Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_918119203

Before and after - antique cottage kitchen

HU-918119203
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

The kitchen is about as clean as it’s going to get and the forsythia branches I cut are just beginning to bloom, so it’s as good a time as any to post an official before and after (though I don’t consider this project truly *done* done yet, and I’ve posted some of it before). This forum was and continues to be super helpful for an indecisive overthinker like me, so thank you! Totally worth enduring the Houzz hazing rituals.

Here’s the before; not awful, basically functional, but very little drawer storage, none very deep. Typical early 2000s Tuscan-inspired kitchen with some updates (backsplash, honed counters) from the prior owner. I HATED this floor (indestructible but always looked filthy) which made no sense in my house (an 1800s barn converted to a house circa 1900). Not pictured here was a horrible reach in pantry that was just a stack of sagging shelves reached via a closet door. Kitchen was closed off from the dining room and rest of the house, which just didn’t work in a small house like this.

Scope of work involved removing the wall between the kitchen and dining room and replacing windows in both rooms. I performed other renovations on the interior and exterior as part of this project. Construction lasted roughly from March-September 2023, and finished about on budget. I lived in the house through construction, and survived with most of my sanity intact.

Here’s the after!

IDs on key finishes/fixtures:

• Cabinet/wall/trim color: FB Pointing
  • Hardware: Merit Metal UL Brass
  • Island top: Walnut Woodworks
  • Hood: Best WP28M
  • Perimeter counters: Olympian White Danby marble
  • Faucet: Rohl San Julio C-Spout, polished nickel
  • Ceiling lights: Ralph Lauren Marine Flushmount
  • Backsplash: Levante Sirocco Glossy 4x4 Field

I kept my 20 year old Sub Zero fridge and Viking stove; they work fine, they’re the right size for the kitchen, and the lead time can’t be beat!

Regrets: Backsplash is the only major one, and I’ll likely replace it in the near term. Otherwise, I would probably have spent the extra few thousand for exposed butt hinges, but that’s with the knowledge that the project has finished on time and budget! I also wonder what drugs I was taking when deciding electrical switching…

Things still to complete/buy: Stools for island; maybe a different rug at the sink (an antique cotton dhurrie maybe *isn’t* super practical here…). Eventually will swap out kitchen chairs. For the open shelves, planning to eventually fill with dish/glassware I actually use. Don’t love the overstyled look. I just don’t have that much I want to look at every day right now!

After drying out all winter and settling (in a 120+ year old house where “plumb” is a foreign concept) there are also a lot of minor trim and caulking issues my contractor is coming back to tackle.

It’s funny, the only thing I KNEW when I started this project was that I did NOT want a white kitchen. Now, the space feels so open and bright that I can’t imagine it in the navy blues or murky greens I’d originally planned on.

Comments (26)

• chispa
    2 months ago

Hard to tell where you found the extra space? The kitchen looks great.

HU-918119203 thanked chispa
  • Barrheadlass
    2 months ago

Beautiful! What brand are the cabinets?

HU-918119203 thanked Barrheadlass
  • M Miller
    2 months ago

It is beautiful! I like all your choices. As to "a different rug at the sink" from what you have now, I would opt for No Rug. Your kitchen floor is beautiful, can you please provide the details on it? I would not want to cover the wood floor at all. Plus, a rug is a pain to clean, yet gets pretty dirty with drips and spills in the kitchen. Perhaps just a gel mat right in front of the sink for more comfortable standing.

HU-918119203 thanked M Miller
  • HU-918119203
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks! No extra space, except repurposing the old pantry into the appliance garage - incredible what a difference a wall makes!

Cabinets are custom from a local shop.

• Emily R.
    2 months ago

I actually love that blue backsplash! And I think the short marble splash looks really good; it's nice to see something different than the tiled-from-the-counter look.

HU-918119203 thanked Emily R.
  • Joseph Babcock
    2 months ago

I like the backsplash too and how it ties to the other blues in the dining room; the walnut is a really nice pop in contrast to the perimeter.

HU-918119203 thanked Joseph Babcock
  • Emily
    2 months ago

Nicely done!

HU-918119203 thanked Emily
  • bpath
    2 months ago

It’s lovely. And I like the short marble backsplash, too. It’s all you need, and in keeping with the feel. If you ever want to change wall color (say, you really yearn for those blues and greens), you can, easily.

The paneling in that one spot is charming, and just enough.

HU-918119203 thanked bpath
  • HU-910663146
    2 months ago

Great job. Beautiful! Pat yourself on the back several times. You done good

HU-918119203 thanked HU-910663146
  • J Sk
    2 months ago
    last modified: last month

Lovely, including backsplash ;-). You made everything work harmoniously !

• chicagoans
    2 months ago

Wowza! Gorgeous! I’m sure it makes you smile every time you walk in. Enjoy!

HU-918119203 thanked chicagoans
  • Olychick
    2 months ago

Gorgeous! I am not a fan of white kitchens, but the color of yours is wonderful and the walnut counter adds a generous touch of warmth and individuality. The white is perfect for your home and other finishes.

HU-918119203 thanked Olychick
  • kazzh
    2 months ago

I can’t reconcile the before to the after! The sense of space has changed it so dramatically that I can’t really believe it is the same footprint. Congratulations, bask in your new kitchen.

HU-918119203 thanked kazzh
  • HU-293145532
    last month

Beautiful! Love the countertops.

HU-918119203 thanked HU-293145532
  • maree85
    last month

It’s so bright and airy now - such a beautiful space you’ve created!

HU-918119203 thanked maree85
  • eandhl2
    last month

Love your inset cabicabinets !

HU-918119203 thanked eandhl2
  • kculbers
    last month

Lovely and well done! Enjoy your beautiful kitchen.

HU-918119203 thanked kculbers
  • Bluebell66
    last month

Very pretty. It's a perfect cottage kitchen!

HU-918119203 thanked Bluebell66
  • Kendrah
    last month

Where to begin? Gil Schaffer would be so proud. This is my favorite ever before and after on Houzz. Such restraint, refinement, and beauty. Congrats.

HU-918119203 thanked Kendrah
  • M Miller
    last month

@HU-918119203 I don't think you saw my previous comment - at least I am hoping not, since mine was the only one you didn't thank so hoping that's cause you didn't see it, not cause I offended! I had asked for more details on your new wood floor - it looks great, so I would love to know what brand, or any information about the floor's installation. TIA.

HU-918119203 thanked M Miller
  • HU-918119203
    Original Author
    last month

Sorry, didn’t see your comment - thanks! The floor is plain old no-brand red (gasp) oak stained to blend with the original c.1900 floors in the living room. Maybe the least expensive major element in the whole project! I would’ve loved to do something special, but in a small house/space having a single uniform floor throughout made the most sense.

• Emily H
    last month

Love the marble and wood countertops, they add so much to the space!

• theresa21
    last month

Perfection! What a beautiful kitchen! Congrats!

I love the range BS! It provides depth and anchors the range wall. I love that the BS's depth of color is repeated in your dining room. Looks great!

• PRO
    lisedv
    last month

Beautiful! Enjoy your new kitchen!

• rockybird
    last month

I can't believe the change! It looks fabulous and so much more open and airy! I love the cabinets, gold hardware, backsplash and that beautiful island top! You couldn't have done better!