Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_267320051

Are the Marvin Essential casements cleanable from the interior?

HU-267320051
23 days ago

I have a quote for the Essential casement windows and some Elevate doors but couldn’t find anyone locally with an actual model. I drove yesterday about 1.5 hrs to see a model and was surprised to find the hinge didn’t slide over upon opening enough to allow exterior cleaning from the inside between the frame and edge of the window. The model was labeled Integrity which to my understanding is the exact same line rebranded, correct?
I was hoping the display had some sort of egress hinge but the sales rep did not think so and said that was a downfall of this line. I really think this might be a deal breaker for me and she said Elevate windows would be the exact same way. Do you really have to upgrade to Signature to be able to fit your arm through? Obviously wash mode on the higher model would be ideal but those are way out of budget. Hoping other with experience can chime in if I saw an old model or am missing something.

Comments (16)

• millworkman
    23 days ago
    last modified: 23 days ago

" The model was labeled Integrity which to my understanding is the exact same line rebranded, correct? "

Correct. The Elevate and Essentials (used to be Integrity All Ultrex and Ultrex/Wood) are somewhat limited in their option on purpose as they are made to compete with some of the other companies entry level and one step up windows. I do not believe the cleaning option was ever added to the hinging.

• HU-267320051
    Original Author
    23 days ago

I knew they didn’t have wash mode. It just surprised me that it only opened about 3” from the edge where other brands I have seen seem to slide over 5”-6” to leave plenty of room.

Also, I have seen you highly discourage Quaker on here. I see Quaker widely used in my area (possibly more than any other brand) and I just wanted to ask why you dislike them specifically. Is it quality control or customer service or a combination?

• millworkman
    23 days ago

" Is it quality control or customer service or a combination? "

Product quality, quality control, customer service and the distributors at the time I was selling residential. As far as I am aware none of that has changed. Having been in the business maybe I am a harsher critic, but they were borderline awful on all points.

• HU-267320051
    Original Author
    23 days ago

I appreciate any input both good or bad. I have debated over this decision far too long and just need to pull the trigger.

It all makes my head spin because I never see Marvin here (on new construction at least where I see stickers) and we have two dealers. One straight up told me they absolutely wouldn’t recommend them under any circumstances because they won’t cover warranty claims and drag their feet on answering any communication. The other which I have my quote from said they just don’t really sell it often so don’t deal with them much but feel it’s a solid window.
    I briefly looked at Quaker before any other brands but had crossed it off my list after reading reviews on here. I just see it so often I thought I would ask if it was more a quality issue or customer service.
    I have learned window brand satisfaction even of the “major” name brands seems largely dependent on location and maybe a lot has to do with brand reps that work with the local dealers?

• millworkman
    22 days ago
    last modified: 22 days ago

Dealer network can definitely influence peoples choices. I have not heard of any dealers of Marvin, saying to not use them, seems odd but I was not there. I think the warranty and questions issue is probably more the distributor than Marvin themselves but I do not know that for sure. But at the end of the day the dealer is what people see many times much more than the manufacturer.

• HU-910663146
    22 days ago

I just bought a Marvin Signature Modern awning window. One dealer was $1,300 more expensive than the other for just 1 window. To upgrade to triple pane was less than $150.

I bought Marvin Signature because it is fiberglass exterior and aluminum interior--NO WOOD--like the Essential line, which is fiberglass exterior and fiberglass interior. Essential did not have an large enough window--the Signature line did.

I did not want any wood because my very expensive ProVia trapezoid window ($10k) is leaking and has black mold on the wood interior. The BS runaround relative to that has been going on for over 4-5 months, and I am not particularly hopeful that it will be resolved unless I make it a legal issue.

We all have different things that matter to us. But cleaning ease would matter much less to me than quality of the window materials.

• HU-267320051
    Original Author
    22 days ago

I really loved the signature too! I had her price one window just to see the percentage difference and it was around 125% more based on just a fixed 2x2 window. We just can’t swing that and honestly in our area we would never see a ROI. We will stay in this house a while
    but not forever.
    Anyway, I have realized I overreacted about the cleaning ability. I will have some fixed upper story windows with my casements that will be difficult to clean which I didn’t consider. I guess I was just so caught off guard because I had not seen anyone mention that and after looking at so many other samples and watching videos 99% of other casements seem to be a non issue.
    I’m sorry about your Provia issues and hope they get resolved soon.

• Kate Cowers
    22 days ago

I'm all for cleaning ease. But sometimes you have to bite the bullet and compromise. We redid all our windows in late 2022 with Renewal by Andersen. Love them love them love them. But....they are all custom sized, mostly double and triple sliders with some casements, and while the sliders are "lift and remove" so you can clean the outsides, the windows weigh a ton and we've decided it's just easier to call a window cleaning company to clean all the outsides. We certainly do the insides ourselves.

I've never heard of Quaker windows so can't be helpful there. I do like the look of Marvin windows. I think the reason we didn't go with them as the one local company that carries them did not have a specific contractor to install them and we didn't feel like shopping around to find someone.

Aren't Marvin the windows that "rotate" so you can spin them and clean the outside?

• millworkman
    22 days ago

" Aren't Marvin the windows that "rotate" so you can spin them and clean the outside? "

Not available in the Essentials or Elevate lines as these are builder grade and one step up. You need to upgrade to the signature line for those options.

• Kate Cowers
    22 days ago

Thanks millworkman. I just remember seeing those and thinking that is such a cool way to clean windows!

• T T
    22 days ago

While it might be an anomaly, after seeing some of the recent Marvin horror stories and pictures of the windows that they let leave the factory, I would also be concerned about Marvin today versus Marvin in the past.

• HU-267320051
    Original Author
    22 days ago

TT, did you read stories on here or elsewhere? I have tried to research all I can and search for negative reviews so I’m fully informed.

• T T
    22 days ago

On here. This top one really stood out to me. Again maybe these are anomolies but I would use a good dealer if I were buying Marvin windows.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6434367/horrible-marvin-ultimate-quality

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6387189/has-marvin-quality-and-service-deteriorated-in-the-last-year-or-two

• HU-267320051
    Original Author
    22 days ago

Well, somehow I missed both of those posts. Thank you so much for bringing them to my attention! Those first photos were absolutely atrocious and I can’t imagine how much they paid for them. 😩
    I understand all companies have issues and I won’t be surprised if I have one no matter what brand I choose. The action taken by the brand to correct the problem and stand behind their product is what matters. This coupled with the fact that my local distributor said they had so much trouble getting warranty work done gives me pause. I think like mentioned in that thread, the distributors around here don’t sell much Marvin so they likely aren’t a high priority to the company.

• T T
    22 days ago

I would trust your Builder and local Distributors on what brands to get. You're the ones that have to deal with the issues if they come up. There are some folks on here that are highly critical of Pella Windows for instance, and that steered me away from that brand. However, locally, Pella seems to be used quite a bit and particularly in many of the luxury homes due to the thin frames that they offer (compared to Andersen). Just don't use what you see Production tract builders using and you will probably be fine if you trust your dealer's advice.

• BlueBlob Gaming
    12 days ago

Please stay away from Marvin you WILL REGRET purchasing POS product and warranty !!!