH is 7, forget about growing blueberries in the ground. Grow them in a container that you can fill with acid planting mix and that you can monitor and adjust as necessary.

btw, while blueberries are technically self fertile, a single plant will produce a very meager crop. You need at least 2 different types for best cropping and I'd stretch that out to 3 - one each of early, mid or late season croppers.

Jessica thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • floraluk2
    last month
    last modified: last month

I grow 3 blueberries in pots. And I water with rainwater. When I first got them I tried them in the ground but they were very unhappy. No way to adjust the pH sufficiently for them. Within days of replanting in pots of ericaceous compost they had greened up.

Jessica thanked floraluk2
  • Jessica
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you to all who answered. But if I put them in pots, how would they survive the winter. I am in zone 5 and the type of blueberry I wanted is hardy to zone 4. Wouldn't they freeze if left outside in a pot? I have also heard of people bringing their potted plants into the house or garage for the winter, but I think this would be too heavy to move. I know they are big plants so they must need a really big pot.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last month

Yes, the entire pot could freeze and that would be the end of the blueberry. One method to avoid this is to sink the container into the ground so the insulating mass of the soil will protect it from freezing solid. Blueberries also come in a range of sizes....not all grow into large shrubs. Pink Lemonade stays relatively compact and there are other, smaller varieties that will help with cross pollination and offer great taste as well. A great many people grow plants, including trees, that are not fully winter hardy in a container and routinely move them inside for winter protection. It can be done.

And finally, you may need to realize that not all plants are going to be suitable for your specific situation and you may need to consider alternatives.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    last month

I grow a few different varieties and blueberries and they seem to do well with an annual feeding of Holly-Tone. I don't know what my soil pH is so I don't know if the pH is tolerable for them and Holly-Tone just makes it a little better, or the Holly-Tone is some kind of magic in a bag.

• floraluk2
    last month
    last modified: last month

If they're doing well your soil the pH already suits them imo. I tried a specific ericaceous feed on mine when they were in the ground. Totally ineffective. The soil was just too alkaline for them and nothing added to it would make it work.